Click-ON prop guards

Reaction score
Re: Prop Guard Quick Connect

*gasp!* You have the dreaded carbon props!! I have no idea why people frown on them yet (Just got my P2V+ today...)

If a set of four costs $31.99 that's close to the Atlanta Hobby price but a little cheaper. Shipping is also less expensive.

The Atlanta Hobby versions look thicker and seem more durable. Though I think theirs are 3D printed also.
I have no idea really, just based on the impression from the photos.
Edit: I take it back. Closeups of the Atlanta hobby version seem comparable to these. Though they do come with screws.

Anyone have either version of these that can post a review?

cahutch said:
If a set of four costs $31.99 that's close to the Atlanta Hobby price but a little cheaper. Shipping is also less expensive.

The Atlanta Hobby versions look thicker and seem more durable. Though I think theirs are 3D printed also.
I have no idea really, just based on the impression from the photos.
Edit: I take it back. Closeups of the Atlanta hobby version seem comparable to these. Though they do come with screws.

Anyone have either version of these that can post a review?

Yeah I have to admit the atlanta hobby 's ones took us by surprise. The day before we received our fist prototypes I saw the Atlanta Hobby ones and felt crushed that someone on the other side of the world had the same idea as us. We pretty much decided not to bother further developing ours and I was just going to buy the Atlanta Hobby ones as all I really wanted was a quick way to put on my prop guards, that was until they came back to me with $55USD shipping to Australia. That worked out to be $95AUD all up. Thats when I thought screw it, lets continue with developing ouf own design and since then we have made heaps of prototypes to come up with the 2 designs that we have now.

I cant say much about the Atlanta Hobby design, but we have made 2 versions. One with pins and one without. The one without pins I guess would be closest comparison to the AH, but ours has re-enforced walls for a tighter grip and are more durable. We have also opted for a higher quality plastic. There is a cheaper plastic but we didn't want to bring out something that wasn't what we would want to use ourselves. The V2 with pins is the better of the two (totally diff from the AH design from what I can tell) but we do recognise that some people don't like the pins so we created the option.

I cant say much for the AH version but we pride ourselves in creating a good design. Remember we originally designed these for ourselves, it was never intended to be sold to others until the demand for them became evident, and so here we are.

I hope you guys like em, were pretty proud of our new babies, and they work fantastic :).

I have the Atlanta hobby ones. They have pins , nubs on them. I like yours, but like the Atlanta hobby kinda pricey for 4.
Yours seem to have a more positive lock , but who knows if there any better unless you have them side by side.

The Atlanta Hobby version (which I bought but haven't yet used) are printed, and because of that the manufacturer (printer) advises to not allow them to be heated over 120 degrees F. That's a relatively cool temperature and my trunk could easily exceed that temperature (which is why I haven't even tried using them). I'm not sure exactly what happens to them at that temperature, but I am not anxious to trust them to my Phantom if they are going to fall apart in flight.

This is a great solution! I have 2 sets of prop guards thinking I would use them all the time. But the size of the case required or the option of unscrewing things every time meant I just chucked my bird in the air with no protection for my blades or objects around me. I do find flying with the guards a little more unstable in very heavy winds but now at least I will have the option ready to go in a snap on version when required. Will place an order next pay day. Thanks heaps for sharing what looks to have started as a personal project with the community. Really shows that you are selling something at the quality and cost you would expect if you were the consumer.

slothead said:
The Atlanta Hobby version (which I bought but haven't yet used) are printed, and because of that the manufacturer (printer) advises to not allow them to be heated over 120 degrees F. That's a relatively cool temperature and my trunk could easily exceed that temperature (which is why I haven't even tried using them). I'm not sure exactly what happens to them at that temperature, but I am not anxious to trust them to my Phantom if they are going to fall apart in flight.

Ive just checked where mine are printed and their heat resistance is rated 80 ºC 176 ºF . I don't know if that helps but yeah considerably higher rating that 120F.

I got a set of these and when I started to put them on, regretted it. They lower the guard by at least an inch. This means they protect less, and get in the way of the camera more. Am I missing something? I think the better idea is to design the entire guard with this approach, rather than an add-on.

dvance said:
I got a set of these and when I started to put them on, regretted it. They lower the guard by at least an inch. This means they protect less, and get in the way of the camera more. Am I missing something? I think the better idea is to design the entire guard with this approach, rather than an add-on.
Well they should be better than nothing when you'll be flying near people or close to objects. Without these, you'd probably not bother to have any guards in those situations.
Yeah, the guards are visible on the camera if you're in a Wide FOV, so that's a factor if you need Wide Angle but they'd be visible anyway if they were attached with screws.

Can you include the required screws and nuts,,, I don't mind paying the required additional charges ???

to buy this as a complete package is preferred !

Ok thank you for the detailed explanation regarding the shipping costs.

I will find some way to get the required screw / nuts

Please add Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates to you shipping destinations as I have just placed an order....

;)

My concern about the Firebolt product, though cheaper, is the two plastic pins that get inserted into the prop arm holes. I'm specifically referring to the savemyphantom.com website photo seen here. http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-ahqip.../DSC07182__61486.1409960526.1280.1280.JPG?c=2 To me, it looks as though those two little plastic posts on this product are soft plastic that could eventually break off after multiple on and off flexing motion. The plastic product looks to be unrefined with plastic threads still coming off the pins as can be seen in the photo. To be fair, the plastic COULD be hard and the ragged soft look of those pins could simply be a result of how the 3D printer laid down the layers of plastic in production - but I, as a consumer, am willing to spend a few extra bucks for what I perceive to be a better-made product that is going to last longer. I also, personally, don't care for the way thedjiguy continually bashes his competition on this forum in a very unprofessional manner. A very poor marketing approach IMO. I have no skin in this game. I'm just giving my opinion as a P2V+ owner and member of this forum who works with people in the marketing and advertising field in our company. I have also attached the same photo below as a backup in case the for some reason the above link doesn't work.

UPDATE: Interesting.. Just what I was concerned about, I find this review on the savemyphantom.com website.

"Broke - Posted by Unknown on 4th Oct 2014 - Mine broke after the second install, did just like video explained and broke off one of the little knobs that go into Phantom arm. Was worried about that and sure as heck it happened, great idea just need to somehow make that stronger?? I will be sending mine back"

It is a bit strange that the above comment shows up the same day I post my honest concern here. I did not post that comment. IMO that particular comment on thedjiguy's website should be ignored as it is too much of a coincidence that it just happened to show up on the same day as my post here. Like I said, I have no skin in this game. I'm just considering which product I might buy as a consumer and looking at the pros and cons of each, price being only one of the factors.

Attachments

• DSC07182__61486.1409960526.1280.1280.JPG
    DSC07182__61486.1409960526.1280.1280.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 517
MapMaker53 said:
I'm specifically referring to the savemyphantom.com website photo seen here. http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-ahqip.../DSC07182__61486.1409960526.1280.1280.JPG?c=2

Yes. I 100% agree. I need to update those pictures as that was of an early unit. Since then, we have upgraded our design and have even upgraded our manufacturing.

You mention one review where the customer had already emailed. His unit was damaged by USPS during transit. I have since sorted it out and I am sending him another set. You must have missed these reviews:

Posted by Tom Deck on 25th Sep 2014

"I was only using my prop guards because of the set of thunderbolts I had purchased that let me slip them on right out of the case. Strong wind blew my phantom into a tree and caused a hard crash. I believe having the guards on prevented serious damage, and I thank thunderbolts for the part theh played. Absoloutely a great product"

Posted by Michael Whitman on 24th Sep 2014

"I love this product, I love how easy it is to pop on and pop off then having to install the guards on which takes 5 minutes and when your out in the field its just tiring. I bought the 2 red and 2 black just to give some color to my DJI Phantom 2. Thanks again and I totally recommend this product to others."

I could go on...

My opinion, you get what you pay for. There is a BIG difference between price and cost. Price is what you pay the first time you buy it, cost is how many times you have to replace it because it's an inferior product. People often ask me why I choose to pay slightly more for things I buy when there are "cheaper" options, my response is always because I only want to buy them once.

I don't care about flashy product names (Apple copycats) or even brand names, what I, the consumer care about is a quality product.

And I hate prop guards! hahaha

Just got my prop guard adapters, and they are perfect! Has anyone tried using a zip tie to attach the prop guard to the Fusion Imaging adapter? A small zip tie is lighter than two screws and two nuts, and doesn't risk loosening up. Physically, it fits, and the adapter seems to fit just as snug.

Walexx, thank you so much for making these! Can you see any downside to using the zip tie? Is there enough plastic underneath that I could cut a small channel between the two screw holes to allow the zip tie to be recessed?

Don

Attachments

• PropAdapter.JPG
    PropAdapter.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 460
I think an additional plus in using the snap-on adapters is the fact that they position the guards slightly lower in relation to the spinning props. There is much talk about a vortex effect that occurs when the Phantom descends quickly and gets caught in it's own prop wash -- which reportedly is more likely to happen if one is using prop guards. But my theory is the prop guards may have been the cause of many fast descent crashes as a result of their concave underside catching the upward rushing air. My screw-mounted prop guards sit only about 1/4-inch below the props where the outer struts connect to it. I think air pressure during a quick descent can easily flex the prop guards upward enough to impact the spinning props and cause the Phantom to lose flight stability. So the snap-ons should increase that vertical spacing between guard and prop, maybe just enough to make a difference.

"I have to admit that I've never experienced the vortex effect myself (thank god), but the fact that because our prop guard connectors do sit a bit lower, it does help stop that from happening."

Can you explain how that is so?

The vortexes form outward, up, inward, and then back down so how does something below the rotor plane help reduce this?

I mean that's a great feature (and a bold claim) if true but how did you determine that?

Just curious, wanting to learn.

They seem to be back order. I ordered mine on the 9th, and listed as "Awaiting Fulfillment" as of the 20th.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4