Click and Go iPad Maps Add-On for Phantom?

Reaction score
If this is true, this would be a great addition to the DJI Phantom. Launch your iPad, click waypoints on a Google-Maps like interface, and off your Phantom goes! According the DJI rep, it would be an add-on package for the Phantom and available in "a few months."

Zoom to about 3:40.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQoTyEfWuAk[/youtube]

One would hope that perhaps this means an iPad/iPhone NAZA app might be int he future. (or a Mac app).
.. more excited about the gimbal, provided they can make it somewhat affordable.

pwright said:
Unless there is an Android version it's of no use to me.
I second that. I'm no fan of Apples products or software. Android compatible, or I won't buy the add-on. :p

Businesses are in business to make money, so they'll start with what the majority of users are using. I'm sure Android will come soon enough. Even though I use an iPad I'd probably buy an Android tablet just to play with this if they only made it for Android.

Gizmo3000 said:
One would hope that perhaps this means an iPad/iPhone NAZA app might be int he future. (or a Mac app).
.. more excited about the gimbal, provided they can make it somewhat affordable.

Brushless Direct Drive GoPro Gimbals, Click and Go Autopilots, and perhaps I'll finally get to delete Windows off my mac...some great stuff coming from DJI.

Adam said:
Gizmo3000 said:

Brushless Direct Drive GoPro Gimbals, Click and Go Autopilots, and perhaps I'll finally get to delete Windows off my mac...some great stuff coming from DJI.
Click and go autopilot sounds amazing. I wonder if a flight plan could be made up with other instructions like, go to this spot, face East for 5 seconds then pan to the North for 5 seconds. Then have it move to another waypoint with some other instructions. :?

Well I have an Android phone, yes, it would be great for that. I also have an Ipad and if they make an upgrade which
will allow me to add waypoints on the ipad in google maps this would be absolutely GREAT!... The ability to set
locations and fly the Phantom to those points would be just plain neat !

ricklohre said:
I got confirmation yesterday morning from DJI that an iOS tool is in the works and due out within a few weeks.
We will have software for ios in a few more weeks. I don't have the release date at the moment.
I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

a few weeks?
How will it connect to the Phantom tho???

I just e-mailed them this morning and asked if it would be USB. Unfortunately not :(

RICK:
Can you tell me whether it will require buying extra interface equipment?

DJI:
Not sure about the bluetooth LED module at the moment. But the APP will be free.
Best regards,
DJI Innovations

RICK:
So it won't be USB?
Cheers,
Rick

DJI:
That's right.
Best regards,
DJI Innovations

From the videos, it's pretty clear that this is a Bluetooth based system. Why would you need USB? I'm sure the module will cost something. And they haven't announced a Phantom version yet, this is Wookong only at the moment. Lets hope for a Phantom version...

USB because I don't want to own another device...or buy one.
I'm sure it'll be + $100 for it.

DJI did confirm via e-mail that they are releasing one for the Phantom.

I'm looking to simplify. While I'm glad there's an iOS option in the future...why still not MAC version?

ricklohre said:

I'm looking to simplify. While I'm glad there's an iOS option in the future...why still not MAC version?

Oh, gotcha. I thought you already had an iOS device that would be compatible with Bluetooth.

What did you confirm they are releasing for the Phantom? I emailed DJI yesterday and they said that what I saw in the video about the Phantom (click and go) was for Wookong-M only.

Either way, I hope to see some good news and new product announcements at the NAB show in Las Vegas in a few weeks.

Adam

Adam said:
ricklohre said:

Oh, gotcha. I thought you already had an iOS device that would be compatible with Bluetooth.

What did you confirm they are releasing for the Phantom? I emailed DJI yesterday and they said that what I saw in the video about the Phantom (click and go) was for Wookong-M only.

Either way, I hope to see some good news and new product announcements at the NAB show in Las Vegas in a few weeks.

Adam
I do have an iOS with bluetooth. I just don't want to buy the dongle that will be required to use with the Phantom.
They confirmed for me that the Phantom will have an iOS interface. Yes the video is for the WK version...but are working to release a Phantom version of NAZA config tool.

Great, would love to see this announced at NAB in Las Vegas in a few weeks but I'm not holding my breath.

Wow I would love for that to be an option, very cool indeed.

I wonder how you would have to install it. I didn't get to watch the video.

I wonder if we would get the same answer if we asked them now? I had a couple guys paint my house... for a month they said they would finish in two weeks. LOL. Cheap labor. Of course, maybe this is a similar situation.

Adam said:
Businesses are in business to make money, so they'll start with what the majority of users are using. I'm sure Android will come soon enough. Even though I use an iPad I'd probably buy an Android tablet just to play with this if they only made it for Android.

I agree completely, and this is the best reason to target Android: Android owns the mobile phone market and has the highest sales growth in the tablet market.

I develop sw for both. Sure, iOS has the better dev language and kit, but Android has a much better underlying OS and is the obvious money-maker, long-term. Without a (very) big improvement in iOS, soon, Apple will get pushed out of the mobile market just like Apple pushed RiMM out of the market, and for the very same reason. That's why Apple teamed with Microsoft against Samsung; desperation.

Economics aside, I'm not expecting this to be available for the Phantom anytime soon. DJI is unlikely to add this to the Naza feature list when waypoint traversal is one of their flagship's (Wookong) biggest selling points.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik