clearing the log data

Reaction score
hi

i am planning on selling my p3 advanced so i can buy a mavic. my question is, can i do a factory reset or totally erase all the log from the drone's internal harddrive?

kind regards

Yes.

Delete flight logs by connecting the drone to PC and entering "flight logs" mode. If you're panaroid, you can use a tool which zeroizes sectors before deleting a file (aka wipes data) - for sd-card it does not wipe 100% as the SD-card sometimes decides to relocate sectors by itself; but the files will be damaged enough to be unrecoverable.

Use factory defaults option in mobile device.

i am planning on selling my p3 advanced so i can buy a mavic. my question is, can i do a factory reset or totally erase all the log from the drone's internal harddrive?
Delete flight logs by connecting the drone to PC and entering "flight logs" mode.
You cannot delete the internal recorded data.
But there's no need to.
The internal data recorder only stores the last 4 flights and they are constantly being recorded over by newer flights.
They contain no personal data and if investigated only show where you flew for the last few times, how you pushed the joysticks etc.

You cannot delete the internal recorded data.
But there's no need to.
The internal data recorder only stores the last 4 flights and they are constantly being recorded over by newer flights.
They contain no personal data and if investigated only show where you flew for the last few times, how you pushed the joysticks etc.

thanks for the reply guys..

meta4 if it only shows the last 4 flights, just curious, will it show videos of it too? is there anyway for the new person to retrieve it?

thank you once again.

meta4 if it only shows the last 4 flights, just curious, will it show videos of it too? is there anyway for the new person to retrieve it?
The internal data recorded does not store any images or video.
Those are only stored on the SD card in your camera or as low-res preview copies in the app.
Yes .. if someone really wanted to look at the data from the internal recorder, they could (but the data is encoded and they'd have to be pretty smart to make anything of it.
Even then, they wouldn't learn much of any value.

if someone really wanted to look at the data from the internal recorder, they could (but the data is encoded and they'd have to be pretty smart to make anything of it.

I think this needs demystifying:

1. Looking at the data is as easy as connecting the drone to PC via micro-usb cable. Then you can either look at the current log real-time or enter flight log mode and access flight recorder sd-card directly.

2. The data is encoded - actually every digital data is encoded, otherwise we have only random ones and zeroes - but not everyone here is an engineer so let's leave that. The logs are additionally encrypted, but with a very simple algorithm. It can be easily decoded by DatCon or Wireshark Dissector available at GitHub. These tools also provide ways of reading and analyzing the data - Wireshark Dissector shows them directly as they are in DAT file, DatCon allows exporting them into easier form.

Even then, they wouldn't learn much of any value.

That is a very bold statement. I'm pretty sure DJI wouldn't include useless functionality. It provides insight into the drone inner workings, and is crucial for many people developing tweaks/hacks and repairing the drones.

The logs may be useless, but only for people with no technical background.

That is a very bold statement. I'm pretty sure DJI wouldn't include useless functionality. It provides insight into the drone inner workings, and is crucial for many people developing tweaks/hacks and repairing the drones.

The logs are useless for anyone wanting to discover personal information.
We see what's in them every week here and it's things like joystick position, speed, altitude, pitch, roll, yaw, battery cell voltages, GPS position, number of satellites for every 1/10th of a second, blah, blah, etc, etc.
Things that are very useful investigating a crash but giving nothing of any relevance privacy wise except the locations of a couple of flights.

The logs are useless for anyone wanting to discover personal information.

Right, I agree. I didn't noticed we are restricting the discussion to personal info.

Most people turn on their drones at home, sooner or later - ie. for FW update. So it is still possible to identify where the previous owner lives.
I once had such situation - bought a crashed drone, and the logs suggested it flew on back yard of a house in Germany, where it crashed on its maiden flight.

Reactions: Djminkee
I think this needs demystifying:

1. Looking at the data is as easy as connecting the drone to PC via micro-usb cable. Then you can either look at the current log real-time or enter flight log mode and access flight recorder sd-card directly.

2. The data is encoded - actually every digital data is encoded, otherwise we have only random ones and zeroes - but not everyone here is an engineer so let's leave that. The logs are additionally encrypted, but with a very simple algorithm. It can be easily decoded by DatCon or Wireshark Dissector available at GitHub. These tools also provide ways of reading and analyzing the data - Wireshark Dissector shows them directly as they are in DAT file, DatCon allows exporting them into easier form.

if I lost my drone in another country and I want to get the replacement, i.e. wipe ALL flight data/GPS records, how would I do that? is that data still in the drone controller? I deleted everything from phone, and the app on the phone....thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic