Class D NFZ???

DPD

Reaction score
Hello all. I was flying in Sun City West AZ and I got a message saying I was flying in a classic D NFZ, and to use caution. This was the first time I had ever gotten a message in the GO APP about NFZ. I was able to fly with no problems, kept it under 400'. My question is what are the restrictions in a class D NFZ??

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

As explained at Wikipedia:

"Class D airspace is typically established around any airport with a functioning control tower, but that does not see significant IFR approaches which would make Class B or C more appropriate (usually because there is no scheduled commercial passenger service). Class D airspace generally cylindrical in form and normally extends from the surface to 2,500 feet (760 m) above the ground. The outer radius of the airspace is variable, but is generally 4 nautical miles. Airspace within the given radius, but in surrounding class C or class B airspace, is excluded. Class D airspace reverts to class E or G during hours when the tower is closed, or under other special conditions.[7]

Two-way communication with ATC must be established before entering class D airspace, but no transponder is required. VFR cloud clearance and visibility requirements are the same as class C."

See more details here.

As explained at Wikipedia:

"Class D airspace is typically established around any airport with a functioning control tower, but that does not see significant IFR approaches which would make Class B or C more appropriate (usually because there is no scheduled commercial passenger service). Class D airspace generally cylindrical in form and normally extends from the surface to 2,500 feet (760 m) above the ground. The outer radius of the airspace is variable, but is generally 4 nautical miles. Airspace within the given radius, but in surrounding class C or class B airspace, is excluded. Class D airspace reverts to class E or G during hours when the tower is closed, or under other special conditions.[7]

Two-way communication with ATC must be established before entering class D airspace, but no transponder is required. VFR cloud clearance and visibility requirements are the same as class C."

See more details here.

Thanks for the quick reply msinger. There is an Air Force base up the road, I think it's Wittman and another Luke Air Force base witch is SW not that far away either. But only Luke is is shaded in an orange circle then as you get closer to the middle of the circle it's more red. Do u know what class the Orange and red are?? Thank u for your help...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm not sure. Try viewing that location on this map.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20