Class D Airspace clearance?

Reaction score
There is a air force base near by that only flies helicopters. It's proximity to the water where i want to do some video and is within Class D air space (at least according to AirMap). If I call ahead for clearance to fly, is that sufficient or because it's Class D air space, it's off limits?

I am in Canada, thanks in advance.

(@Mods, feel free to move thread if there is a more appropriate spot)

There is a air force base near by that only flies helicopters. It's proximity to the water where i want to do some video and is within Class D air space (at least according to AirMap). If I call ahead for clearance to fly, is that sufficient or because it's Class D air space, it's off limits?

I'm sorry, I cannot help. I know nothing about Canadian airspace regulations.

In the US the correct procedure for most Class D space would be to provide notification, not ask for clearance. Canada is probably different but more details would need to be known to address your question, such as whether you are flying recreationally or commercially. In any event your best answer would come from an official source and a Google search reveals many sites that detail Canadian regulations. I would check for an answer there first, and then if any specific question remains unanswered someone here might be able to address it.

Last edited:
Reactions: debauch

*Moved to Rules & Regulations*

Reactions: debauch

Like others said, I know nothing about regulations in Canada. But in the US, the process is different depending on whether you are flying commercially or recreationally.

Thanks for your input ... the rules here were changed by the transport minister and the documentation is terribly inconsistent. In fact, at the end of all the tight regulations, it then says "UAV's exempt from these regulations", lol. Our gov't sites are not versed well.

I'll check again, was hoping some fellow Canadians might know.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic