Class C edge

Reaction score
If I'm flying very near what shows on a sectional as Class C, what happens to my P4P if I accidentally slip into Class C? Or will my P4P simply NOT go into the Class C?

I have a client who wants some aerial footage of property I'm certain is in Class C but my sectional map doesn't get in close enough to give me the definite boundary so I could know how close I could actually get. And I don't want to book the shoot if there is a chance I could accidentally slip in NOR do I want to get to location and discover I can't even take off.

I have a client who wants some aerial footage of property I'm certain is in Class C but my sectional map doesn't get in close enough to give me the definite boundary so I could know how close I could actually get. And I don't want to book the shoot if there is a chance I could accidentally slip in NOR do I want to get to location and discover I can't even take off.

Whether or not you can take off or fly into it is dependent on the DJI NFZ boundaries in the Geo system - it is not strongly correlated with airspace boundaries. You need to check that on the DJI geo website to answer that question.

Whether or not you can fly there legally under Part 107, which I assume that you are doing since you mentioned a client, depends on whether it is surface Class C - if it is then obviously you need an FAA authorization or waiver.

Whether or not you can take off or fly into it is dependent on the DJI NFZ boundaries in the Geo system - it is not strongly correlated with airspace boundaries. You need to check that on the DJI geo website to answer that question.

Whether or not you can fly there legally under Part 107, which I assume that you are doing since you mentioned a client, depends on whether it is surface Class C - if it is then obviously you need an FAA authorization or waiver.

There is a closer SFC boundary but the shelf I'd be working under is 4600MSL.

If I'm flying very near what shows on a sectional as Class C, what happens to my P4P if I accidentally slip into Class C? Or will my P4P simply NOT go into the Class C?

My P4 and P3 will not start In restricted airspace, at my fixed wing flying club, we have permission to fly from Gatwick Airport nearby.
However, my P4 and P3 will not permit me to start the motors, if I move 500 ft across our field it will allow flight, but if I fly back across the field it suddenly stops and hovers, geo fencing is very accurate, I can fly along the invisible geo fence line, incredible.

As for the self i mentioned, I miss spoke. The shelf runs right up to the border where Class C starts at surface. So, it sounds like my P4P would stop and hover if it reached the Class C boundary? That's what I hoped for.

The DJI Geo map and the Sectional map don't match in that there seems to be a lot of space within the Class C to SFC that shows only as enhanced warning on the DJI map. I was under the impression that a Part 107 pilot must not fly in Class C air space without prior permission. Yet the DJI Geo map shows I could fly about 5 more miles within the Class C before running into the restricted space. Without finding out a lot more I don't believe I'd want to attempt it strictly on the Geo map.

The DJI Geo map and the Sectional map don't match in that there seems to be a lot of space within the Class C to SFC that shows only as enhanced warning on the DJI map. I was under the impression that a Part 107 pilot must not fly in Class C air space without prior permission. Yet the DJI Geo map shows I could fly about 5 more miles within the Class C before running into the restricted space. Without finding out a lot more I don't believe I'd want to attempt it strictly on the Geo map.

That's correct - the geo system is not intended as an engineered control to stop Part 107 pilots from flying where they should not. Under Part 107 you are expected to be able to figure out this stuff yourself - that was the point of the training and the test.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's correct - the geo system is not intended as an engineered control to stop Part 107 pilots from flying where they should not. Under Part 107 you are expected to be able to figure out this stuff yourself - that was the point of the training and the test.

Nailed it!!

The GEO is more for Part 101/Hobby flights. As PArt 107 operators we need to know our stuff and fly accordingly.

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20