Circular Polarizer Filter

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but my new Polar Pro Circular Polarizer Filter does not rotate. All Circular Polarizers I have used on my film cameras rotate so you can set the polarization (How strong the affect looks). What am I missing?

Thanks.

Reactions: marciano
Does anyone know if this is the same with the Snake River CP filters?

I have the SRP CP-8, I have not used it yet in flight but I tested in my kitchen.

My thoughts are to get some "white out" and put a mark on the outside where the effect is the lightest.

I know this doesn't help with the Polar Pro as it screws on, but with the SRP you can adjust it buy how you slip it on the lens.

Reactions: acherman
I also have my new polar pro filters and I don't realize why the polarizer cannot be rotated after it has been tighted to the camera.
The main difference between it and ND filters is that it filters the light waves letting pass only those that are in a plane. Rotating the filter, that plane also rotates and the reflexions (glass, iron, water, leaves) are controlled to your taste. Also the sky blue intensity can be adjusted in some parts of of the sky. I cannot imagine letting the fillter loose just to get the right angle.

I am still wondering how they expect you to use a polarizer when the Circular Polarizer needs to be adjusted after every angle change. That's how they're designed to work. A slight change in angle and everything changes, and you have to adjust the rotation again. What works for one shot may not work for another. I'm going to use the ND-4 until someone comes up with a logical answer to this ... LOL

Reactions: andy_k
I am still wondering how they expect you to use a polarizer when the Circular Polarizer needs to be adjusted after every angle change. That's how they're designed to work. A slight change in angle and everything changes, and you have to adjust the rotation again. What works for one shot may not work for another. I'm going to use the ND-4 until someone comes up with a logical answer to this ... LOL
I won't buy one of the adjustable filters for just that reason. It's fine for my DSLR, but I'm not sure how to adjust it when my Phantom is 30 meters in the air......

Reactions: andy_k
Anyone try filters from this place they seem innovative!Products

Products
I've tried them. It's a good option if flying a P3 that requires push-on filters (like the P3S). I like glass filters better for the P3P/P3A since it's easier to handle and clean them. Also, they fit more securely since they screw onto the camera.

I've tried them. It's a good option if flying a P3 that requires push-on filters (like the P3S). I like glass filters better for the P3P/P3A since it's easier to handle and clean them. Also, they fit more securely since they screw onto the camera.
I’m get a aftermarket UV (screw on filter) I think removable ones would work better for me because I’m using a camera clamp that slides onto the lens. The OEM one was just to clumsy to handle, I hope to find slide on filters like the polar pro filters I have for my mavic but it seems all the good ones I found are screw on, and the CPL filters that screw on don’t rotate? To adjust the angle of the polarizing effect,

A CPL filter on a UAV is a potentially useful tool but is certainly no panacea. As has been pointed out, one typically rotates the filter for the desired effect and that rotation will change when the camera or the subject is moved.

On a drone, you can't reach out and move the filter, but you can move the UAV.

So, you can get good effects. Sometimes. Depends. I leave a CPL on my P3P that I launch off a boat. At best, it's quite helpful. At worst, it's a fixed ND filter. Originally I had high hopes to be able to penetrate reflection off of water. The units I've tried don't really do this, but they do increase contrast slightly which is useful at times.

YMMV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav