Circular Polarized filter with P2V

Reaction score
I've used CP filters with video and still shots more than any other type of filter mostly because it's kinda the only filter you can't really post-process with software. The catch is you're constantly adjusting the filter left or right based on the amount of light and the angle to the sun.

This doesn't seem very practical with the P2V for still shots going up and down, up and down. For video the effect would largely be a function of the P2Vs angle to the Sun, so a changing effect with every bit a yaw. The most practical use I could think up is getting a target, adjusting the filter for a specific direction and taking video while mostly flying in that direction.

Does anyone have any experience using a CP lens with video in a environment constantly moving and changing direction? I'm thinking about getting a cheap 46mm CP filter for the lens kit and just seeing what happens.

Anyone working on a filter servo attached to the 7th channel? :lol: :cool:

T
SlackerATX said:
I've used CP filters with video and still shots more than any other type of filter mostly because it's kinda the only filter you can't really post-process with software. The catch is you're constantly adjusting the filter left or right based on the amount of light and the angle to the sun.

This doesn't seem very practical with the P2V for still shots going up and down, up and down. For video the effect would largely be a function of the P2Vs angle to the Sun, so a changing effect with every bit a yaw. The most practical use I could think up is getting a target, adjusting the filter for a specific direction and taking video while mostly flying in that direction.

Does anyone have any experience using a CP lens with video in a environment constantly moving and changing direction? I'm thinking about getting a cheap 46mm CP filter for the lens kit and just seeing what happens.

Anyone working on a filter servo attached to the 7th channel? :lol: :cool:

The angles will generally effect pretty much any type filter .... especially if there is bright sunlight in one direction and heavily shaded areas opposite it.
But in the case of a circular Polarizer (the only kind I'd use), you should get the filtration you want across a relatively wide shot angle unless you plan to roll the quad.

Here's a very short clip of video I took with a cheap circ pol fitted to show the problem with glare reflecting off the shiny bezel of the Vision (note I have since bought the excellent matte sticker from our own Coloradosky's http://www.signsoflife.net/phantom-graphics.php store and the reflections and halo glare is gone for good). This was done before I had my Rotorpixel gimbal. At the start of the clip I am about 30 degrees to the sun, at the end about 60 to 70 degrees.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcCKkUy7F80[/youtube]

Ignoring the glare off the bezel onto the filter glass (which we now know how to correct for) I think the clouds "pop" quite pleasingly and the sky seems ok. The big difference is the complete lack of reflection and light off the water on the river. It gives it a much calmer, flatter look. I too bought a dirt-cheap circ pol to test it out and once the wind dies down here and I've done all the range tests and other things people have asked for with the Rotorpixel I'm going to do some 360 degree yaws and some pitches up and down with the circ pol fitted and see what happens...

Pull_Up said:
Here's a very short clip of video I took with a cheap circ pol fitted to show the problem with glare reflecting off the shiny bezel of the Vision (note I have since bought the excellent matte sticker from our own Coloradosky's http://www.signsoflife.net/phantom-graphics.php store and the reflections and halo glare is gone for good). This was done before I had my Rotorpixel gimbal. At the start of the clip I am about 30 degrees to the sun, at the end about 60 to 70 degrees.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcCKkUy7F80[/youtube]

Ignoring the glare off the bezel onto the filter glass (which we now know how to correct for) I think the clouds "pop" quite pleasingly and the sky seems ok. The big difference is the complete lack of reflection and light off the water on the river. It gives it a much calmer, flatter look. I too bought a dirt-cheap circ pol to test it out and once the wind dies down here and I've done all the range tests and other things people have asked for with the Rotorpixel I'm going to do some 360 degree yaws and some pitches up and down with the circ pol fitted and see what happens...

Vid looks pretty good. I'll keep an eye out for your next video.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl