Cinemizer on Nexus 7 v2 via slimport - Need extra hw,

Reaction score
Edit in 1,
Made some updates to this original post in the end, and amended it with a new post, little bit on considerations using hdmi out for fpv googles.

Edit in 2,
Changed subject to proper reflect the sad "state of affairs". (for me)
Posted Ziess replay to my inquiry as new post in the end, with the second try text on my question which is a little bit different than the first.

Edit in 3,
Got it to work with some additional hardware, post about that later in thread, update of subject.

---------------------------------------

Bit "depressed",
Well one should never assume anything, but I did and the result right now is both expensive and a bit disappointing :)
I have tried to find some viable information on those goggles (Cinemizer) in conjunction with Nexus 7 with Slimport but did come up empty so I will make this post here so perhaps the next smarter than me guy can avoid my mistake.

First,
Make a post to support to make sure it actually works or otherwise find some good solid info that the hardware combination that you will buy will actually work.

I have made a post to there support (Ziess) and I will see what comes out of it, and if lucky you will have a review if I do get things to work out later.
And yes it's a expensive piece of hardware but it will be on the head and not in the air and hopefully last a while ;) (if it will work)

My question to there support, with a bit of sugar to hopefully make them in a good mode ;)
(will update on the matter when I get info.)

-Tomas

------------------

Hi,
Did buy your Cinemizer googles for RC FPV use like you do some advertising for your self here,
"was not allowed to put html address in the form, so edited it out"

I have a similar product that you do actually have in the picture of that advert the Dji Phantom 2 Vision Plus.

So I have after looked around that the FPV would be perfect achieved with these goggles, unique in weight and with the sun shade option and with IMO the very important individual adjustable dioptre/eye, they will also keep cable hassle to a minimum with the need of just a one single cable to the tablet and small parts in general.

I am an user in this forum and so far I have not seen any one using these so I went out as a “test rabbit” to later write a review of the product used in conjunction with the Dji Phantom.

I am personally using an android Nexus 7 v2 tablet often used of Phantom pilots for it's speed and screen size for my visual contact with the Phantom quadrocopter via the app.
The Dji Vision app that I want viewed in the goggles also have a FPV mode built in.

Doing the base research I did not find much actually nothing of value on using the Cinemizer with the Nexus 7 tablet, but with your own advert of FPV use and with a actual picture of a Dji product in it and reading here,

------------------
Mobility

The Cinemizer OLED is designed for mobile use. The integrated rechargeable battery provides power for up to six hours of viewing enjoyment even when away from the confines of your home. For example, while on a flight, you can watch several movies from your smartphone like Android or Apple on the Cinemizer multimedia video glasses.
------------------
Connection possibilities

The cinemizer 3D glasses can be used for various applications. It can be connected to an iPod/iPhone, smartphone with HDMI or analog A/V interface, Blu-ray player, gaming consoles such as PS3 or XBox, PCs & notebooks, as well as in additional devices. This is all made possible by an HDMI adapter, a video cable (yellow cinch) and the optional iPod/iPhone adapter.
------------------

It felt like yes it would work with HDMI (slimport to get that from the Nexus 7) and yes it says Android, and the output from slimport is 1080p and within the specification of the Cinemizer so it should work. Now in retrospect I should have contacted you before actually buying but I did not because it looked like a clear cut case here.

I also have verified the Nexus 7 HDMI out via slimport against a regular LCD Tv, and that works just fine.

Anyway I now have the Cinemizer and checked that those do work against a PS3, but connecting them to the Nexus 7 tablet with latest Andriod operating system on I just get “no signal” / “not supported”.

The Cinemizer came with firmware v1.1.6.b and I also tried to upgrade to the latest firmware on your site v1.1.8.b and no change, hardware revision told in set-up is version 2.1 of the Cinemizer

I really hope there is a solution to this so I can start using the Cinemizer as I intended.

With hope of a positive answer.

Regards,

=======================

Edit in,
Have not heard anything yet and to rule some simple stuff out I got my self a new 1.4 short cable (had a old laying around testing in middle of the night) with mini to normal hdmi to cut out converter cable.

And I have been reading up on the subject and I believe a probable reason is that Nexus/google tablets use just the slimport instead of the mhl standard.
The matter of the fact is that slimport vs mhl is like the old "good" days fighting of standards, like hd dvd vs blueray, betamax vs vhs and so on.

Mhl is used of so many brands but slimport is hardly used and is a google baby, an interesting article in the link below on that subject,
http://www.tested.com/tech/android/4572 ... -slimport/

So now I started to look for another tablet that have mhl and maybe also are 1920x1080 in native so you do not have to put on screen resolution soft on the tablet to change to 16:9 from 16:10 which all have the need for root. (and yes, device now rooted trying out that venue ;))
Needed to prevent black side bars on scaled Nexus 1920x1200 on display device at 1920x1080.

I really like my Nexus 7, speedy, just 290g heavy and perfect maps due to google but in the case I do not get it working I probably be changing to one that do work.

Re: Cinemizer on Nexus 7 v2 via slimport - Does not work,

Found this very good article on hdmi out if one is in the market for fpv goggles that uses hdmi in,

The sad and complex state of video out on smartphones,
http://agevik.se/post/58599484370/the-s ... martphones

My own thoughts,
Things are probably easier with a mhl using device. (should not really matter but it seams to, and mhl been around longer, "cave eat" is external power)
If the resolution on the device is 16:9 you probably are better of avoiding black bars going from 16:10 filling the whole image and not have the need for some root app.

And,
I am probably heading for a new tablet purchase so I am up for suggestions on a 16:9 (1920x1080) not heavy, preferable 7"-8" fast one, and if somebody have tested out and it works with wifi to Phantom and using internet over 3g-4g simultaneously with Dji app that would probably be the "sweet spot" product :) (and one that works well with the Dji app in general)
(my Nexus 7 will then be "inherited" within the family ;))

-Tomas

Re: Cinemizer on Nexus 7 v2 via slimport - Does not work,

My Question: (no.2 more inf., replay below)
Hi, again,
Have not got a response or anything on e-mail indicating that you actually got this so I submit it one more time, also added a phone number.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
I did buy your Cinemizer goggles for RC FPV use like you do some advertising for your self here,
"was not allowed to put html link in this form, so edited it out"

I have a similar product that you actually do have in the picture of that advert, the Dji Phantom 2 Vision Plus.

So I have after looked around concluded that the FPV would be perfect achieved with your goggles, unique in weight and with the sun shade option and with IMO the very important individual adjustable dioptre/eye, they will also keep cable hassle to a minimum with the need of just a one single cable to the tablet and very small parts in general.

I am an user in this forum and so far I have not seen any one using these so I went out as a test rabbit to later write a review of your product used in conjunction with the Dji Phantom Vision Plus.

I am personally using an android Nexus 7 v2 tablet often used by Phantom pilots for it's speed, weight and screen size for my visual contact with the Phantom quadrocopter via the Dji app.
The Dji Vision app that I want viewed in the goggles also have a FPV support mode built in.

Doing the base research I did not find much actually nothing of value on using the Cinemizer with the Nexus 7 tablet, but with your own advert of FPV use and with a actual picture of a Dji product in it and reading here,

------------------
Mobility

The Cinemizer OLED is designed for mobile use. The integrated rechargeable battery provides power for up to six hours of viewing enjoyment even when away from the confines of your home. For example, while on a flight, you can watch several movies from your smartphone like Android or Apple on the Cinemizer multimedia video glasses.
------------------
Connection possibilities

The cinemizer 3D glasses can be used for various applications. It can be connected to an iPod/iPhone, smartphone with HDMI or analog A/V interface, Blu-ray player, gaming consoles such as PS3 or XBox, PCs & notebooks, as well as in additional devices. This is all made possible by an HDMI adapter, a video cable (yellow cinch) and the optional iPod/iPhone adapter.
------------------

It felt like yes the Cinemizer would work with HDMI (slimport to get that from the Nexus 7) and yes it says Android, and the output from slimport is 1080p and within the specification of the Cinemizer so it should work. Now in retrospect I should have contacted you before actually buying but I did not because it looked like a clear cut case here.

I also have verified the Nexus 7 HDMI out via slimport against a regular LCD Tv, and that works just fine.
Anyway I now have the Cinemizer and checked that those do work against a PS3, but connecting them to the Nexus 7 tablet with latest Andriod operating system on I just get no signal / not supported .

The Cinemizer came with firmware v1.1.6.b and I also tried to upgrade to the latest firmware on your site v1.1.8.b and no change still same the message no signal / not supported , hardware revision told in setup is version 2.1 of the Cinemizer.
I also have bought a short v1.4 mini hdmi to hdmi cable and a second brand of the slimport device, but this is still not working.

I really hope there is a solution to this so I can start using the Cinemizer as I intended.

With hope of a positive answer.

Regards,

Reply from Ziess:
Hi Tomas,

Thank you for using cinemizer-Service.

Sorry to say, we can t help you out in this case, because we have not the possibility to test this configuration.
The problem seem to be an incompatible video format, or incompatible codec.
Cinemizer only can handle 50 HZ, or even better 60 Hz picture rate. Some devices only provide 57, or 59 Hz.

These are the supported resolutions:

640x480p 60Hz
720x576p 50Hz
720x480p 60Hz

1280x720p 50/60Hz
1920x1080i 50/60Hz
1920x1080p 50/60Hz

1920x1080p 24Hz
HDMI 1.4 3D 1080p 24 Hz frame packing
HDMI 1.4 3D 720p 60Hz frame packing

Beste Grüße/kind regards
Werner Rönn

Servicecenter cinemizer
Operated by OneButton GmbH & Co. KG

OneButton GmbH & CO KG
Pützchens Chaussee 60 Halle 1
D-53227 Bonn
Phone: +49 228 42 29 59 00
Fax: +49 228 28 61 57 91
Email: [email protected]

Geschäftsführer Michael Werni, Thomas Müller
HRA 7674, Amtsgericht Bonn, Gerichtsstand Bonn, Germany
Steuer-Nr. 206/5801/0565, USt-ID/VAT-ID DE275761441

Well the output is 1080p/60 Hz from the slimport as far as I have found, but nothing much to do, just hope some more will address this and maybe they make a change in the future to there firmware or the Nexus 7 to solve this.
There is one more "venue" that I can try and solve this with a workaround, but I have not decided yet if I going to put any more money into current solution on a slim chance or simply invest in a new tablet.

Anyway, hopefully this posts maybe will prevent some one from doing my mistake to go for this hardware combination.

-Tomas

Re: Cinemizer on Nexus 7 v2 via slimport - Need of extra hw,

So I did choose to explore the only other venue that I could think of to make this work before buying a new tablet or a phone .

First,
IMO Ziess support is useless and uninterested, first in my original problem and even asking for another specific hardware to use (Andriod) the replay was I do not know and that is it, I wonder why they even have this ask them thing on there homepage at all? At least this is my encounters and experience as of today with them.

---

Any how,
Doing some homemovie stuff since big LD onwards there was a time with considerable problems regarding EDID (extended display identification data) and there have been some device's that not defeating any protection but just clarify the dialogue and let you make sure what the hardware report what it is and what it is capable of.

In this case we have the Zeiss with 1080p/60Hz and the Nexus with 1080p/60Hz it should work but it does not so I bought this product called Dr HDMI that can both extend signal and also report EDID of choice, so trying it with the built in choice of 1080p/60Hz in between it did work.

The small "cave eat" is that the Dr HDMI dongle need external power so I fixed that with one small battery pack for mobiles.

I will attach a picture with the sort of line of cables and hardware so you get a picture of it:

So with Kit Kat 4.4.4.4 and Cinemizer with 1.1.8b and a Dr HDMI this do works for me and IMO the fix should be very simple for Ziess to implement or in Kit Kat because the rejection of the EDID could be in either end.

Also with the 1920x1200 (internal nexus) to 1920x1080 (external on slimport) I am not bothered with the small black bars, can't actually even tell that they are there, so I have dropped the adjust the resolution part.

OBS!
The device cost some and I will not take any responsibility for the functionality of this solution, but as of now it do work fine for me.

I did see searching through the forum when looking before for some new hardware to use before this solution that some one here do run with note 3 with a MHL adapter and Cinemizer, but double check that and as I wrote asking Ziess if a combination do work seams rather fruitless. Apple device users are well of on information, but not regarding Android devices.

-Tomas

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 943

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues