ChromeCast functionality for App

sbarton said:
I know a lot of people want the ability to connect 2 cell phones to the phantom so one can look at video while the other flies. What about adding ChomeCast functionality to the app to mirror the display onto a TV.

You can use a Miracast device like Netgear's Push2TV:

See: http://www.visionflyer.com/wirelessly-s ... rson-view/

There have been rumors that Chromecast will support Miracast in the future, but, for now at least, they are just rumors.

-- Roger

Panamon Creel said:
But don't you need the phone/tablet wifi in order to connect with the chromecast?
Hmm, well maybe not. Looks like new update may not need you to be on the same WiFi. Not sure how this will work though. Could be that the device connects directly to the ChromeCast wifi instead. In which case you still wouldn't be able to connect to the Phantom and the Chromecast at the same time. :(

But if it uses WiFi Direct like the Miracast posted above it might work.

Miracast/Wifi Direct would also occupy the wifi connection of your phone/tablet thus you'd not be able to use that wifi to connect to the Phantom unless your device has dual wifi or if you can connect to the Miracast / WD via Bluetooth. I did trials with my TV that natively supports Miracast & Wifi Direct and was not successful in mirroring the Phone screen while connected to the Phantom.

Panamon Creel said:
Miracast/Wifi Direct would also occupy the wifi connection of your phone/tablet thus you'd not be able to use that wifi to connect to the Phantom unless your device has dual wifi or if you can connect to the Miracast / WD via Bluetooth. I did trials with my TV that natively supports Miracast & Wifi Direct and was not successful in mirroring the Phone screen while connected to the Phantom.

I've actually done it with a Net2TV, a Motorola Droid X, and my Phantom 2 Vistion. It works.

See: http://www.visionflyer.com/wirelessly-s ... rson-view/

-- Roger

Roger, already looked at the report you've had but I fail to see how you connected to both Phantom and the Net2TV. Two wifi connections? 1 Wifi and 1 BT? Please give more details.

http://www.visionflyer.com/wirelessly-s ... rson-view/
"Miracast is built on another protocol called “Wi-Fi Direct” which allows two devices to connect by Wi-Fi outside of a network. Wi-Fi Direct also allows the phone to connect to the Push2TV adapter at the same time as it is connected to a wireless network."

yes I know that Wi-fi Direct can connect Peer to Peer but it still requires and occupies the wifi and you cannot connect to the Phantom extender if your Wi-Fi is in use for Peer to Peer.

Panamon Creel said:
yes I know that Wi-fi Direct can connect Peer to Peer but it still requires and occupies the wifi and you cannot connect to the Phantom extender if your Wi-Fi is in use for Peer to Peer.

Yes, you can. That's one of the things WiFi Direct supports. It allows a device, such as your phone, to act similar to a wireless access point.

-- Roger

It would still occupy the wi-fi even if it is a Software AP, it would only work if the extender also uses wi-fi direct, I don't know if it does. What happens if you switch off BT on your phone?

Panamon Creel said:

I'm not sure if this applies to your question, but I know you can connect multiple devices to the phantoms wifi. For example, I connect my iPad mini for flight and connect my Galaxy to boost the phantom using the app. both stay connected fine and at the same time.

Good info, never tried connecting to the extender with more than one device and if that is possible then yes it should be possible to do peer to peer as well.

Panamon Creel said:
It would still occupy the wi-fi even if it is a Software AP, it would only work if the extender also uses wi-fi direct, I don't know if it does. What happens if you switch off BT on your phone?

It would still work. WiFi Direct allows multiple WiFi connections on the phone. The extender connects using a standard WiFi connection while the phone creates a second, WiFi Direct, connection to the Net2TV or other Miracast device.

http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-center/f ... an-connect

Note, not every phone that supports WiFi Direct will support multiple connections, but I don't think it's an uncommon feature.

-- Roger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues