Chicago City Council approves restrictions

Reaction score
Reactions: Ti22
I think the time to fight these morons is now before it spreads!

$50 registration fee? For what? To not be able to fly it anywhere.

Reactions: Ti22
Interesting stuff.... just sounds like they are making laws that solidify the FAA restrictions.

just sounds like they are making laws that solidify the FAA restrictions.

If I understand it correctly, just casually flying over someone's property at a reasonable altitude isn't restricted by the FAA. These morons have made it almost impossible to fly a quad, registered or not in their city.

If I understand it correctly, just casually flying over someone's property at a reasonable altitude isn't restricted by the FAA. These morons have made it almost impossible to fly a quad, registered or not in their city.

yeah true... they passed something similar where I am in Florida... not concerning myself too much with it.

The question will be whether such laws are narrowly drafted so as to not regulate the UAV within the airspace (which arguably is impliedly preempted by the FAA's exclusive sovereignty over all US airspace). States and cities may however, may actually have the right to regulate the ownership of UAVs by registration etc. They may also have the right to limit the areas of the city where UAVs may be launched.
Keep watching these laws.
AMA is definitely staying on top of State, local and federal regulation proposals.

Can't see this as 1) being legal at all and 2) just duplicating existing laws in an attempt to become a new FAA. Registration to own or to fly? Either way, I doubt they have the authority to make such a registration requirement.

What's their definition of a drone? Is Xyma x5c considered a drone and must be registered (yearly?) for $50.

Disappointing considering I'm just getting into this now.

But how seriously is this expected to be enforced, outside of the already common sense no-fly zones around airports and stadiums? I'd guess CPD has their hands full with things far more serious than a drone buzzing by a church. And over any "property not owned by the operator"- how strictly is this to be interpreted?

I'm sure Chicagoans will sleep much better knowing those awful drone nerds will now have to pay $50 and can't fly anywhere. Hats off to the city council, Lord knows they don't have ANY OTHER PROBLEMS TO DEAL WITH IN CHICAGO.

The 400ft limit is interesting, considering that the FAA (who I guess has sole authority over public airspace) ruled this

"The low cost of unmanned aerial vehicles in the 2000s revived legal questions of what activities were permissible at low altitude.[6] The FAA reestablished that public, or navigable, airspace is the space above 500 feet"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr