Checking Motors Sound

Reaction score
Hi Everyone .... Today I went to fly my P4 and upon taking up, when it was only about 2 inches off the ground, a gust of wind came and drifted my drone to the side, lost a little bit control of the drone, chipped just a little bit from 2 props and managed to turn off the motors just in time. Nothing serious at all and no damage done apart from the props chipping. When I came home I just wanted to check everything is ok so I put on another set of new props, and flew it inside. All seems well and good. Then I just took off the props and just turned the motors on to listen from any vibrations of anything of that sort, but everything seems ok. What is worrying me is just that when I put the left joystick up, just when the motors starts to rev up, I can hear some sort of robotic sound, similar to when you are trying to find radio stations on an analog radio :) and then it fades away and only just the motors can be heard with a clean revved up sound without any noises and vibrations at all ..... It would be awesome if someone confirm if it's totally normal to have that kind of sound.

Thanks for taking time to read my msg ;)

Last edited:

Here is a video with the sound I mentioned in my previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm just guessing but without the props the motors aren't seeing any load (air resistance) and I wonder if that would affect their operation?

I'm just guessing but without the props the motors aren't seeing any load (air resistance) and I wonder if that would affect their operation?

Operating them without props for just a little time it shouldn't be or any concern for the motors, at least that's what I think :)

Hey I just had my props off for the first time and they make the exact same sound. Lol. I have no crashes .....yet!
Are you sure, I hear what your hearing, like tuning a station, Mine do NOT sound like that. I agree with OP that mine have that high pitch, but not that radio tuning type noise, that's wild

Wow, that video made what you said make sense, I totally hear what your saying about the feedback, I don't have that sound at all, I've revved my motors up and I get the high pitch, but don't get that tuning. Other guy says his sound like that, and I really doubt what happened screwed anything up, so just because I don't have it doesn't mean anything is wrong, that is really wild though, I've never heard a motor "tuning" itself like that lol

Wow, that video made what you said make sense, I totally hear what your saying about the feedback, I don't have that sound at all, I've revved my motors up and I get the high pitch, but don't get that tuning. Other guy says his sound like that, and I really doubt what happened screwed anything up, so just because I don't have it doesn't mean anything is wrong, that is really wild though, I've never heard a motor "tuning" itself like that lol

I got really mixed up now :)

Just a little update regarding this matter. I was doing some research and stumbled upon this video on youtube.

It sounds exactly like mine so I guess everything is ok

Make sure you calibrate IMUs and the compass to avoid drifting with the wind and better stability

I did calibrate the IMU's when I first opened up the box ... I always do a compass calibration before each flight too. Since I had this little accident shall I re-calibrate the IMU's again ?

I did calibrate the IMU's when I first opened up the box ... I always do a compass calibration before each flight too. Since I had this little accident shall I re-calibrate the IMU's again ?
Make sure you properly calibrate IMUs, follow the guides on here to do it the right way and avoid drifting.

Compass doesn't need to be calibrated before each flight either.

Reactions: Diwizard
Make sure you properly calibrate IMUs, follow the guides on here to do it the right way and avoid drifting.

Compass doesn't need to be calibrated before each flight either.

Can you guide me to a good post on how to properly do the calibration ?

Lol, didn't mean to confuse you, like I said, I don't have that tuning sound but it sounds like others do, these motor signals are all done via frequency and I think what your hearing is some type of feedback though control signal wires for some reason, as others have noted, seems like it may be normal

Does it do it outside where maybe not so much interference? Just wondering if the area is full of noise, like my man cave, maybe it has something to do with the props being off too, but it would be hard to hear when props are breaking thru the air

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20