Check your DSLRPros Antigravity Motor installations!

Reaction score
My new Phantom 2 crashed after a prop spun off yesterday. I lost one motor, all the props and the H3-3D gimbal doesn’t work any more.

After investigating the unit, and checking the Tiger Motor website, I found that the four motors were installed backwards. The counterclockwise motors are where the clockwise ones are and vice versa. The wiring was done so they rotated in the correct direction making the Phantom flyable, but the threads on the propeller nuts would spin off the nuts - causing the propellers to fly off. Normally, if installed properly, the would be self tightening. In this case they were self loosening.

You can check here http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/news_0906/7.html if you want to check Tiger's installation instructions.

Yeah I myself have discovered personally and have also read several on here that it seems the tiger motors have come from the factory misprinted. Sucks dslrpros doesn't know it though.

andersonlyle said:
My new Phantom 2 crashed after a prop spun off yesterday. I lost one motor, all the props and the H3-3D gimbal doesn’t work any more.

After investigating the unit, and checking the Tiger Motor website, I found that the four motors were installed backwards. The counterclockwise motors are where the clockwise ones are and vice versa. The wiring was done so they rotated in the correct direction making the Phantom flyable, but the threads on the propeller nuts would spin off the nuts - causing the propellers to fly off. Normally, if installed properly, the would be self tightening. In this case they were self loosening.

You can check here http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/news_0906/7.html if you want to check Tiger's installation instructions.

Have you called them yet? I'm curious to know how they will respond to this.

Yes please keep us posted on this.. I just ordered my whole rig from them and will be PISSED if they mess up on the motors. Sounds like its going to be some "user error" BS but I sure hope not.

I had a Skype call with them today. They say the motors are installed properly and suggest loctite or using the stock propellers to make sure the prop caps don't spin off. We'll see, I'll test again when I get new parts.

andersonlyle said:
I had a Skype call with them today. They say the motors are installed properly and suggest loctite or using the stock propellers to make sure the prop caps don't spin off. We'll see, I'll test again when I get new parts.

Can you show us a pic of your Phantom with the props screwed on all the way, so we can see where the black/silver nuts are? That will make it clear whether the motors are in the wrong location or not.

andersonlyle said:

So your replacing the props, motor, and gimbal with your own money? Or is DSLRPros going to cover it?

I had the same thing happen with my DSLPros Cannes edition rig.
Tightened the prop nuts and after 5 minutes of flight threw a prop and crashed from 60 feet or so.
Destroyed the gimbal and the camera.
I have reached out to them with no reply yet.

Also, I received the shipment missing 2 cloverleaf and 1 patch antennae which i thought was odd since they claim to test fly these kits before shipment

Needless to say i have been disappointed with my purchase.

If they put the motors on backwards and the props are spinning off as result, I'd be expecting them to replace everything! You paid over the odds for their "pro" RTF installation. It should be perfect in every respect.

To be fair you should post up some proof of the bad install and then give them a chance to make good on replacing the entire P2.

OI Photography said:
andersonlyle said:

Can you show us a pic of your Phantom with the props screwed on all the way, so we can see where the black/silver nuts are? That will make it clear whether the motors are in the wrong location or not.

Has anyone ever heard of a "Greshem Dynamic?"

A Greshem Dynamic, based on Greshem's Law (which you will find in financial realms and ictates basically that bad practice drives out good practice) occurs in social forums where in the middle of a thread someone gently points out a solution or answer, and then posters continue on to banter away as though no real solution or explanation is available.

Thanks for a simple approach Ol Photography... as always. I was tempted to post what should be what- but I think it best to see if the original poster chimes in.

Hiway said:
Thanks for a simple approach Ol Photography... as always. I was tempted to post what should be what- but I think it best to see if the original poster chimes in.

Someone once said (something to the effect of) "Give a job to a lazy man, and he will find the most efficient way to accomplish it" :D

Nick,
Just curious as to when you made the purchase and actually paid them? I ordered my sundance on April 9th and still haven't seen it.

I have a DLSRPros rig and antigravity motors installed properly. A quick test would be to see if the stock props work. They only screw on one way and have to be in the proper order to fly.

Battery facing toward you:

Black Silver

Silver Black

I received my Cannes kit a few weeks ago and my motors are fine. I did use blue loctite, but also tried the stock props to see if they were a good fit. Maybe you had a new guy assembling yours. Although they did say they test fly every unit before shipping.

jmcu,

What do you think of your kit so far? Any negatives? I am still waiting on my sundance which should be here Tuesday of next week.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj