Check NOTAMS for GPS disruptions before flying.

JWH

Reaction score
I just received a notice via email that there are scheduled GPS disruptions near the coast of the Carolinas in the coming weeks as part of a military operation. I am nowhere near there, but decided that I had better pass the word because it will affect drone pilots in those areas. It is published well in advance, so please do your homework.

I got in the habit years ago of always checking NOTAMs during flight planning, then again right before takeoff in case something changed. I operate the same way with the drone as I do with the plane.

I mainly worry about the "no fly" TFR's. The GPS one caught my attention because of the drone. I wondered how many people may not know about it.

Reactions: RW-1
I got in the habit years ago of always checking NOTAMs during flight planning, then again right before takeoff in case something changed. I operate the same way with the drone as I do with the plane.

I mainly worry about the "no fly" TFR's. The GPS one caught my attention because of the drone. I wondered how many people may not know about it.

Depends on your flying JWH, Instrument pilots will always look for GPS, not as much worried about NFZ's because you'll get routed to avoid those. But in terms of availability of performing a GPS based approach with RAIM, it's a must know.

Reactions: JWH
Depends on your flying JWH, Instrument pilots will always look for GPS, not as much worried about NFZ's because you'll get routed to avoid those. But in terms of availability of performing a GPS based approach with RAIM, it's a must know.

Yes, IFR flight has a totally different list of things you need to know. I had IFR training, but mostly fly VFR. I almost never get flight following unless I am in a busy unfamiliar airspace, such as when we fly into Tampa for a cruise. I wouldn't consider going near there without flight following!

I fly under the ATL Class B all the time and know the area, so I rarely talk to ATC at all around here. I learned to watch for the VIP No fly TFR's after seeing another pilot get in serious trouble for taking off when the president was coming in.

Yes, IFR flight has a totally different list of things you need to know. I had IFR training, but mostly fly VFR. I almost never get flight following unless I am in a busy unfamiliar airspace, such as when we fly into Tampa for a cruise. I wouldn't consider going near there without flight following!

I fly under the ATL Class B all the time and know the area, so I rarely talk to ATC at all around here. I learned to watch for the VIP No fly TFR's after seeing another pilot get in serious trouble for taking off when the president was coming in.

I'll always take flight following VFR if the controller has the time to give it, it's another layer of protection, and free!

I love to hit up students on one of the remaining TRSA's left up here in Wilks Barre - it's optional, but nice to have radar as well ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4