Cheap vs Geniune prop guards

Reaction score
DJI genuine prop guards a little bit expensive that's why I'm asking if getting some eBay ones is gonna be a problem? Thanks and please answer asap :) :)

Phantom 3 Standard.

If i was going to install prop guards, I would get quick release.

Also, I'd get ones that enabled me to remove the top of the phantom without having to remove all four motor mount screws.

So quick release. That's also what i thought. What you mean remove the top of the phantom without having to remove the motor screws?
So getting ebay ones would work right? No chances that props may hit the guards and phantom falls? I red that somewhere that's why i am asking.

The ones I bought for my P2v were aftermarket and they were fine except for one problem.

Let's say for a second I didn't have the prop guards. If I want to remove the top, I take out sixteen screws - four on each wing. No need to touch the motor mount screws.

But if you have a prop guard, most of the designs cover the screw on the tip of the wing. That means you must remove the prop guard or prop guard mount to get to it, and most designs use four motor mount screws to secure the prop guard/mount. But there is one design I saw that uses only two motor mount screws to secure the prop guard/mount. That's the one I'd be inclined to get because then when you take the top off you can leave two of the motor mount screws (and the motors) in place. It's also eight fewer screws you have to remove.

Hope this helps.

The ones I bought for my P2v were aftermarket and they were fine except for one problem.

Let's say for a second I didn't have the prop guards. If I want to remove the top, I take out sixteen screws - four on each wing. No need to touch the motor mount screws.

But if you have a prop guard, most of the designs cover the screw on the tip of the wing. That means you must remove the prop guard or prop guard mount to get to it, and most designs use four motor mount screws to secure the prop guard/mount. But there is one design I saw that uses only two motor mount screws to secure the prop guard/mount. That's the one I'd be inclined to get because then when you take the top off you can leave two of the motor mount screws (and the motors) in place. It's also eight fewer screws you have to remove.

Hope this helps.
Oh now i understand. Thanks dude ;)

Hope this helps.
Is this what you mean by having to remove or not to remove the guard bracket? I thought these were oem gaurds, but they ended up being an aftermarket knock off. They work ok though, when I use em that is.

Attachments

• 20160211_111122.jpg
    20160211_111122.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 438
Prop Guards act like giant wind catchers. I took mine off after about a month of use and couldn't believe how much better it flew without, never put them back on. also i don't trust them, Ive seen examples of them hitting blades and causing issues.

I wouldn't want the non snap off kind, but the removable variety is ok in my opinion. Cant seeing them catching much wind when they're snapped off. Of course, its not a racing drone either.

Prop Guards act like giant wind catchers. I took mine off after about a month of use and couldn't believe how much better it flew without, never put them back on. also i don't trust them, Ive seen examples of them hitting blades and causing issues.
Agreed. Props so cheap as well to replace. No guard will help a fall from the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Agreed. Props so cheap as well to replace. No guard will help a fall from the sky.

I don't put my guards on to protect the props. I only put them on like on the beach where there might be a pedestrian, or in an area where there are numerous onlookers. They are put on to protect people, not the drone. I guess some people look at it differently.

Reactions: CFoxtrot
I don't put my guards on to protect the props. I only put them on like on the beach where there might be a pedestrian, or in an area where there are numerous onlookers. They are put on to protect people, not the drone. I guess some people look at it differently.
That makes sense. I try to stay away from people on all flights. Did see wacky video of drone crashes. Hilarious.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is this what you mean by having to remove or not to remove the guard bracket? I thought these were oem gaurds, but they ended up being an aftermarket knock off. They work ok though, when I use em that is.
Yes - those look like the ones I had. What a PITA when you want to take the top off. But there is another design that only uses two motor screws.

Oh yeah. One other thing.

To the OP:

When you inevitably get tired of them and decide to remove the mounts, make extra double sure you replace the ORIGINAL MOTOR MOUNT SCREWS - do not use the longer prop mount screws. If you forget and use the prop mount screws, you will ruin all your motors. :)

Many people have done this. Not me though. :)

Yes - those look like the ones I had. What a PITA when you want to take the top off. But there is another design that only uses two motor screws.

Oh yeah. One other thing.

To the OP:

When you inevitably get tired of them and decide to remove the mounts, make extra double sure you replace the ORIGINAL MOTOR MOUNT SCREWS - do not use the longer prop mount screws. If you forget and use the prop mount screws, you will ruin all your motors. :)

Many people have done this. Not me though. :)
I know that. I purchased some guards, and i will use them because sometimes i just forget and land the bird instead of hamd catch and in some enviroments the bird tip over and rip props.. That's why i will use them. 11€. If they don't work well i'll remove them. I'm very concered about the new screws. I know it is not the original guards so is there any chance the screws are not the correct lentgh and i destroy my motors(when installing the prop guards quick release mounts)???

I think the guards are at the post office. Getting them tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

Just install them, and make sure the motors turn freely after install.

I installed them, motors turn freely, no any problems. I tested them on a full charged battery. I got 2-3 minutes shorter flight time. Also my battery got as high as 53 degrees Celsius. I know it's too much and it's probably due to the more weight. I am not planning to fly normally with guards on after this. I will only put them on in tough environments where there are a lot of tree or walls. That's all. I'm glad i got the quick release ones.

I installed them, motors turn freely, no any problems. I tested them on a full charged battery. I got 2-3 minutes shorter flight time. Also my battery got as high as 53 degrees Celsius. I know it's too much and it's probably due to the more weight. I am not planning to fly normally with guards on after this. I will only put them on in tough environments where there are a lot of tree or walls. That's all. I'm glad i got the quick release ones.
Yeah, I very, very rarely put mine on. I haven't done any flight time comparrisons, or noticed the battery temp, but I know it probably flies different with em. It's a safety tool. I'm glad I have em, if they're needed. It may not be so much the weight, as it is the air from underneath the props is going through an obstacle, the guard, and not providing as much lift as it does without em.

Reactions: ninosnicolaou

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers