Cheap short term case?

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas for a cheap type of case to buy or make for my P2V as I can't afford one of those nice cases that cost a hundred or more dollars.
I prefer to have something other than the box to transport it in my car when driving to a location for flight.

What have you guys used?

Cheap and longterm for me :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-high-im ... rior-n14gr

case.JPG

full.JPG

foam.JPG

I've been using the cardboard box insert it came with inside a duffle bag until I can find the right case.

Yep same here, I'm using the cardboard insert in a 20" x 15" plastic storage box, works ok for now.
All the best,
W.P.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 800
So pleased I read this thread & thanks to corncrake for posting his link.

The budget case I wanted seems to be on permanent back order whereas this is stock and also still on offer :) - it is also slightly smaller which is a bonus and apparently definitely complies with carry on airline rules.

Just the one drawback which is it looks like you have to spin off your props which initially put me off. My props had never been off but I have just tried and as Pull_Up said on another thread they take seconds to take off/spin on.

Happy bunny now :)

Yep, unless you actually crash and the props dig into the ground you won't ever need to use the little motor tool to spin the props off. Mine are only ever finger tight at most after a flight. I spin the props on whilst I'm waiting for the aircraft to get satellite lock. I'm usually finished before the GPS is, so it doesn't eat into your flying time!

Pull_Up said:
Yep, unless you actually crash and the props dig into the ground you won't ever need to use the little motor tool to spin the props off. Mine are only ever finger tight at most after a flight. I spin the props on whilst I'm waiting for the aircraft to get satellite lock. I'm usually finished before the GPS is, so it doesn't eat into your flying time!
A bit sad I know but I get a kick spinning the props off & on - quite a satisfying feeling ;)

Currently I have only been test flying on a small (playing) field about a 150m walk from my home. Everything fits in a big 'canvas' shopping bag. The FC40 with prop guards diagonally resting on its left skid and the prop guards. The wire connecting the prop guards on the right side runs exactly between the wooden handles when I carry it so no problem there. I wrap the transmitter in a plastic shopping bag for basic protection and the batteries partly in a LiPo bag. I also take my Nexus 7 in a protective cover in the bag. The props I always take off since it's no trouble and they can be less easily damaged that way. Considering the beatings I read about when people crash it which they survive unscathed I don't exactly worry it will get damaged by carrying it around in a normal fashion in such a bag. It's a bag intended for carrying things around in and that's simply what I do. I'm keeping my eyes open for a neater option but I can live with this arrangement for quite some time.

Without prop guards I'd expect there to be lots of plastic crates with lids big enough to fit a Phantom. Just get some foam and cut it to fit the contents. I've considered making a case myself out of wood. It's not a complex construction. I would just take a few hours but could give the satisfaction of having built it yourself plus you can make it exactly the size you want it to be.

Maybe later... ;)

Hooray - am now the proud owner of a Maplin case. As others have mentioned, I reckon this is the smallest size case that could take a Phantom so quite pleased with that aspect. Definitely props off but I have started to get into the habit of doing that anyway. Another win was that the £10 sale finished today but because I had reserved the stock at the Reading store they honoured the sale price - I was also with my mum and you know what mothers are like so the case cost me zero :)

It fits perfectly on the stainless boot rack of my little sports car. This rack has never been used since it was given to me as a present 5 years ago.

All in all very happy with the case - probably crash the P2V tomorrow !

I bought the same case myself, but to be honest I found it to be too tight a fit for comfort (yes props off) with nearly all; the foam removed.
Definitely a good replacement for the cardboard box but I wouldn't feel happy travelling with it in earnest (airline/coach).
Not trying to sound fussy, I have a different one coming so will be able to compare, but it seemed to need too much pressure to close the lid almost squeezing all the play out of the foam.

Tim.

gfredrone said:
I've been using the cardboard box insert it came with inside a duffle bag until I can find the right case.

Just bought HPRC 2700PHA2 for my P2V ... holds everything, spares, phones tablets, props, landing gear etc etc etc , + the P2v WITH PROPS still on ..... looks and feels bombproof so am very happy all my kit now well set and secure for anything. :)

http://www.plaber.com/pdf/HPRC2700PHA_HPRC2700WPHA.pdf - has wheeled and non wheeled versions :cool:

Airfix said:
I bought the same case myself, but to be honest I found it to be too tight a fit for comfort (yes props off) with nearly all; the foam removed.
Definitely a good replacement for the cardboard box but I wouldn't feel happy travelling with it in earnest (airline/coach).
Not trying to sound fussy, I have a different one coming so will be able to compare, but it seemed to need too much pressure to close the lid almost squeezing all the play out of the foam.

Tim.
Yes, I tried mine in the shop and there is only around 5mm of clearance so I am going to find a method of protecting the motor spindles and use a thin layer of foam at the bottom. That said, the case is so rigid that there is no risk of crushing but it would not offer any form of shock protection. I agree, I would not like to use it as check in baggage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4