Charging the Nvidia K1

i bought the charger for it seems a lot faster

I've found that the charger and USB cable can make a _huge_ difference. I bought a few Blackberry chargers that were highly recommended. They were more expensive but they charge much better then cheap chargers and cables. As mentioned, I've also noticed a difference with cables themselves.

With that said, the Shield still charges slowly.

Reactions: alokbhargava
This is an awesome solution. I can charge iPad / Shield / my phone at the same time.. Charges really fast.

iClever BoostCube (40W 4-Port USB Wall Charger) Multi-Port USB Charger with SmartID & Foldable Plug for iPhone Se 6S 6 Plus, iPad Pro / Air / Mini, Samsung Galaxy S7 S6 Edge, Note 5 4, HTC 10 and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZNTUQA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_oUvgxbXC1CKQV

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

As pointed out it is all about the cable and charger. Worst scenario is using a computer USB port where you will see 5w max (.9A * 5.5v). A cable designed for charging and a good charger you may get 25w, usually about half that with most though.

Ok, so absolute best scenario is 12.2w available from that charger. K1 battery is 19.75wh so full charge will take 97 mins. You cant get near that when you introduce losses and smart charger operation. Two hours wouod be more realistic.

Ok, so absolute best scenario is 12.2w available from that charger. K1 battery is 19.75wh so full charge will take 97 mins. You cant get near that when you introduce losses and smart charger operation. Two hours wouod be more realistic.

The Nvidia charger is about $30 for about 11 watts. The Anker is about $12 for about 12 watts. Which would you prefer?

Jim

The Nvidia charger is about $30 for about 11 watts. The Anker is about $12 for about 12 watts. Which would you prefer?

Jim
Neither. I'm not in the market for a charger.

My point wasn't to suggest the Anker isn't good or inferior to others, I was using it as a benchmark to indicate what is a reasonable expectation of charging time. Your post was very useful in this regard and now even more so that we understand what the specs of the OEM unit are.

Samsung seems to have got around the charge time limitation in newer higher capacity battery equipped devices with the introduction of higher voltage chargers (9v). No doubt others will follow.

Samsung seems to have got around the charge time limitation in newer higher capacity battery equipped devices with the introduction of higher voltage chargers (9v). No doubt others will follow.

Yeah, I have always thought USB charging was a bad alternative. Good to hear about Samsung's 9 volt charger. But, older devices most likely won't benefit since they are designed for the lower voltage USB chargers.

Regards, Jim

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4