Charging off a generator while camping?

Reaction score
Did a newbie search and didn't come up with much. I'll be flying my P2 quite often when I'm camping. I have a Honda EU2000i generator. Is it safe to charge the main P2 battery straight from the generator? Or is it better to do it through a surge protector connected to the generator? I plan on charging everything else using the inverter in my truck. Got a camping trip at Laguna Seca in three weeks for the motorcycle races...perhaps an epic opportunity for aerial racing footage...and then another camping trip in the Sierras for Labor Day on a lake.

Any advice on charging batteries on a generator would be greatly appreciated! :)

edit: I have used the generator to charge the deep cycle marine battery for the trolling motor on my boat and have observed the it doesn't appear to charge it fully. Perhaps Honda generators have a built-in deal to not "overcharge" but I'm getting about 85% at best?

I don't see that the AC from your generator will be much different by the time it goes through the charger?
Unless you were planning to use some DC output direct.
If concerned consider a small inverter they are cheap enough, or maybe get a 12V car charger.
In any case it might be annoying running the generator while waiting for the charge cycle to finish (watched pot etc.)

If it were me I would purchase a line conditioner or a small battery backup with a line conditioner. Put that between the generator and the battery you are charging. The last thing you want is a surge or worse yet a drop in voltage from the generator.

The generator should work, however forget the surge protector. A good pure sign wave inverter connected to your truck would be best as most inexpensive inverters are step approximated sign waves that have a lot of harmonic distortion. You could try it just keep a close eye on the dji charger to make sure it does not get too hot

Note on the generator, the honda is a better generator but I have not tested any of their newer ones. A UPS/Battery backup/line condition, the cheap ones will not even turn on when connected to a generator. Again the more expensive (UPS/backup) ones can have their input sensitivity turned down so it works with a generator.

In the long run a good DC to AC inverter connected to your truck would be best

Disclaimer: I work for a UPS/Battery backup/Surge protector company

I appreciate the thoughts and advice. Now that I think about it, I might not always take my generator with me, or want to hear it run just to charge small batteries. Not to mention the way gas prices may go in the near future.

So, I'm considering a new inverter for my truck. My inverter is very old...like 15 years or so...can't remember. It's only 200w, no USB ports etc. Any recommendations on inverter brands/models I should be looking at?

Thanks again!

Look for something that puts out a sign wave and has good fans to keep it cool. Do not get one that puts out a square wave, you're looking for something as close to 0% harmonic distortion

I have a $20AUD inverter in my car. Its a 150w
Car%20inverter.jpg

What I do is I get a battery jumper pack with a built in cigarette lighter and use the inverter above with the standard DJI charger.
makes sense?

Thanks again for the help. Just "amazon'd" Pure sine wave inverters. Wow they are pricey! :shock:

Using the search feature right now to do some research on pure VS. modified, etc.

Reactions: hmvan
Shepherd said:
Much ado about nothing.

I've charged my P1 and P2 batteries for months using a 10+ year old 75wAPC inverter.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/tec ... oteac75-ec

We don't make those anymore, so you would have to find someone still selling them. (Loved those things and have them in all my cars) Also my recommendations are what you should do, hell we use to plug surge protectors into our backups on our desks but would never recommend that because you can blow up the backups (lower end UPS that puts out a square wave)

These batteries are $$$ I don't want to see anyone damaging them (it's slim but there is still a chance).

I always charge my Phantom with a surge protector, as such, I use surge protectors for all my appliances. History is a good teacher if you listen to it. I already lost a PC and a TV because of the electrical surge. Since then, slowly I bought surge protectors for all the rooms, especially in my kids' room. Y'all should invest in protection for not losing your goods after. When I go out, I take the Belkin Travel RockStar surge protector. I charge the Phantom with it by the way. It's a good surge protector.
Which are the characteristics of a good surge protector? To what should I pay attention if I want to buy one? I heard that not all of them are good

Are you going to be camped in the same spot for days or driving around during the day? I'd use a car charger but watch your car battery level if no engine is running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.