Charging DJI Phantom batteries in the field

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone advise the best way to charge Phantom batteries whilst out in the field away from home?
Thanks
Andrew

You can charge quite a few 2200mah batteries off a typical car battery. a charger that accepts 12v DC in can be hooked up to your car battery via alligator clips or through the cigarette lighter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I purchased a 400w inverter that runs either from the car battery or from a standalone motorcycle battery, and plug my charger into it. The inverter has 120 volt output as well as USB outputs. Bought it at BestBuy.

Thank you all for your help, I am looking into the 400W inverter. Thanks again
Andrew

Instead of going the circular dc-AC-dc route, consider just getting a true balance charger, they can cost less than the inverter and come with everything you need to connect to a car battery. Plus, they'll show you true data on your balance cycle so you can track your battery health.

ElGuano said:
Instead of going the circular dc-AC-dc route, consider just getting a true balance charger, they can cost less than the inverter and come with everything you need to connect to a car battery. Plus, they'll show you true data on your balance cycle so you can track your battery health.

^what he said . . .

I've explained this plenty of times before, but the threads get buried (try searching, but I don't expect you to have much luck). In short, I myself have a Imax b6 charger that runs off 12v but I also have a 240v to 12v adaptor in the box so I can charge from AC or DC. You should be able to get 2 or 3 batteries charged and still be able to start a car . . .

Car batteries average ~40Ah, or 40,000mah, charging 3 2200mah batteries would suck out 5500~7000mah from the battery (depending on the efficiency of the charger), not even 15% from a fully charged car battery. Still a wise move to start the car and let it recoup some charge :)

I have multiple LIPO chargers from my RC plane and jet world. What is the easiest way to adapt the to P2V/P2 intelligent battery connector(s)? Is there a converter or harness out there I am missing in these charger threads?

Thanks!

TXhillcountryphantom said:
I have multiple LIPO chargers from my RC plane and jet world. What is the easiest way to adapt the to P2V/P2 intelligent battery connector(s)? Is there a converter or harness out there I am missing in these charger threads?

Thanks!
there are some prelim reports that the p2 battery will charge with a balance charger plugged to the battery's spade connectors. That sounds a bit weird to me personally, and i'd wait a bit to be long-term confirmation that it's a good idea. But this is a good case where an inverter may be the better route.

i use 2 12 volt solar batteries from harbor freight placed in a plastic milk container that i lug around in my van-also have a 4 batteries at once charger.works great!

I have a small converter that I pack around in the car for many things. I charge batteries all the time from the car. I DO run the engine most of the time. It is easy to do - especially if moving around to and fro on the site.

There's no end of mains/12v chargers to be had , but txhillcountryman may have hit the nail on the head with the requirement to connect to the terminals on the p2's intelligent battery. Also, the issue remains of a balance connector . Does the DJI supplied charger do the balance thing?

Fatbloke-Dim said:
There's no end of mains/12v chargers to be had , but txhillcountryman may have hit the nail on the head with the requirement to connect to the terminals on the p2's intelligent battery. Also, the issue remains of a balance connector . Does the DJI supplied charger do the balance thing?

Nope, the charging AND balancing circuitry is integrated into each and every P2 battery. The black "charger" brick is just a PSU.

Having a truck I tow my 5th wheel with, I have a 7 way plug in the truck bed. With that said, I have converted that plug to a 4 way flat plug and then attach a 2 way plug cable with one end and eyelets on the other end. The eyelet side attaches to and powers my 5000 watt power inverter which has a USB outlet built into it. I am able to charger my phantom batteries, my rechargeable batteries for my controller and charge my wifi extender all at the same time if need be. I drop the tail gate which turn into my work table. Put up my 10' x 10' canopy to get out of the sun and a couple of lawn chairs and I'm all set.

Try running a really long extension cord.........j/k

Get a 12v battery charger and you can charge all the batteries you want, I've never had a problem draining my battery down to the point where I couldn't start my SUV.

BruceTS said:
Try running a really long extension cord.........j/k

Get a 12v battery charger and you can charge all the batteries you want, I've never had a problem draining my battery down to the point where I couldn't start my SUV.

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that standard car batteries aren't designed to be discharged much beyond what's necessary to start a car. If you keep discharging your car's battery to the point it won't start your car it (the battery) will live a shortened life.

If you want to use a 12V battery you really should get a marine *deep cycle* battery. Those batteries are designed to be discharged much more deeply (hence, "deep cycle") than a standard car battery -- which are designed to provide short, high-amp bursts and then get recharged quickly from the alternator. Think "shallow cycle." Anyway, I got my deep cycle battery at WalMart for about $75.

The downer is that you have to lug the marine battery with you, and get a charger for it, but it sure beats getting stuck with a dead battery -- which died in half the time it should have (say, 2 years instead of 4 years for example) -- in the middle of nowhere. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj