Charger overcharging battery to 17.1v

CDR

Reaction score
Fairly new user here.. own 1 original and 3 third-party batteries, one of which recently ballooned in size which made me conscientious on the remainders.

This morning I charged the original battery from around 45% to 100% using the stock 57w charger, but upon inspection in the app seen that the battery voltage is 17.1v and the outside of the battery markings is 15.2v

Is this normal? I've read that a voltage of higher than 4.2v is critical and i've got all 4 cells reading 4.24, 4.27, 4.28, 4.30v

Why is my original charger messing up my original battery? Any ideas?

Thanks

That is about normal. 4.2V per cell. It's usually around 3.7V.
I would ditch the aftermarket batteries. The little bit of savings per battery is not worth loosing a $1000.00 Phantom.
Also, the charger that came with the phantom is not really a charger. It's just a power supply that provides 17.2V. The "Smart battery" itself regulates the charging cycle.

These batteries employ High voltage LiPO cells (ie 4.35v/cell at full capacity terminal voltage). 17.1v is within design rating.

That's a normal fully charged lipo - not a problem with those levels, they mark the lipos with the nominal voltages - as for the 3rd party lipos they are not upto the same spec as originals and can't cope. - False economy the 3rd party lipos.

There is almost a "small computer" sat on the top of each genuine DJI lipo to manage the cell balance, charge and discharge level automatically - This is one reason why they are expensive. Its not just a set of flashing leds.

Last edited:
That's a normal fully charged lipo - not a problem with those levels, they mark the lipos with the nominal voltages - as for the 3rd party lipos they are not upto the same spec as originals and can't cope. - False economy the 3rd party lipos.

There is almost a "small computer" sat on the top of each genuine DJI lipo to manage the cell balance, charge and discharge level automatically - This is one reason why they are expensive. Its not just a set of flashing leds.
Also to communicate with the AC and the Go App.

The aftermarket batteries have the small board and same functionality. They are expensive for the same reason an OEM oil filter is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31