Charger charge rates?

Reaction score
I tried to get this answer over in the DJI forums and got nothing. Will try here...

Can anyone give me the approximate charge time for the 57w advanced supply, the 100w pro supply and 4 pack charger? Does the 4 battery charger (from DJI) charge at a consistent rate or based on how many cells you throw on it (ie, 1 really fast or 4 really slow)? And how does it compare to either of the single chargers?

I ordered an advanced with a 4 pack charger and an extra battery. So I will have the 57w and the 4 pack charger. I am wanting to know whether its initially faster to drop both batteries on the 4 pack or one on the 57 and one on the 4 cell.

Also, whats the break even point here if anyone can tell me? Given these two chargers, how many batteries do I need to ultimately fly unlimited time (meaning I can charge batteries faster than I can use them)?

The 57w charger charges the battery in about 1.5 hours. The 100w only takes about 1 hour.

The DJI battery hub charges at the speed of whichever charger you hook to it. It does not come with its own 57w or 100w charger. The batteries will charge one at a time. The only difference is it's more convenient since you do not have to switch the batteries on the charger as each battery finishes charging.

Also, whats the break even point here if anyone can tell me? Given these two chargers, how many batteries do I need to ultimately fly unlimited time (meaning I can charge batteries faster than I can use them)?
You'll need 5+ batteries.

Reactions: Wolfiesden
I have the "Blue Box" charger that charges (3) batteries at the same time AND charges your Transmitter all at one time. The "DJI" chargers state to NOT charge a battery and the Tx at the same time. It's either/or.

With my setup I have 4 batteries and I can pretty much fly all day. I have to stop at some point to charge the Tx and take a break but I have flown many many times until I was tired of flying. I feel like if I had 2 more batteries I could fly non-stop. Also I still have the 100W charger but it's here in my office for "work time" charging chores LOL.

Here are some links for you to review:

Battery Chargers | DJI Phantom Forum
Multi P3 Battery Charger - Any Real Tested Solutions...? | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: Wolfiesden
Oh, crud. Seriously? Its not a charger? The 4 station is a glorified Y adapter? Boy, that was a waste of money. Their description didn't indicate that fact.

Do you know the DC input specs on it? I mean what voltage/current? I am hoping I can build a PSU to supply power to it and still have the basic charger that comes with the Phantom mainly for charging the remote.

Ok, watched the video. Looks like 17.5v is my target. I have several 12v 350w (30a) PSUs from my LED Christmas lights that I didn't use (ordered a case). I will see if the voltage adjust will crank up to 17+ on them If so that should be plenty of power for 4 batteries and the controller. I also have a couple 100w 24v PSUs, again, will see if I can dial them down to 17. I can 3D print the connectors I am sure.

Sounds like you may be overthinking this.. I have five batteries, the charger you see above and I can fly all day as long as I can power the 110 volt aftermarket charger which I do with a small gasoline generator which is practically noiseless. the charger was 80 bucks and charges 3 batteries and the controller. You just have to let the batteries cool for about 5 minutes following flight and then you can put it on the charger, by the time you finish with the fifth battery, the first one on the charger is ready to go and you have two more working.

Cheers

I didn't realize (and its totally not clear on their store site) that the 4 pack charger only charges ONE at a time nor is it clear it needs external power to work. I had hoped that buying the 4 pack charger that I could charge at least TWO things at once. One or more batteries on the 4 pack and the controller and/or a battery on the stock charger that comes with the Phantom.

Not really overthinking this. I already have a box of 12v and some 24v PSUs that were purchased for building my LED holiday lights. I am hoping to leverage one of the PSUs to power the 4 pack charger leaving the stock charger available for a 2nd battery or the controller.

If I can leverage one of the PSUs I have, then I can 3D print the connectors needed. Since the charge circuits are in the batteries and not in the charger as I had thought. I can then connect the PSU to the 4 pack as well as wire it to 3 other batteries to charge at least 4 off it.

I didn't realize (and its totally not clear on their store site) that the 4 pack charger only charges ONE at a time
The description on DJI's website seems pretty clear. Here's what it states:

"the Charging Hub automatically selects the individual battery with the highest amount of remaining power, and charges it until full before moving on to the next battery"

The description on DJI's website seems pretty clear. Here's what it states:

"the Charging Hub automatically selects the individual battery with the highest amount of remaining power, and charges it until full before moving on to the next battery"

For the staging instead of parallel charging, yea, that was my fault. I didn't catch that on the product page.

What it does NOT say is that it requires you to use your own PSU (ie either the 57 or 100w charger that came with the Phantom). All it says is "Compatible with the Phantom 3 series Charger." Which, when you discount the poor grammar as it likely being likely translated from Chinese, could mean almost anything. I took that to mean it was compatible with the Phantom 3 series (as in not the Phantom 2) of power packs. It doesn't actually say it REQUIRES that charger, just compatible with it. Thats what I meant it didn't indicate or that was unclear.

It doesn't actually say it REQUIRES that charger, just compatible with it.
True. DJI's products usually only come with what is pictured on their website. FYI for your future shopping on their website.

Well, given my experience with their shop, I won't be buying direct from them any longer. I found that their stuff is carried at B&H. I had no clue B&H had such stuff. I have bought thousands of dollars of camera gear from them. Worst they have ever done is 2 days to pack and ship and most of the time its shipped the same day or the next (depending on what time I put the order in). My Phantom just got shipped yesterday evening, 6 days (4 work days and a weekend) since I ordered it direct from DJI.

I've purchased camera equipment from B&H too, but I usually get my Phantom accessories from Amazon. They ship the quickest since I have Amazon Prime.

DJI normally ships quadcopters to me fairly quickly when they are not running sales or are not doing a new product launch. On two different occasions, I got an Inspire 1 delivered from China within 4 business days. In the US, Amazon is a great place to buy if time is of the essence.

I do agree that DJI could have and should have worded that a bit differently. Actually for the price I think it SHOULD come with a power supply.

I've purchased camera equipment from B&H too, but I usually get my Phantom accessories from Amazon. They ship the quickest since I have Amazon Prime.

DJI normally ships quadcopters to me fairly quickly when they are not running sales or are not doing a new product launch. On two different occasions, I got an Inspire 1 delivered from China within 4 business days. In the US, Amazon is a great place to buy if time is of the essence.

Thanks. I don't purchase anything through or from Amazon for personal reasons. Since I am new here I don't know how the forum feels about political hot topics so I will just leave it at that.

Reactions: BigAl07
I do agree that DJI could have and should have worded that a bit differently. Actually for the price I think it SHOULD come with a power supply.

I agree. Another reason I presumed it did. It wasn't a massively expensive mistake on my part. So NBD. Live and learn. I can still make use of it for now since I will only have 2 batteries. Even with the blue charger, I can't accomplish unlimited flight with only 2. But thats enough to get me some experience on it flying to find out if I really need to go the long fly time before I throw down for another 3-4 batteries for another $400+.

When I opened up my box for the first time the 1 battery was low, only one light was showing up on the indicator. I found that the 57w charger got it up to full in about 45 min! I do need to purchase a few more batteries and am considering the DJI hub as a convienent option. I'm thinking about sticking with the 57w charger that came with the P3S. Not sure yet maybe the few extra minutes I'll gain will be worth it to upgrade my charger to the 100w model.

One note in case you are not fully clear on the hub. This fact eluded me or I might not have purchased it. The hub only charges ONE battery at a time. Not sure if that matters to you. I thought it would charge all at the same time. I also thought it would have its own PSU. All completely wrong. It charges one, then goes to the next. Nice for overnight charging of 4 batteries. I had thought I could use it and the charger that came with the P3. Sadly the hub comes with no charger.

Had I known those things, I probably would have opted for the 3 way charger from a 3rd party. It DOES come with a PSU. It DOES charge more than one at a time.

I bought the similar charger on eBay with free shipping and the one I bought has little covers that don't leave prongs exposed, and I paid only $49.26

3f92275efacb0da183cf2fb5d0ae7f15.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20