Charge both Battery and Controller at the same time?

Reaction score
Since I am brand new to this, I want to learn, learn, learn.

Can I charge both the battery and the controller at the same time with the same charger?

Thanks in advance!

Denny

As I understand it... Using the charger that comes with your DJI bird... you should only charge one battery at a time or the RC by itself. If you have a multi-battery charging station, then you can charge the batteries at the same time.

Oddly, when I plugin the multi charger and a remote into a single power adapter (the stock one which comes with the P4P), both indicate they are charging (via the blinking battery gauge on one of the batteries and the remote respectively). They seemed to both be charging, though I did not perform a scientific control to determine the length of charge time or to determine if they were charging sequentially or in parallel.

However, due to the above, I bought a second charger to be safe. I have the multi charger on one (love that thing, BTW), and the remote on a second.

DJI do actually say it works but they also say they don't recommend it. I have charged both at the same time lots of times with no problems.

Reactions: BenStein
Hi flittermonkey, you need to read read read the manual manual manual..;);):rolleyes:
There is nothing in the manual saying not to charge them at the same time. The only place I've seen anything about this is the FAQ's on DJI's web site.

BTW, check the Phantom 3 battery manual, it says not to in that manual, then check the Phantom 4 battery manual, the warning not to do this was removed.

I just read through the v1.2 manual for the P4P (published Jan 2017) and the same holds true. It says the charger produces 100 watts. It does not show both charging at the same time, but does not advise against it in any way.

I just read through the v1.2 manual for the P4P (published Jan 2017) and the same holds true. It says the charger produces 100 watts. It does not show both charging at the same time, but does not advise against it in any way.
This is what the FAQ says and this is the only reference I can find regarding the subject and a P4.
Capture.PNG

Yes, RTFM is rude on non obvious issues and ironically he is wrong, it's not in the manual at all.

I have read the manuaI, read the QuickStart guide, anything I can get my hands on before this thing arrives today. I've watched YouTube videos and I'm just doing my best to be prepared. I just didn't want to tell him I read it because I might have missed it.

Thanks for your support brother!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: AlecW
As Alec stated, and in numerous other threads on this question, although there are vague references advising not to charge both at the same time, most people including myself charge both at the same time. The only practical advice is to have a well ventilated area for charging to manage any temperature rises with the batteries and the charger. The batteries are 'smart' batteries and do the regulating of the charge, not the other way around with regular battery chargers.

As Alec stated, and in numerous other threads on this question, although there are vague references advising not to charge both at the same time, most people including myself charge both at the same time. The only practical advice is to have a well ventilated area for charging to manage any temperature rises with the batteries and the charger. The batteries are 'smart' batteries and do the regulating of the charge, not the other way around with regular battery chargers.
I have a charging station in my garage for all batteries, drone, power tools and others. It's got a kiddie fire alarm thingy above it and an extinguisher not far away. They rarely catch fire but taking some precautions is not a bad idea. Having said that I probably have 10 gallons of gas in the garage and loads of other flammables LOL

I have a charging station in my garage for all batteries, drone, power tools and others. It's got a kiddie fire alarm thingy above it and an extinguisher not far away. They rarely catch fire but taking some precautions is not a bad idea. Having said that I probably have 10 gallons of gas in the garage and loads of other flammables LOL
I'm lucky the wife gave me one of her tables to set up a spot for my drone habit that is in the back of the house where it is cool, have a fan next to it for the warmer days. As for having fuel laying around, you just reminded me 10 ltrs of 98 that I left on a shelf next to my motorbike that doesn't need to be there...probably should get a fire extinguisher too...

Just keep a check on the power supply to the charger. Though charging 2 at a time may work, it may cause it to overheat.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've had my P4P charging and discharging (with the charging hub) for two weeks on and off with both the controller and 3-battery charging hub connected simultaneously and have had zero issues. I haven't seen anything that says you can't. Seems to be working fine.

Reactions: JohnnyB
I've had my P4P charging and discharging (with the charging hub) for two weeks on and off with both the controller and 3-battery charging hub connected simultaneously and have had zero issues. I haven't seen anything that says you can't. Seems to be working fine.

same here and the charger doesn't get any hotter than if you were charging only one or the other.

same here and the charger doesn't get any hotter than if you were charging only one or the other.

I agree. In my experience the charger is just a x-former and they produce the output regardless of the load. If it's a 100 watt charger it puts out 100 watts and what the battery won't take gets turned into heat.... best way to take out a x-former is overload or under load. We always size them to the load anytime we install on no matter the size. I usually charge my controller and battery at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: That Cicero Guy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1