Channel 7 update using a Mini Joystick.

Reaction score
As the channel 7 release didn’t work as I expected it to I removed the linear pot I had installed and replaced it with one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Axis-An...-with-button-Arduino-Compatible-/121476413191

I dare say you can buy one of these without the PCB which is rather large from mouser or the likes but I didn’t fancy the £12 postage for just this item.
Ideally a single axis joystick would have been ideal but this works fine.

If you don’t remove the PCB about the only place this will fit into the TX is on the front under the right joystick or on the back. If you remove the PCB it can fit more or less where you want it. For me I was most comfortable with it top right.

I removed the PCB to leave just the joystick, it’s a little fiddly and takes a while. You only need the 3 pins on one of the pots so had I thought about it before I would probably have just snipped all the other connections and only unsoldered the 3 on the pot I wanted to use.

I won’t go into the wiring as it’s just the same as connecting any pot up and there are numerous threads already with that information in. Here’s the first one I found searching but there are others... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1496&hilit=potentiometer

To fix the joystick in place where I wanted it I used Sugru, If you ever want to remove it as I did to get the old pot out of my TX it’s easy to get back off. I love that stuff, there’s so many things you can do with it.

When finished you get perfect control over the channel 7 tilt using the new updates. The more you push the joystick the faster the camera moves, let go anywhere and it stops. You can just touch the joystick lightly and the camera moves so slow you got to look twice to see if it is really moving.

I was more concerned with getting the job done than creating a “how to” so please excuse the well out of focus shots and managing to get an antenna smack in the centre view but you get the idea which is the main purpose :D

I did try uploading the video to here but the site thrown a wobbly and crashed every time it got to about 90% done so I stuck it on youtube but it's still loading by the look.

Hope it helps somebody or gives inspiration for improvements, have fun.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhCJT_Ofdv8[/youtube]

Attachments

• done.JPG
    done.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 777
johnie said:
Hope it helps somebody or gives inspiration for improvements, have fun.

You totally inspired me mate, well done :D

I scurried home from work and ripped apart an old PS2 controller and had an almost carbon copy of yours done in a couple of hours.

I removed the ch7 pot I had in the original S2 switch position & put the S2 switch back where it belongs, then jammed the PS2 joystick between the S2 switch and the left controller joystick mechanism.

It only just fits in but works an absolute treat!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 707
Hi Dbooty,

Glad it worked with the PS2 controller, as you say it’s the same thing really. The thought did cross my mind but I thought my son might miss a controller :lol:
Any small self centering joystick with the pots on the side should be good to use.

Initially I was annoyed with the new DJI updates which made the original mod pretty unusable but now I’m glad they done it that way because this is way better.

The joystick certainly works a treat moving the camera now. I haven’t had chance to get out and try it yet but I’m looking forward to giving it a go.

Cheers

Totally agree on all points mate!

Lookin forward to putting it through its paces tomorrow :D

Let me know how you get on with it in the air if you manage to get out.

I’m not going to have a chance until the weekend and then it’s dependent on the weather.

Nice! It's funny I have an old xbox controller and was toying with doing it last week. I then saw a self centering switch which I posted a day or so ago here. What resistance were the pots on your sticks by the way? I will be sorting something, I can't really get to grips with the way the new update works the tilt so I need to get something sorted.

Again, good job.

Hi Loaderbull,

It was either 5K or 10K I can't remember for sure, have a feeling it was 10K.

I would hazard a guess the xbox joystick is very similar if not the same as the PS2 dbooty used so you should be ok.

be interesting to see what brands of things that aren't used anymore with a joystick that works for this, although it's a pretty cheap item to buy if anyone doesn't want to decommission something to get the joystick off of it :-D

Just checked out the PS2 one and its 10k as well

I can confirm that the flight test went well.

I just kept my left index finger on the ch7 joystick and it was way better than the linear pot I originally had or the tilt control in the app :D

I'll upload a bit of video when I get a chance.

What is it about the thumb wheel that doesn't respond that well?

And did the assistant software have a gimbal calibrate option to maybe adjust the thumb wheel any? (I have not update firmware or app so I don't know)

flyNfrank said:
What is it about the thumb wheel that doesn't respond that well?

And did the assistant software have a gimbal calibrate option to maybe adjust the thumb wheel any? (I have not update firmware or app so I don't know)

I don't get this either and awesome mod dbooty. 10 points mate.

I have the 7th channel enabled on the traditional tx with the upgrade mode selected and she works beautiful. I have the latest firmware including the zen imu.

?????

Hi flyNfrank,

This is a mod on the traditional TX so we don’t have a thumbwheel that’s on the new TX unless your mean a rotary pot.

Hi Mako79,

It sounds like you have the same setup as I originally had and as you mention you do need the upgrade mode selected.

How the channel 7 update works with the upgrade selected means it’s more like a speed control, the more you slide/turn your pot the faster the camera moves as opposed to how we thought it would move in relation to the amount of movement of the slide/dial. So if you move your control a minute amount the camera will continue at that speed until it gets to the end of its range or you stop it by reversing your slide/dial

I found that although my slider worked I had two problems with it. 1st once I started to move the camera it would continue to move until I reversed the slider a tad to stop it. All you do to stop the camera moving with the joystick is let go. 2nd the slider really needed to always start any movement from a central position to be consistent.

The firmware update got channel 7 working and I could have lived with the slider/dial but using the joystick which is self centering makes any movement at any speed perfectly consistent every time.

If your happy with how it works stay with it but it really annoyed me.

Hope that answers your questions :)

Thanks Mako, although it was Johnie's idea, I just put my own twist on it :D

I love this new mod I gotta say, so easy to control the gimbal.

Here's a roughly edited video I took today with some fast and slow tilts...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-WotqPKUOk[/youtube]

Nice video dbooty, you sure like them flagpoles, I was getting ready to shut my eyes on that first one.

The slow tilt while you were turning looked great. I hope the weather is flyable here this weekend so I can give it a go.

All we need now is somebody to work out POI. I’m sure it must be possible either via an app mod or hardware. From what I can remember last time I looked the code for POI is already in the app but not enabled/working.

johnie said:
Nice video dbooty, you sure like them flagpoles, I was getting ready to shut my eyes on that first one.

Lol yeah I do, don't know why though coz it could bring you undone before you'd have time to say oh crap :shock:
I did the same at the end of this one...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36hmmqsWrs[/youtube]

dbooty said:
Thanks Mako, although it was Johnie's idea, I just put my own twist on it :D

I love this new mod I gotta say, so easy to control the gimbal.

Here's a roughly edited video I took today with some fast and slow tilts...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-WotqPKUOk[/youtube]

Nice tilties dbooty.
Congrats to Johnie on coming up with this.
Easy to control? the self centering must be the biggest gain in this mod.

And i noticed in the fly around... the horizon is off about 1-3 degrees.

I did a self centering mod with some left over spring from printer. I need to find a spring with more tension.
Love to get hold ofa 3d printer to mock up some levers that incorporates a self centre spring.

Spring%20Load%20mod.jpg

spring%20load.jpg

I'm happy with the results. Cheap and functional.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gJfkmXKX1A[/youtube]

That’s a great simple fix Mako, if it works go with it I say, nice video as well :)

A 3D printer is the next thing on my list to buy although I quite fancy a pair of BT-200’s not sure which will come first, just got to get to the point where the misses won’t notice I’m spending my money.

I must have missed the marriage vow that said What’s hers is hers and what’s mine is ours :lol:

Awesome video mate :D
Thats a cheap and cheerfull mod and seems to work well too!
How do you find panning up and down from the rear of the TX?

And yeah the gimbal on my phantom got a pretty good whack then I clipped a tree a few weeks ago.
It has some days when it's perfectly aligned then others when it's a degree or two off.
I might have some dust or crud on the pot.
Easy enough too clean that up and realign the gimbal if need be at least :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20