Changing receiver

Reaction score
I received my P2 yesterday and immediately opened her up to change the stock receiver for a Jeti receiver - as I want to use it with my Jeti DS-16 radio - as I do with my P1.

I have the option of either a traditional multi wire or single wire ppm receiver.

The swap was pretty painless, BUT when I came to configure the new receiver, I find that there is no option in the P2 assistant to swap receiver type and that the regular naza assistant doesn't recognise the P2 naza.

I happened to have a spare naza 2, so I quickly wired that in to test (leaving the existing P2 naza in situ) and in the naza assistant I can get my jeti radio working, but I'd much rather use the P2 naza as I'm not sure whether swapping in the naza 2 will bring other problems.

So, does anyone have a solution for changing receiver type with the P2 naza?

Aw, this ought to get interesting. I want to put AR8000 on mine (soon) to use my DX8 so I hope it's just a software thing.

Is the NAZA different in appearance? from a regular V2? I thought it just had a generic NAZA onboard. Of course, I wouldn't know because the dealer didn't ship mine until today. Will have to look into this.

The unit inside looks like a Naza V2, but instead of 'Naza' it has 'Phantom" written on the top.

The Phantom 2 Assistant has a button in the top bar which is supposed to allow you to switch between a Phantom set-up and the std Naza set-up and I assumed that in Naza mode I'd be able to see the RC type radio buttons, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Massive pain in the rear.

plingboot said:
The unit inside looks like a Naza V2, but instead of 'Naza' it has 'Phantom" written on the top.

The Phantom 2 Assistant has a button in the top bar which is supposed to allow you to switch between a Phantom set-up and the std Naza set-up and I assumed that in Naza mode I'd be able to see the RC type radio buttons, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Massive pain in the rear.

Hi Plingboot,

I have the same problem as you yesterday... I want to control the phantom with my ds-16 too. Did you send already some mails to dji support... I think when we keep stalking them with the question to enable the feature to switch different rx modes that they eventually would release a software update... untill now still no response from dji...

Yves

plingboot said:

It is a NAZA-M V2 however it won't work with the stock Naza Assistant Software, only the Phantom 2 Assistant. Although it is a NAZA-M V2 , the firmware is hybrid specifically for the Phantom so duing the initial scan by the assistant software so I don't think it identifies itself as a Naza-M V2.

I don't know how you can get around this issue. Sorry :(

i've contacted my reseller, dji-europe and dji-china.

i've had no response from DJI whatsoever and my reseller isn't in a position to help mach.

I've ordered a futaba SBE-1 sbus adaptor as potential solution - until DJI fixes this issue.

It's not arrived yet so i can't say whether it works or not.

the whole thing is so bloody frustrating. :(

in addition to the above, i've just posted a Poll on multirotor forums - the intention being to gather numbers of people who would prefer to have sbus, traditional and ppm receiver type connections.

if there's enough interested (numbers) i can go back to DJI and demonstrate the fact that this is functionality people actually want.

Hope forum mods don't mind me linking to the poll HERE

I just got an answer from dji support Europe :

I was asking them when it will be possible to change receiver mode in the phantom 2?
this was their reply :

Hi,
I´m afraid it´s not.
Obviously also not planned to be released.

Thanks

Best Regards,
Karl Dill
Technical Support

So bummer !!!

So where's the hack thread for the Phantom Naza? Locked bootloaders have been defeated in many applications. Not my forte but glad to help.

Just beyond belief if you ask me.

I so wish i'd not bought the Phantom 2 now and gone for a TBS Disco Pro instead.

But as i'm stuck with it i've bought a Futaba SBE-1 sbus converter, I hope to have chance to test it in the next couple of days - hopefully this will mean i can install my jeti radio equipment and sensors and get this thing in the air.

will report back

Hi Plingboot,

did you had the chance to test the futaba s.bus encoder yet?

Best regards,

Yves

Initial tests 'seemed' to be quite positive.

The 4 control channels, X2 and flightmodes are all operating correctly and without any glitching.

However, i seem to be having an issue with X1 - the gimbal control channel. Initially i was getting (when looking at the assistant RC pane) either full on or full off on that channel. I've tried again and seem to be getting nothing at all from that channel.

I don't know whether this is an issue with the SBE-1 or an issue with the Phantom Naza. When you open the P2 up there are two connections from the stock Rx and one is to X1. And I don't know whether it needs to have X1 as a separate input.

I've no way of testing the SBE-1 to see whether it's faulty, but suspect it's not as the other channels are all ok.

It would be great if DJI could help with this.

SUCCEESS!!

It transpires that he's using a PWM to sbus converter too.

Knowing that, I've just had another look at my jeti R9 -> Futaba SBE-1 -> Phantom 2 set up.

Everything was working except X1, which appeared to be dead. In a last ditch attempt I clicked 'calibrate X1' in the phantom 2 assistant and 'hey presto' X1 sprang to life and EVERYTHING now seems to be working correctly.

Next step is some careful checking of failsafes and other bits and as soon as it stops raining here in the UK I'll be out for a test flight, I'll post some photos later.

Only downside to this is the £170 I spent yesterday on a FrSky Taranis and one of their sbus receivers - which arrives today

hahaha.... It's no better down here in Devon :-( It's that wet I've been out walking my fish :lol:

goldfishrock said:
hahaha.... It's no better down here in Devon :-( It's that wet I've been out walking my fish :lol:
Reading the item on your page, would it be an idea to put your location area on your profile,then anyone reading your answer's can tell where you are, some member's have connected this way, add location to profile.

Plingboot,

Awesome post. I'm running into a bunch of the same issues; so frustrating. Just to clarify, you connected the PWM inputs to the NAZA-M (or the Phantom 2 version of the NAZA) on the Phantom 2 with the _stock_ firmware and were able to get it to respond? I'm not having much luck on this end.

Thanks!

The Futaba SBE-1 has a set of multiple cables on one side and a single cable on the other.

The multiple cable go into the PWM outputs on the receiver and the single cable (which is the converted sbus signal) is connected to the Naza.

Nothing more complicated than that.

I've done three test flights so far and the only thing I've had to fiddle with are the gains.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic