changing phantom stickers with Solas reflective tape.

Reaction score
The red or blue stickers provided with phantom are on the top of the drone ... you cant really view them when flying ,,they are more like cosmetic add onn than navigational indicators .... I replace them with SOLAS reflective tape... i stick them on the reflective tape and cut the tape the same size and shape. Not only the phantom looks much nicer ... but in case of an unfortunate event of loosing the drone in the night .... i can use my flash light to spot it ... those stickers reflect the flash light beam realy bright back .... it costs less than few euros.....

I had considered doing this myself :p
Was going to replace the red band stickers around the arms with red reflective tape. Please show us the pics.

Ozzyguy said:
I had considered doing this myself :p
Was going to replace the red band stickers around the arms with red reflective tape. Please show us the pics.

Contour cut red Scotchlite;

a7a9uryh.jpg

puzequ5y.jpg

I used red Reflexite. It's thin and flexible enough to install around curves easily. The only green I could find was 3M Type III. It's thicker and doesn't go around curves as easily. I'm looking for some green Reflexite.

There are a number of folks selling small strips of this stuff on Ebay.

Attachments

• DSC01630.JPG
    DSC01630.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 972
  • DSC01625.JPG
    DSC01625.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 901
Having cleaned the mud off of my Phantom with WD40 the stickers no longer stuck and I wanted something that stood out more. Cue Amazon. Yes it doesn't fit in the indents, yes I could have cut it down to do so, however the intention was to achieve maximum visibility.

Attachments

• 2014-03-01 08.55.44.jpg
    2014-03-01 08.55.44.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 919
pault said:
@Joeflyer - really like those red and green (port and starboard) stickers on the skids. Going to copy you :)

Yeah very neat idea, and I love the skid/camera solution...gives the Phantom a lot of help with balance on the ground, without having them stick in to your main FOV.

@seahorse: I bought the same material, just in solid red and solid silver, and placed 1"x2" inch patches at various places around the body/legs for testing. So far silver has worked as well as red, and I'll probably end up having it in a couple of spots on the shell to make sure it can reflect in most any direction/orientation.

The Phantom can definitely benefit from a wider footprint. I bought some hollow styrene tubes at my local hobby shop and attached them with nylon zip ties. Initially I had them attached front to back, which really helped with the tendency for it to lean forward on take off. Unfortunately I could see the tips in my videos so I reinstalled them right to left. Now they just help the landings.

I had been thinking about reflective tape and some glow in the dark stuff. But I was thinking they may have some metallic in the tapes that could cause RF issues. I was wondering why the DJI stickers were not reflective from the get go.

Any Thoughts?

I had been thinking about reflective tape and some glow in the dark stuff. But I was thinking they may have some metallic in the tapes that could cause RF issues. I was wondering why the DJI stickers were not reflective from the get go.

Any Thoughts?
I can't imagine that plastic reflective tape would do anything to RF. Especially considering that the striping would be located within inches of the motor which does have (some minimal) radio frequency interactions. The tape is just a bunch of Fresnel lenses or little glass beads. No metal.

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks, Hum, always wonder why there not stock?
Loose more, sell more.
:confused:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj