Changing camera settings. Do you?

Reaction score
Just interested from the pro vision photographers out there. Do you usually change any of the camera settings (ISO, sharpness etc) on the app, or do you usually leave it for post production with photoshop/lightroom?

Definitely not a pro ! but changing iso is important as that directly affects what is written to the sensor. So providing you have enough light try to keep it at 100. Also shoot with a bit of -ve exposure to make sure you do not blow out any highlights. Everything else can be changed in post.

I shoot the raw file (DNG). Force the ISO/ASA to 100. It's noisy enough without trying for 400 ASA.

If there's a lot of snow on the ground, I'll overexpose one stop. But that's about it.

Everything else can be done in post. Sharpening and other stuff isn't applied to a raw "image" anyway.

I delete the jpegs. On this camera, they're junk compared to the image you can get out of the raw file.

Cheers. Anything to help maximise picture for Lightroom would be good. Will try 100 ISO and play around with +/- exposure.

I switched to RAW in the settings, but when I downloaded the photos they show up as JPEG.

What am I doing wrong?

Pmcdn said:
I switched to RAW in the settings, but when I downloaded the photos they show up as JPEG.

What am I doing wrong?

Do you have the current camera firmware? The original firmware created proprietary raw files that no one ever made a converter for.

The current firmware allows the camera to create DNG files, which is an open source Adobe format.

BE SURE TO FORMAT YOUR CARD IN THE CAMERA before doing the camera firmware upgrade. It seems that people have bricked their cameras if they haven't done this first.

Are you only downloading files via your smartphone? Try using a micro SD card reader and downloading directly from the card.

I took some advice off another thread on this topic and it greatly improved my JPG image quality. It improved it so much, the pictures can actually be worked with in Photoshop and Lightroom without making you want to take a hammer to the FC200 cam.

These are my settings to get acceptable JPG shots: 100 ISO for every shot; manually change white balance accordingly (sunny, cloudy, etc); turn exposure to -.3 or less (you can always turn up underexposure in post, overexposure is usually a lost cause); set focus to average (two parenthesis without the dot in the middle); leave sharpness on standard.

Hope these settings can help some of you out. Just passing on good info that I learned from this forum that worked for me!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic