Changing battery need to recalibrate compass again?

Reaction score
Hello PP,

This maybe a silly question. Do you need to recalibrate the compass after you swap out to another fresh battery? I have 2 batteries. Thanks and always appreciated for your kind help.

Hello PP,

This maybe a silly question. Do you need to recalibrate the compass after you swap out to another fresh battery? I have 2 batteries. Thanks and always appreciated for your kind help.
When you need to recalibrate the compass you will get an onscreen reminder to do so , if you have not changed your location there should be no need

Klnyc, the short answer is no. But, check out this thread for more information about calibrating the compass.

Hello PP,

I calibrate at every fresh battery, or each flight which all the same in my case.

I have had phantom's sky drop in the past. From my experiences I have learned to play it safe. I no longer have sky drop's or fly aways. I now spend a lot of time reading the type of threads I use to post.

When you need to recalibrate the compass you will get an onscreen reminder to do so , if you have not changed your location there should be no need

And by location, you are talking about geographical region, not front yard to back yard, or the other side of town. Compasses are calibrated to magnetic north, which is not the same as the north pole (close but not the same). If you stay within 100 miles of where you calibrated last, you will likely see no problem. But if you move across the state or country, recalibrating is in your best interest. If you look at the picture below you will see the variations in magnetic north.
magneticdeclination.jpg

If you are in Alabama, for instance magnetic north is actually north. If you are in Seattle, though, magnetic north is 20 degrees east. So as you move across these isogonic lines, compass calibration is necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj