Ch7 Gimbal control with stock camera

themosttoys said:
Sorry if this has been previously noted in another thread.

Download this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/icz90nramn56m ... 2-tool.rar

Unzip, run application, select H2-3D.

Will also need to install the control lever (you can test with the small screw driver shipped with the vision.)

This allows camera tilt control without having to release flight controls.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but my initial reaction is to be afraid of this. Not knowing where it comes from, or what it really does makes me a bit nervous. However, as I said maybe I'm just being paranoid about getting my new $1200 toy hacked.

Anyway - I thought I read somewhere that the 7th channel in the Vision was physically disabled by DJI? Am I mistaken on that?

themosttoys said:

Will also need to install the control lever (you can test with the small screw driver shipped with the vision.)

Have you yourself tried it and if so did it work for you?

Count said:
I cannot seem to get the file to run. Explain how please

You first need to open the file and extract the compressed files within. I use 7zip (google search)

After extracted to a directory, run "Phantom2-Tool.exe". Connect your P2V to your computer with USB, select H2-3D.

This Works!!!! I already had the lever installed, just waiting for some software. This is GREAT! There is one small problem, though. The lever only travels about 30 degrees. The potentiometer inside of the transmitter actually moves well over 180 degrees. If you control the camera tilt with the lever, you only can move it through about 1/4 of it's full range. I think it is a flaw in the design of the lever. I think a new lever design is going to be needed to allow the full tilting range of the camera. I think I will shave the plastic off of the lever mount to allow another 30 or so degrees of movement, thus allowing more ability to tilt the camera.

This is an amazing find, and I have not seen it anywhere before. For kicks, I tried using the "Vision" setting on the software, and is did nothing.

Count said:
This Works!!!! I already had the lever installed, just waiting for some software. This is GREAT! There is one small problem, though. The lever only travels about 30 degrees. The potentiometer inside of the transmitter actually moves well over 180 degrees. If you control the camera tilt with the lever, you only can move it through about 1/4 of it's full range. I think it is a flaw in the design of the lever. I think a new lever design is going to be needed to allow the full tilting range of the camera. I think I will shave the plastic off of the lever mount to allow another 30 or so degrees of movement, thus allowing more ability to tilt the camera.

This is an amazing find, and I have not seen it anywhere before. For kicks, I tried using the "Vision" setting on the software, and is did nothing.

Use the DJI Phantom 2 assistant to calibrate.

themosttoys said:
Count said:

Use the DJI Phantom 2 assistant to calibrate.

Indeed no need to get the knife out at all just calibrate move the lever the full amount available ie 30 or so degrees in calibration mode and then you will get 100 percent output at the tilt.

themosttoys said:

Thank you very much! I won't ask you where you got the files from, but I had a look at them:
app.conf
phonon4.dll
QtCore4.dll
QtGui4.dll
QtNetwork4.dll
QtWebKit4.dll
QtXml4.dll
Are identical to the files found in C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08\

Phantom2-Tool.exe seems to be a recompiled version of Phantom2.exe, same file description (Assistant Application), Type (Program), Fileversion (1.0.0.2), Product name Assistant Application), Product version (1, 0, 0, 1), Copyright (Copyright (C) 2013), Language and original name (Assistant.exe)

Copying just the file "Phantom2-Tool.exe" to your C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08\ seems to work fine too.

I guess this is a preview of what to expect from Phantom 2 Assistant version 1.09 :)

For me it works fine. However i dont have my lever. U must know that u wont be able to tilt the cam via app. Its either ... or ... . It seem the software switches your P2V to P2 mode, thats all and no need to be worried about. But u can allways switch back to P2V and use your app. Its a pity DJI didnt do that factory setup.

DKDarkness said:
themosttoys said:

Thank you very much! I won't ask you where you got the files from, but I had a look at them:
app.conf
phonon4.dll
QtCore4.dll
QtGui4.dll
QtNetwork4.dll
QtWebKit4.dll
QtXml4.dll
Are identical to the files found in C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08\

Phantom2-Tool.exe seems to be a recompiled version of Phantom2.exe, same file description (Assistant Application), Type (Program), Fileversion (1.0.0.2), Product name Assistant Application), Product version (1, 0, 0, 1), Copyright (Copyright (C) 2013), Language and original name (Assistant.exe)

Copying just the file "Phantom2-Tool.exe" to your C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08\ seems to work fine too.

I guess this is a preview of what to expect from Phantom 2 Assistant version 1.09 :)

This was a tool issued by dji a while back to fix an issue where the assistant couldn't decide if it was hooked to a PV or a P2. So -- the files are all official dji. I downloaded it before Christmas...

dave21 said:
For me it works fine. However i dont have my lever. U must know that u wont be able to tilt the cam via app. Its either ... or ... . It seem the software switches your P2V to P2 mode, thats all and no need to be worried about. But u can allways switch back to P2V and use your app. Its a pity DJI didnt do that factory setup.

Yep, basically it appears to be tricking it into thinking the Vision is a P2, therefore "releasing" the full gimbal control functions. Neat little workaround. It will be very interesting to see if this works with the Rotorpixel or other third party gimbals that don't have 7th channel control like the Dronexpert gimbal.

I have no idea if it would cause any problems down the line but if you do this little hack I would think it would be a good idea to remember to reverse it back to stock before applying any future Vision firmware updates, just in case.

Can anyone who's done it confirm if it sorts out the Vision camera's tendency to drop from the chosen position over time?

kingcat200 said:
Use the DJI Phantom 2 assistant to calibrate.[/quote said:
Indeed no need to get the knife out at all just calibrate move the lever the full amount available ie 30 or so degrees in calibration mode and then you will get 100 percent output at the tilt.

This is done under the X1 calibration in the RC section?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Of course, I forgot about this. This is SO great, I hated having to control it from my tablet screen!

By the way, I have tried 3 different off brand levers, and the DJI. The DJI is BY FAR the best. The 3d printed ones come with a plastic shaft, and the metal one comes with no method of attaching to the transmitter case. Don't skimp here!

Count said:
By the way, I have tried 3 different off brand levers, and the DJI. The DJI is BY FAR the best. The 3d printed ones come with a plastic shaft, and the metal one comes with no method of attaching to the transmitter case. Don't skimp here!

Do you have a link to purchase the DJI lever? Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic