CH7 and older firmware, does it work?

Reaction score
In the Sierras, 17 miles outside Yosemite N. P.
Now that I have my Plus and see that the manual camera tilt via Ch7/Tx lever only works when the app is 'not' running (unfortunately making it pointless since you don't have FPV if the app isn't running) I'm wondering if anyone that has reverted back to older firmware in the Plus has tried to see if the manual tilt works then (like it it did on the P2V)?

As indicated above (and in the other Ch7 thread) the new firmware certainly does not allow 'Tx lever tilt' of the camera in a way that's of any practical use at all .... leaving the slow and cumbersome up/down arrows of the app as the only means to point the camera, which (IMHO) totally sucks.

With the lever and a bit of practice ..... you could just push it all the way, half way, or wherever you knew you wanted the camera to be, just by touch alone, without ever having to move your hand off the Tx or even look at the preview window.
It was great!!

Now you have to move your hand off the TX to hold the arrow icon, and worse ....... 'wait' for the camera to slooooowly move to the angle you want ... and you 'must' lose all "situational awareness" because you need to be looking at the preview image and not the Plus while navigating things like under bridges low fast shots, shots close to objects, and etc.

The camera tilting by tilting the Tx/app device combo is 'really' awkward .
It's just inconsistent in use.
You start off at one angle, then you end up with the TX/app device combo at a different angle to achieve the same camera angle until the Tx/device is completely upside down, or at least pointing away from you at such an angle that you can't even see the screen.
It looks good in the specs, but is not really pracical in use.

Hopefully there's a work-around .... or an update on the way that will allow it to work like it did in the P2V.

Lets all piss and snivel to DJI to bring back the Tx tilt ... and do it via the "gang banger" link that another person posted! ;)

Flyer91 said:
Now that I have my Plus and see that the manual camera tilt via Ch7/Tx lever only works when the app is 'not' running (unfortunately making it pointless since you don't have FPV if the app isn't running) I'm wondering if anyone that has reverted back to older firmware in the Plus has tried to see if the manual tilt works then (like it it did on the P2V)?

As indicated above (and in the other Ch7 thread) the new firmware certainly does not allow 'Tx lever tilt' of the camera in a way that's of any practical use at all .... leaving the slow and cumbersome up/down arrows of the app as the only means to point the camera, which (IMHO) totally sucks.

With the lever and a bit of practice ..... you could just push it all the way, half way, or wherever you knew you wanted the camera to be, just by touch alone, without ever having to move your hand off the Tx or even look at the preview window.
It was great!!

Now you have to move your hand off the TX to hold the arrow icon, and worse ....... 'wait' for the camera to slooooowly move to the angle you want ... and you 'must' lose all "situational awareness" because you need to be looking at the preview image and not the Plus while navigating things like under bridges low fast shots, shots close to objects, and etc.

The camera tilting by tilting the Tx/app device combo is 'really' awkward .
It's just inconsistent in use.
You start off at one angle, then you end up with the TX/app device combo at a different angle to achieve the same camera angle until the Tx/device is completely upside down, or at least pointing away from you at such an angle that you can't even see the screen.
It looks good in the specs, but is not really pracical in use.

Hopefully there's a work-around .... or an update on the way that will allow it to work like it did in the P2V.

Lets all piss and snivel to DJI to bring back the Tx tilt ... and do it via the "gang banger" link that another person posted! ;)

Do you use windows or mac?

I would experiment but I have a mac so to do the mod I have to borrow a buddies laptop.
If you have windows do you need links to software for downgrading and the old 7th channel hack that worked on the P2V1?

I have a P2V1 that is currently for sale.
I did the 7th cannel hack on v 1.08 and it works just fine.

So far I am loving the new + but no lever on the back is really driving me nuts. :evil:

tried reverting back to an older version of the dji app on the android side, but it still didn't work.

Flyer91 said:
I use a Windows PC and do have the old pre-2.0 firmware too.
If this is Star Trek territory (where no man has gone before) I'll revert and see if it works.
Was kinda hoping some brave Kirkian person had already made the trip tho ...... :?

I wouldn't attempt to do aircraft side firmware downgrade if that's what you are saying..could brick your sh!t! :cry:

I have heard of people runnin v1.08 because of the need to get around the no fly zones and slow decent.
I don't know why but some people like 1.08 better than 1.1 or 2.0. I think 2.0 has the 3 axis gimbal support and below that does not so 2.0 would be my choice.

Other + owners did this without a problem - or so I'm told. I don't think you have to worry about bricking.

As far as downgrading for the 7th Channel access - That is undiscovered county Mr. Kirk. ;)

Major thanks to you if you can help figure this one out.

One more thing about possible bricking,

The NAZA v2 flight controller is the same hardware across all phantom 2 platforms and was originally built around software v 1.0

As much as the phantoms look like a package deal many of the parts are the same as on f450 f550 and about 100 other brands that use DJI flight controllers.

Good point .... and thanks for the warning!

Although I thought I read that others had reverted (or maybe were just thinking about it) over concerns about GPS and etc. (but no word on the ch7 thing).
I'll do more research ..... and wait to see if DJI responds favorably ..... and soon.

This 'really' blows chunks being without it!! :x

Oops ... I just saw Resevor's replies.
Looks like I'll be playing with 2.0.
I'll do some reading .... or at least trying to get the folks that have revrted to see if it works.
Like another person on the other forum said ... whoever gets the fix posted is gonna be a hero!

Flyer91 said:
Oops ... I just saw Resevor's replies.
Looks like I'll be playing with 2.0.
I'll do some reading .... or at least trying to get the folks that have revrted to see if it works.
Like another person on the other forum said ... whoever gets the fix posted is gonna be a hero!

+1

UPDATE:

I just downgraded to v1.08

The 3rd axis on the gimbal does indeed work just fine. It will be a few days before I am able to do the 7th channel hack as I need to get a windows computer from my buddy.

I have also not done extensive flight testing but my limited test show that everything is fine.
If there is a problem I can just go back to 2.0 or 3.0.

Its the one glaring omission from the plus that you would have thought they would address - they should forget about "the app is wonderful, look what you can do with your phone" attitude and just make moving the camera position more effective, especially since the bloody pot is already there just waiting for a lever to be fitted !

Cmon DJI why make people take their hands off the sticks to move the camera ?.....not well thought out that one !!

:evil:

pyrophantom said:
Its the one glaring omission from the plus that you would have thought they would address - they should forget about "the app is wonderful, look what you can do with your phone" attitude and just make moving the camera position more effective, especially since the bloody pot is already there just waiting for a lever to be fitted !

Cmon DJI why make people take their hands off the sticks to move the camera ?.....not well thought out that one !!

:evil:

+1

How hard would it be to put an option in the app to chose one or the other. We know it works, it just takes some ingenuity on our parts to get it there.

ResevorDG said:
UPDATE:

I just downgraded to v1.08

The 3rd axis on the gimbal does indeed work just fine. It will be a few days before I am able to do the 7th channel hack as I need to get a windows computer from my buddy.

I have also not done extensive flight testing but my limited test show that everything is fine.
If there is a problem I can just go back to 2.0 or 3.0.

Great!!
Keep us posted, and when you have it all working, a step by step would be helpful for 'all'.
Looking good!!
Cyber-beers on me ....... ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik