Central Alabama area

Reaction score
I live in the Montgomery area... looking to find other Phantom pilots in the area. I have a nearly two-week old Phantom 2 Vision plus with about 30 flights on it so far. Really enjoying it although I wish the camera was better. I'm going to be building another quad/hex soon... Hit me up here!

Glen

Hi, Glen. PM coming your way.

I'm in the Birmingham area. Anyone in my area? I should be getting mine P3P later this week and would welcome someone with experience to fly with that may be able to give me some pointers.

I'm in the Birmingham area. Anyone in my area? I should be getting mine P3P later this week and would welcome someone with experience to fly with that may be able to give me some pointers.
I live in Huntsville.

Glenn

I'm not so sure I can give you any pointers! I flew the RC planes for many years. Got into the drones a 5 or 6 months ago because I couldn't see the markings on the planes during maneuvers. I have been flying a few months now and be glad to share what I've learned. Here is a list so far:
  1. You'll want a Gimbal guard. They run about $15 bucks. I got a carbon fibre one off Amazon. They attach to the bottom legs of the Phantom with plastic ties.
  2. I got a camera ribbon protector from REXUAV. It ran about $50.. I got it off Amazon (link is: http://www.amazon.com/Gimbal-Phanto...ie=UTF8&qid=1439824345&sr=1-2&keywords=rexuav). This saves the camera ribbon on a hard landing. $50 bucks vs $700. Gives you confidence.
  3. I ordered a Flytrex system at www.flytrex.com. Sends a 3G signal to mobile device for locating lost drone. Again, bit confidence saver. Also records a bunch of neat mission data. Certainly not required but good to have.
  4. Balance your propellers. I haven't used carbon fiber ones yet. They are expensive and some of the review have not been favorable. I have had no problems with my stock DJI props. Make sure you use DJI Composite Hub props. Mine were all off balance and needed a little expoxy to balance out.
  5. Make sure you have a Class 10 U3 Micro SD card for the copter. The images and videos are breathtaking. I had problems with my images because I had a class 10 but not a U3.
  6. I use PolarPro ND Filters. They offer a 3 pack on Amazon. They are amazing and greatly improve the images and videos. See Amazon
  7. I got prop guards from Summit Link. I don't use them anymore unless it is very windy or we are inside. They are about $29 and easy to install. These were my "training wheels".
  8. Wear out the flight simulator before you fly live. I also used the REALFLIGHT app on my iPhone for weeks before I flew. The simulator that comes with the Phantom is pretty basic but does the job on the controls.
  9. Calibrate the IMU, Gimbal, and Compass. Easy to do and plenty of stuff on YouTube.
  10. Make sure your firmware is up to date. Can be a little confusing. See Tutorials and YouTube.
  11. There is a good tutorial lesson on the DJI website on learning to fly. Basic maneuvers all the way up to advanced. They seem basic but they have been helpful.

Reactions: jaysimpson
Thanks GlennG! I've taken it up 4 times so far with no issues. :) I'll check out the stuff you mentioned, sounds like it's worth it to protect my P3P.

Thanks GlennG! I've taken it up 4 times so far with no issues. :) I'll check out the stuff you mentioned, sounds like it's worth it to protect my P3P.
Glad it is working for you. They are a blast. Check out the DJI Copters channel on YouTube. The guy does amazing stuff.

Reactions: jaysimpson

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie