Cellular or not?

Reaction score
Can't seem to get a strait answer. I'm going to pick up a mint p3a tomorrow from a guy who's only flown it for about 2 hrs total for a $1000!! Wooo!! Do I need a tablet or iPad with cellulsr?

You want a device that has GPS mostly. On iPads only the cellular model includes GPS. Still any model iPad will work but some of the follow me or other features might not work.

FYI there's a guy on Reddit.com/r/djiphantom selling his p3p for $1000

I have recently purchased a SkyPro GPS reciver which will connect to up to 5 devices at a time via Bluetooth and it performs faultlessly. It means that I don't need a cellular device to fly my phantom and the SkyPro GPS is far more accurate than an internal GPS.

How much is the skypro? What about tethering my phone with the tablet?
The SkyPro GPS receiver is $149. You can get an external GPS receiver for about $90. There is a list of commonly used GPS receivers here.

The cellular iPad models are usually about $100 more than the Wi-Fi only models. If you don't already have an iPad, then it'll best to get the cellular model if you need to use the features that requires GPS. Those features currently include resetting the home point to your current location and Follow Me. It'll also be more convenient since you won't have to haul around an external GPS receiver.

Last edited:
I have just upgraded to a cellular Ipad MIni 2 and the way points work perfectly. I have no sim card in it and am not connected to any cellular network. The GPS part in it obviously functions as before with a NON CELLULAR Ipad mini 2 way points never worked. I am experiencing a problem with "follow me" but that is probably only a matter of rebooting or re downloading the app.

The GPS part in it obviously functions as before with a NON CELLULAR Ipad mini 2 way points never worked.
It's true that you do not need to activate the cell service in order to use GPS on an iPad. GPS on the device is not required in order to use the waypoint feature.

Slightly off topic, but why are you buying a used P3A for $1000 when a brand new one with a full warranty costs $999?

Reactions: JBG and Bigdz
Sorry about the late reply. That would be a $1000 Canadian. They are about $1300 brand new here but that deal fell through anyway.

Can't seem to get a strait answer. I'm going to pick up a mint p3a tomorrow from a guy who's only flown it for about 2 hrs total for a $1000!! Wooo!! Do I need a tablet or iPad with cellulsr?
Do not buy a 2nd had bird. Friendly advice.

My understanding is that you can turn on a hot spot on your iPhone and pair that with a Wi-Fi only iPad mini.... And that will use GPS on the phone. Is that correct?

My understanding is that you can turn on a hot spot on your iPhone and pair that with a Wi-Fi only iPad mini.... And that will use GPS on the phone. Is that correct?
I'm not sure this is a true statement. I think I saw somewhere that using a hotspot will not provide the GPS functions required for follow me or poi. Using the Bluetooth connected GPS unit as suggested above will give you much better GPS reception as I under stand it. You can mount it on your wrist or the back of your goggles to get a good clear line of sight to the sats.

I'm not sure this is a true statement. I think I saw somewhere that using a hotspot will not provide the GPS functions required for follow me or poi. Using the Bluetooth connected GPS unit as suggested above will give you much better GPS reception as I under stand it. You can mount it on your wrist or the back of your goggles to get a good clear line of sight to the sats.
Correct. A tethered iDevice will not share GPS, just data.

I have over a 100 flights and I have always left my phone data on. Gives me the GSP earth views of where I am flying I have never had any issues.

What do you want to do? A lot of the features on Autopilot require cellular data so I got a cellular iPad Air 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers