Cellular iPad or WiFi?

• Thread starter Deleted member 113105
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 113105

From everyone’s experience, is it better to use an iPad with a cellular connection or does a WiFi iPad work just as good. I would tether it to my iPhone for a connection so I can unlock geo fencing, use Pix4D, DJI ground station, etc.

I jcurrenrly have the P4P v2 and will probably be purchasing the RTK model. Same questions on the RTK....

Thanks for your replies!

From everyone’s experience, is it better to use an iPad with a cellular connection or does a WiFi iPad work just as good. I would tether it to my iPhone for a connection so I can unlock geo fencing, use Pix4D, DJI ground station, etc.

I jcurrenrly have the P4P v2 and will probably be purchasing the RTK model. Same questions on the RTK....

Thanks for your replies!
Unless you have a need to use the features which require GPS at the RC location (follow me, reset HP to RC for example) then there is no need for the GPS enabled (cellular version) iPad.

Unless you have a need to use the features which require GPS at the RC location (follow me, reset HP to RC for example) then there is no need for the GPS enabled (cellular version) iPad.
Reset HP? Are you talking about the return to home function or return to me function? Won’t it always RTH wherever it takes off, regardless of WiFi or cellular?

How are you unlocking geo fence and using mapping programs without cellular?

Reset HP? Are you talking about the return to home function or return to me function? Won’t it always RTH wherever it takes off, regardless of WiFi or cellular?

How are you unlocking geo fence and using mapping programs without cellular?
What I said was 'reset HP to RC' which needs GPS at the RC to locate the RC. This requires a GPS enabled mobile device (most android devices or cellular iOS devices), a GPS enabled RC (if you have a compatible drone model), or an external (Bluetooth) GPS device.

This is not the same as the initial setting of HP at start up which uses the AC's own internal GPS.

Yes, the AC will return to the initial HP regardless of WiFi or cellular assuming you haven't reset the HP.

When using a WiFi only iPad, tethering to a phone will work to get internet access if needed.

Last edited:
Thank you. Would you recommend using the new iPad or the iPad Pro? I’m mostly be using GS Pro and Pix4D

The only flight functions that use the GPS receiver in your tablet are:
1. Follow-me The Phantom has to know the location of the target to be able to follow it.
2. Resetting home to the current location of the controller - used if you fly from a moving boat, car etc.

If you don't need those features (most flyers don't) there's no benefit from having a GPS enabled iPad.

ps .. If you wanted to use Follow-me, Active tracking uses optical tracking rather than GPS and works better.

The only flight functions that use the GPS receiver in your tablet are:
1. Follow-me The Phantom has to know the location of the target to be able to follow it.
2. Resetting home to the current location of the controller - used if you fly from a moving boat, car etc.

If you don't need those features (most flyers don't) there's no benefit from having a GPS enabled iPad.

ps .. If you wanted to use Follow-me, Active tracking uses optical tracking rather than GPS and works better.
Thank you. Exactly what I needed to know.

Reactions: Meta4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj