Cell Phone Towers

Reaction score
Has anyone flown next to cell phone towers? If so what has been your experience. Thinking of doing this because they are located high to get fireworks photos.

Personally I avoid any sort of towers, regardless of type. Getting too close can cause compass errors. As long as you are lets say 100ft away from any metallic object you should be ok. I would be extra weary of cell towers though. You just never know.:rolleyes:

Im not sure about these other guys posts above, but i have not had any problems flying near cellular towers personally, and if u do a quick search on youtube about drones flying near cell towers, youll see tons of videos about this subject....

Im not sure about these other guys posts above, but i have not had any problems flying near cellular towers personally, and if u do a quick search on youtube about drones flying near cell towers, youll see tons of videos about this subject....
Just to clarify a bit. It is not the transmission frequencies that are the issue. Those are far and away above the Phantoms frequency to cause interference from that prospective. I was simply pointing out that getting too close can cause the compass issues. So from my prospective, do so at your own risk. Might be fine, then again, as I said, you just never know. ;)

Reactions: Suhail78
Just to clarify a bit. It is not the transmission frequencies that are the issue. Those are far and away above the Phantoms frequency to cause interference from that prospective. I was simply pointing out that getting too close can cause the compass issues. So from my prospective, do so at your own risk. Might be fine, then again, as I said, you just never know. ;)

Can you link to info regarding the above in bold.

I can't find any and based on the underlined above you don't either.

I have a tower about 800 ft from my flying site and have ventured around it numerous times with nary any notice.

Can you link to info regarding the above in bold.

I can't find any and based on the underlined above you don't either.
In reply to that, no I can not link any definitive article or anything else for that matter. This may be just the way I treat things, but I treat towers, specifically cell towers, that are powered in any fashion, like they are high tension power lines. They all emit EMI in some form or fashion. Some more so than others. But they all do, and that part is factual. That's all I'm making the reference to as far as causing compass issues goes.It's not necessarily due to
the metallic properties of the tower itself.

Than to be clear this is just conjecture.

You have not experienced it by virtue of your avoidance and I have not by virtue of my experience.

Than to be clear this is just conjecture.
Correct, I have not experienced this personally. It is more theoretical, but using facts for the conclusion.
This same question was asked on dronevibes.com. Here is a response from a EE member that basically corresponds with what I said. But yes, again, theoretically speaking.

I am an EE but specific to industrial power with limited SCADA, Telecom, Wireless experience except that I am also a HAM radio operator - VE6GLT which is also most relevant to this question.

I would think if you are flying at least 100 away from a cell phone tower you should not have issues with them. But stay well away from microwave towers (not so much because of the frequencies but the extremely high and focused RF energy).

I'm a skeptic and critical thinker.
I use posts here to investigate further when possible and not accept things at face value

The quoted response is just anecdotal at best with no mention of the distance parameter or magnetometer related issues.

EMI is from the perspective of the receiver not the source.
That is to say the radiation is not the interference but rather the ability of the receiver to reject or overcome it.

EMI is from the perspective of the receiver not the source.
That is to say the radiation is not the interference but rather the ability of the receiver to reject or overcome it.
Again correct. And without knowing what the actual EMI shielding is, if any, inside the aircraft to prohibit the absorption of the energy without disrupting the operation, and also not knowing the actual energy value itself it really can't be anything other than simply being cautious and aware while being anywhere near the transmission points. I didn't mean for this to turn in to a technical discussion, I was just basically stating my own opinion. As I said not from my own flight experience. Have a great 4th!

Great, I'm pointing out that I (and other posts and vids. here indicate) have had no issues and will add that all cell towers are in fact microwave towers.

But furthering superstition does not add to the knowledge base and only promotes unsubstantiated fears.

The magnetometer is so misunderstood and vilified here and for no reason.

Please don't take the queries as a personal attack but rather an exploratory one.

Please don't take the queries as a personal attack but rather an exploratory one.
None taken my friend. Heading out to throw some ribs in the smoker. Enjoy the day!

This isn't a cell tower but radio tower which you would probably experience same interference none the less. Check it out. Guy works at the radio tower.

Great, I'm pointing out that I (and other posts and vids. here indicate) have had no issues and will add that all cell towers are in fact microwave towers.

But furthering superstition does not add to the knowledge base and only promotes unsubstantiated fears.

Amen! I suspect the "dangers" of flying close to towers is (a) common sense, (b) whatever it is, it's an obstacle to be avoided (including things attached to the tower that you might not see until it's too late!).

And as for "furthering superstition" the one that gripes me is the "fully charged battery" belief. Granted, I think it's foolish to take off with something like 40% of the battery remaining, but it makes no sense to issue a cautionary note if the battery is at 90%. I personally have flown many, many times by starting the flight with something like 80 - 90% battery life remaining - without crashing. I just have to keep in mind that I can't fly for as long. I fly mostly now with Litchi and the "update voice" is almost constantly reminding me of height, distance and battery life.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl