CAUTION! VPS AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE

Reaction score
Gents, I found a problem with the new firmware. It may be widespread or just on my bird (doubt it). My VPS isn't working properly. Once the craft is about 4'feet from the ground it descends to the ground without notice. It won't hold altitude under 10 feet. It just lands and not too slowly either. Just an FYI to keep your hands on your controls and eyes in the sky when your bringing her in. Has nothing to do with battery level etc and I checked and double checked all settings. Ugh. Come on DJI. And yes, no issues with my bird prior. It flew fine 20 mins before the firmware was updated. Thx and I hope this helps a few of you out there avoid meltdown. Let's hope there is a fix lined up for this.

@Sammynels
Does not sound good. Wonder if other people experience the same issue. I still haven't updated myself.

Everybody rushing to update!! If there's nothing wrong with your aircraftt, WHY UPDATE? I'm just saying...

Thats the question. However, it might fix something that you don't know is wrong or might go wrong. Or it might include new or improved functionality.

Personally, I always update to the latest.

Reactions: bobomet
Gents, I found a problem with the new firmware. It may be widespread or just on my bird (doubt it). My VPS isn't working properly. Once the craft is about 4'feet from the ground it descends to the ground without notice. It won't hold altitude under 10 feet. It just lands and not too slowly either. Just an FYI to keep your hands on your controls and eyes in the sky when your bringing her in. Has nothing to do with battery level etc and I checked and double checked all settings. Ugh. Come on DJI. And yes, no issues with my bird prior. It flew fine 20 mins before the firmware was updated. Thx and I hope this helps a few of you out there avoid meltdown. Let's hope there is a fix lined up for this.

I usually wait a month before updating. Wait for the early adopters to flag issues.

However with my P2 V plus... I do the following. Indoors, I do IMU calibration and make sure gain settings are DEFAULT (yes - this changes values on different firmwares in the p2). I also the RC sticks calibration. Outdoors, wide open known magnetic free space - redo compass calibration. Try this on the P3 and let us know how you go.

Last edited:
The Amount of VPS complaints is minimal compared to success stories.
Turn it off if you think it's happening to your machine and wait and see what DJI does.
I wounder if there is a factory reset hidden in the Phantom.
Google time bye...........................

I had zero problems with VPS…flew perfect…just had lag problems with video feed as I did before…also couldn't get my map up in the app after saving it for offline use

I update so that IF something goes wrong. It's just one more alibi for my case. Send your crashed bird back on old firmware and see what dji says..."should have been flying on our new firmware"

Let them be responsible for a crash...not you.

Reactions: Chris P Duck
Probably the same thing. Just wanted to help u guys. I know how much I love my setup so I was trying to help u guys avoid a bad day. I was debating upgrading the FW then I figured most issues are caused by not having the latest firmware. Got my second battery today at least, progress....

Reactions: Oso
My P3 does the exact same thing since the latest firmware firmware update. Doesn't hold altitude / hover under 10 feet. Turned off vps and does fly better.. awaiting next firmware upgrade or patch.. never had issues until this update...

I updated my brand new P3A today to v1.2.7 -- both the bird and the remote controller -- and have not experienced this issue. I left my aircraft hovering for several minutes at eye level in P-GPS mode while my wife took lots of pictures. Of course I'm brand new to the Phantom and to droning (?) so take my remarks with a grain of salt.

P3P 1.2.6 tried indoor VPS here no issue.
I had an issue with 1.1.9 and VPS on over gravel+asphalt, sunny day a couple of days ago so I leave it off outdoors now. it would bounce up/down and with the wind that day it actually flipped. Over some other surfaces I had more luck, but it's annoying/dangerous/unreliable.

I've flown mine about 8 times after the update and have not had any problems with distant flying or close to ground VPS mode. Have you tried re-doing the update to see if it's a glitch?

I usually wait a month before updating. Wait for the early adopters to flag issues.

However with my P2 V plus... I do the following. Indoors, I do IMU calibration and make sure gain settings are DEFAULT (yes - this changes values on different firmwares in the p2). I also the RC sticks calibration. Outdoors, wide open known magnetic free space - redo compass calibration. Try this on the P3 and let us know how you go.

I had the same issue today after my update. **** this sucks. I'm going to try to turn VPS off and see if it does better. Can I go back to the old firmware some way.

Reactions: AbsPapa
I've flown mine about 8 times after the update and have not had any problems with distant flying or close to ground VPS mode. Have you tried re-doing the update to see if it's a glitch?

Redo update? Not possible... as far as I know. Just as its not possible to go back a FW updated as well. :(

yes a real bummer.... with the lag problems, over heating problems and now VPS problems..... I wish it was possible to go backwards... it's a pain... if you don't update? The app bugs you to death... :(

I don't mind updating if I have trust in them... but the last two updates have caused issues... lost my trust u could say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers