CAUTION: Nvidia Shield Tablet owners with Headplay HD

Reaction score
So, I have to vent my frustrations today, even though I did not damage my P3P or anything. I got my new Headplay HD's (HD goggles) today. Decided to go out for a quick flight. By the way, I have the FPVLR long-range antennas installed.

I know batteries all charged (so I thought). Got good GPS signal. Took off straight up to 300ft. Then, I plugged in the battery to my goggles resting on top of my head. This makes the Shield's screen flip 180 degrees so it's upside down. I look up, and turns out I ascended and am hovering precisely in the the sun on a 92 degree day. So, I can't manuvere the craft down easily. Goggles are falling off my face, pushing the skin down on my forehead so I can't see straight. I hurredly put the goggles down on a lawn chair and try to fight to get the screen to orient correctly upside down. I can't get the menu to swipe down upside down. I finally do, and select auto-orientation, but it does nothing. Apparently, as soon as HDMI is plugged in, the Shield wants it one way and not my way. So, I try to flip the tablet around, but cables are jumbled and I almost drop it. That won't work. I look up to try to manuvere down again and then notice on the screen is says something like "gimbal motor not connected" which I'm seeing upside down. What the ?! Then I see lost signal and hear it descending on its own. I still can't see it to manuvere, but I trust RTH will probably save me. I touched some wrong and DJI Pilot exists and my Google calendar pops up. Really?? I'm trying to close that upside down and reload DJI Pilot. Meanwhile, It dawns on me that the booster battery (to run the LR antennas) is dead. I check quick and confirm. That probably explains all the weird errors. I run over to try to make sure Phantom isn't landing in a tree and my goggles go flying off the lawn chair and I'm dragging them through the yard. Saw it eventually, and brought it down safely, hands literally shaking.

Lessons:
1. Plan ahead if things go wrong. Decide what to do.
2. Don't plug in HDMI goggles to the Nvidia Shield Tablet when you're already in the air!!!

There. I feel a little better now.

So, I have to vent my frustrations today, even though I did not damage my P3P or anything. I got my new Headplay HD's (HD goggles) today. Decided to go out for a quick flight. By the way, I have the FPVLR long-range antennas installed.

I know batteries all charged (so I thought). Got good GPS signal. Took off straight up to 300ft. Then, I plugged in the battery to my goggles resting on top of my head. This makes the Shield's screen flip 180 degrees so it's upside down. I look up, and turns out I ascended and am hovering precisely in the the sun on a 92 degree day. So, I can't manuvere the craft down easily. Goggles are falling off my face, pushing the skin down on my forehead so I can't see straight. I hurredly put the goggles down on a lawn chair and try to fight to get the screen to orient correctly upside down. I can't get the menu to swipe down upside down. I finally do, and select auto-orientation, but it does nothing. Apparently, as soon as HDMI is plugged in, the Shield wants it one way and not my way. So, I try to flip the tablet around, but cables are jumbled and I almost drop it. That won't work. I look up to try to manuvere down again and then notice on the screen is says something like "gimbal motor not connected" which I'm seeing upside down. What the ?! Then I see lost signal and hear it descending on its own. I still can't see it to manuvere, but I trust RTH will probably save me. I touched some wrong and DJI Pilot exists and my Google calendar pops up. Really?? I'm trying to close that upside down and reload DJI Pilot. Meanwhile, It dawns on me that the booster battery (to run the LR antennas) is dead. I check quick and confirm. That probably explains all the weird errors. I run over to try to make sure Phantom isn't landing in a tree and my goggles go flying off the lawn chair and I'm dragging them through the yard. Saw it eventually, and brought it down safely, hands literally shaking.

Lessons:
1. Plan ahead if things go wrong. Decide what to do.
2. Don't plug in HDMI goggles to the Nvidia Shield Tablet when you're already in the air!!!

There. I feel a little better now.
hahahha. man, that's the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time. wish there was a video of the whole thing, lol. :)

Haha sorry but I could feel your panic. Thanks for sharing and yep I'd say it would be good advice to do a dry run without the props spinning to make sure everything is good to go before take off. Glad there was no major mishaps :)

Reactions: jlo
When and from where did you order your head play goggles? I ordered mine a month ago and nothing yet.

If I were a spectator who had no prior knowledge of Phantoms or anything, witnessing the story you described... Would be so so confusing.. Wearing strange Goggles, running around frantically looking upside down at a tablet connected to what looks like an Xbox controller while staring into the sun at some flying object.. Would have assumed you escaped from the nut house.

Good story tho

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Another overly anxious pilot lol.

This is why I take the time to test out all my new additions and gear and settings in the comfort of my air conditioned home with props off.

Glad to hear no damage was incurred.

Why would you go to 300 ft for a test flight of something new?

Good question. I had a neighbor call the cops on me. He doesn't like my "drone", so it's just routine to go up 300 ft. Plus, I still had video mirrored on the screen, so I wasn't flying completely blind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another overly anxious pilot lol.

This is why I take the time to test out all my new additions and gear and settings in the comfort of my air conditioned home with props off.

Glad to hear no damage was incurred.

Overly anxious because it costs A LOT of money!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31