Caution: Don't Use Magnetic Screwdriver

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my stupidity in order to prevent anyone else from blowing their compass module. After a few days of troubleshooting I finally realized that the reason why I could never get rid of the Red/Yellow flashing LED was because I had actually put a magnet right up against my compass - the screwdriver I used to assemble the Phantom.

I'm running all over the web now trying to get a new compass module (only about $10) but hard to find so far.

Oh, and "Hi" everyone. Nice to get in on the ground floor of a new forum. Looking forward to sharing and reading.

Ed, Manhattan, KS
Quadcopter newb

P.S. Purchased my Phantom from DSLRPros.com in L.A.

Thanks for the tip Ed! I do have a few magnetic screwdrivers laying around, better keep them away from the Phantom...

tanasit said:
Just in case that you haven't seen this, the compass may still be okay just follow the instruction in the clip.
It works for me.

Compass recalibration with magnet uses!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7Kf3uo ... 8XhIrjtx3h

You won't blow your compass. I magnetic screw driver, is so low it will not harm your compass, but will most likely stop you calibrating you compass and need a magnet to re calibrate.

I used a magnetic screw driver for mine and was fine after I used a magnet to correct it. None of my screw driver are non magnetic, they all seem to get magnetised in time, so what I have done is bought a demagnitzer, as it is a handy part of you tool kit to have, cheap enough to get off ebay.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj