Caution - Batteries don't fully insert without force

Reaction score
I've noticed that my 3 extra batteries don't fully insert into the Phantom with a normal push when compared to my first battery, which has none of these issues. Reading all these threads with battery errors I wondered if it might be related...

As usual I push the batteries in with reasonable force and I hear it clicking into place, but I noticed that there's a 1mm gap. At first i just thought it hadn't been built to precision as I did hear and feel it click into place, but after giving it an extra push it did click further into place as seen in the video below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

Good video, might help some folks... I've seen "Battery Pop-Out" threads and "Battery-Kill" threads here, and have added a complete, practical "push-pull" check to my Pre-Flight checklist...

...Served me well so far (Like 1 week, 20+ flights)...

Reactions: TulsaReiner
I like how your battery clicks in i would say right.Not checked mine out yet but going to after seeing your video
good post

Reactions: AmosMoses
Excellent example!! I always give the battery a good palm slap, like putting a clip in a gun. Checked all three of my batteries and I'm seeing the same thing IF you don't give it a bit of a "bump" they don't go all the way in either.

Think maybe this post could warrant a sticky spot!

I was able to simulate the same with one of my batteries by slowly pushing it in. So what's different between the batteries? Maybe the original battery gets worn in and is easier to insert. Maybe it's different manufacturing runs? I can't see a visual difference in my batteries.

I was able to simulate the same with one of my batteries by slowly pushing it in. So what's different between the batteries? Maybe the original battery gets worn in and is easier to insert. Maybe it's different manufacturing runs? I can't see a visual difference in my batteries.
I'd gander to guess that the batch of new batteries we received were manufactured with a 1/64" difference in width somewhere on the battery creating the tighter fit.

I've noticed that my 3 extra batteries don't fully insert into the Phantom with a normal push when compared to my first battery, which has none of these issues. Reading all these threads with battery errors I wondered if it might be related...

As usual I push the batteries in with reasonable force and I hear it clicking into place, but I noticed that there's a 1mm gap. At first i just thought it hadn't been built to precision as I did hear and feel it click into place, but after giving it an extra push it did click further into place as seen in the video below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View attachment 21914
View attachment 21915
I wonder if the attachment/hook point on the bottom of this battery is clicking in on the first push and then the top attachment/hook is clicking in on the second hard push?

As regards grease it will make it slide out easier to lol

Yes it does.

I have 3 batteries, one was a little sticky and 2 click location but with the silicon grease, the battery now slides in perfectly and easily with a positive click (and no gap)

I'd gander to guess that the batch of new batteries we received were manufactured with a 1/64" difference in width somewhere on the battery creating the tighter fit.
All of my battery's "click" in flush with no force.
Yup, my original battery is just like that, it clicks flush with only a small amount of force. That same force which works nicely with my first battery doesn't work for the others. :)

I have actually flown with that 1mm gap as I just thought the visible plastic outer layer was perhaps manufactured slightly out of line. I thought they clicked in ok so never guessed that they needed an extra push to fully insert until one of them went all the way in during a battery change. I then realised what the issue was and thought I'd best share in case others see the problem too and hopefully avoid a random battery failure mid flight!

I'll record a video showing the difference later this evening.

Does anyone else see this too, or is it just my Phantom? :)
I just posted on the other thread where the guy got critical battery warning and then it dropped like a rock.

Put in the replacment battery just now as I haven't used it yet. Boy it does not click in like the OEM that came with the P3. Got to be careful.

Or just make sure you hear that loud click.

On the first few insertions of my extra battery I experienced the same. After locking it in and taking it out about 10 times in a row it acts the same as the original battery. Maybe it just needs to be grooved a few times to losen up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic