Catastrophic failure :(

Reaction score
Well guys i dont know what is going on with my standard. I had at least 8 sats in view but the phantom kept changing to "safe to fly non gps mode" and then out of no where when i was luckily 15 feet from the ground instead of 100, it flipped right over and hit the ground.

stytfZ5.jpg

Any ideas what i should do about this crack on the gimble base?
The one corner without the locking pin on it popped out and the camera was flipped around so i had to pry it back but it seems to be fine now.

Im thinking one of the motors stopped working for a second and after it hit the ground the controller was unable to stop the motors.

Heres the flight log HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Thanks for the links guys. Has anyone checked out the flight log?

Last edited:
It also appears that you have some separation and even some misalignment circled in red
575a6c4b2ddb697936885b9df186084d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It also appears that you have some separation and even some misalignment circled in red
575a6c4b2ddb697936885b9df186084d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yes I think you are right the ribbon rubs on it a bit. I should have mentioned that. The camera and gimble like misaligned until I calibrated it. Also I just did a flight up to 250 feet and all was well.

You definitely lost gps signal at one point as the phantom switched between gps and atti 4 times. I'm assuming that's where it crashed when it lost gps, however GPS loss shouldn't cause the phantom to crash.

You definitely lost gps signal at one point as the phantom switched between gps and atti 4 times. I'm assuming that's where it crashed when it lost gps, however GPS loss shouldn't cause the phantom to crash.
You are correct. Losing GPS Does not cause the phantom to fall out of the sky. The probable causes are : motor failure, prop failure, grit or dirt in motor. Just throwing things out there. But definitely not GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey guys so I just did a flight and it kept switching to safe to fly non GPS.... so I don't know what the problem is. I calibrated everything and the remote also has a **** signal. Can I just return this to dji and they send a new one?

Reactions: Squirrel!
Hey guys so I just did a flight and it kept switching to safe to fly non GPS.... so I don't know what the problem is. I calibrated everything and the remote also has a **** signal. Can I just return this to dji and they send a new one?
You may have more going on under the shell. I'm only speculating on the causes but you had better check all your cable connections. GPS cable is on the top of the board along with the ufl connections for remote control 5.8GHz antennas. I'd do a thorough inspection inside and out. Make sure your connections are solid and get all your needed parts ordered in one shot. Or just get it into a repair center - another crash may be in your immediate future.

Good luck!

You may have more going on under the shell. I'm only speculating on the causes but you had better check all your cable connections. GPS cable is on the top of the board along with the ufl connections for remote control 5.8GHz antennas. I'd do a thorough inspection inside and out. Make sure your connections are solid and get all your needed parts ordered in one shot. Or just get it into a repair center - another crash may be in your immediate future.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely do what you said once I get home.

I just changed locations and it went well even got out to 1400 feet.

Now I'm wondering if cell towers would have been interfering

Reactions: Squirrel!
This is a picture of the cell towers. Usually I had no problem flying by them. But this is where the crash happened and then this morning I was on other side a couple miles away when it kept changing to safe to fly non GPS

Attachments

• 1462117306040.jpg
    1462117306040.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 408
Easy to find out...Fly it away from you and hit RTH. If it comes back, it has GPS...if not, start running to get it! ;)

Reactions: Buzz rabbit
I had that happen on my p1.1.1 found a cut in compass wire taped it fixed it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely do what you said once I get home.

I just changed locations and it went well even got out to 1400 feet.

Now I'm wondering if cell towers would have been interfering
Absolutely. Often times those towers are used for other services as well, including microwave rx/tx repeater points. Be careful when you pop the shell apart. Take your time. I had a minor crash (completely my fault) and found the ribbon cable from the camera to the main board was pinched and insulation was cut. It worked fine but I replaced it anyway. Just goes to show you never know what happens under the hood.

This is a picture of the cell towers. Usually I had no problem flying by them. But this is where the crash happened and then this morning I was on other side a couple miles away when it kept changing to safe to fly non GPS
Nice photo. There is more than cell coverage going on with those towers. Looks like FM radio or other RF usage. Be that as it may, flying a mile or more away should not be an issue - unless they are between the drone and your controller. I'd stay clear of the RFI and of the guy wires you'll never see until too late. :)

I had the same issues on 2 different flights, luckily I was only about a foot off of the ground both times. If the had been higher it would have been ugly!!! Went to a totally new location to fly and all was well ??? I'm guessing it was some type of interference ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31