Catalina island

Reaction score
any of you so cal people ever shot in Catalina? Checking the flight apps, its shows that Avalon is a NFZ because of some seaplane base near harbor, and it falls into the exclusion zone. Wondering if Avalon is off limits...

any of you so cal people ever shot in Catalina? Checking the flight apps, its shows that Avalon is a NFZ because of some seaplane base near harbor, and it falls into the exclusion zone. Wondering if Avalon is off limits...

There is an airport on Catalina Island, and it's also major intersection into several SoCal airways. So it's Controlled Airspace. Here's A Good Look: SoCal Offshore Airspace You'll need a clearance from ATC.

Here's More Info About Flying Into / Around Catalina Island :)

Last edited:
There is an airport on Catalina Island, and it's also major intersection into several SoCal airways. So it's Controlled Airspace. Here's A Good Look: SoCal Offshore Airspace You'll need a clearance from ATC.

Here's More Info About Flying Into / Around Catalina Island :)

Catalina KAVX airport is in class E airspace starting at 700 AGL. This means you can fly anywhere on the island under part 107 without running afoul of the FAA. If you're under model aircraft rules, that airport in the middle of the island puts a damper on things (5 miles). That being said, I'm not sure if there are any ground based laws in Avalon.

That being said, I'm not sure if there are any ground based laws in Avalon.
I flew there last year around Avalon, had no problem. I spoke to the Pebbly beach heliport nearby and assured him I would be less than 200' MSL, staying close to Avalon and not higher than 125' MSL near the cruise ship mooring area, nowhere close to their helipad. They were OK with that. The Catalina airport is 6mi away, so that's no problem.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

r
Much of Catalina is controlled because of the airport there and crowded SoCal airspace. Another factor is the large number of natural areas of the island that are off-limits to people and, especially, drones. In an ugly incident a week ago some clueless idiot buzzed a bald eagle nest, terrorizing the birds. He had ignored numerous large signs posted around the area forbidding entry. A sheriff's deputy was dispatched but unfortunately could not make contact. However, there are numerous live video cameras around the nests (there are 10 nests in total on the island), and biologists were able to give the sheriff's department excellent video of the offender. In his case, I would not recommend a return to the area.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31