Case for P2V+ with prop guards

Reaction score
This may be a bit derivative of other topics but is there any case that fits the Phantom 2 Vision + with prop guards or would I just have to remove them each time?
Thanks to everyone who posts here it is very informative.

Others will hopefully respond about a case.

I just want to note that when I started, I used prop guards, and bought a box from The Container Store which was a 20inch square corrugated box. It was 3 dollars and I was amazed that it was exactly the size with prop guards and it kept the copter really safe and snug in my car during travel. Just noting in "case" this might be useful to someone, as it might be an idea to try a cheap solution until you are sure you are staying with prop guards. Many people stay with prop guards, but many don't....

EDIT: I think it was: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?prod ... ugated+box
20" sq. x 12-1/2" h Corrugated Box - 200035
Listed here as : $4.79 but I remember paying 3 dollars and change.

Pros:

1. They save you from breaking the props, but you may break the prop guard instead.
For first flights for sure they are really great, till you get the hang of things.

2. They make the copter very visible, especially if you paint the prop guards, and then help with orientation.

Pros/Cons:

When you add the string to them, this adds an additional item that catches the copter on a tree branch.
The same applies for the prop guard, when it snaps it wraps around a branch and holds the copter there, instead of bouncing off.
This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on if the tree is accessible and how high it is.
The damage from the fall is many times, worse than getting someone to climb for it.

Cons:

Some speculate that it makes the craft a little heavier, and a little less maneuverable.
Some speculate that using prop guards increases the chance of rotor wash crash, when you descend too quickly straight down.
(you can search the forum for this).

I am no expert but these are my observations from watching things...

EDIT: Just be sure, that if you remove the prop guards, that you put back the original screws. Many motors have been damaged this way...

None of the more popular, Phantom specific cases will work with the prop guards on. The custom cases are way too big in my opinion. I was tired of taking the guards on and off when I stumbled on a thread by someone who used a special heavy duty Velcro type material to clip them on and off in about one second each. I tried it and it works like a charm. I'll try to send pics if anyone is interested. And just for the record, I am a long time, experienced helicopter/quad pilot and just like the looks with the guards on and it makes it look bigger in the air. The weight difference is almost nothing. Prop wash was an issue until I went to the new grey ES 300 props, now there is no prop wash going up or down.

I like the look of the guards too. I was bought a case as a gift, but alas it doesn't fit with the guards. I'd be keen to see the Velcro solution!

Jax Quad said:
None of the more popular, Phantom specific cases will work with the prop guards on. The custom cases are way too big in my opinion. I was tired of taking the guards on and off when I stumbled on a thread by someone who used a special heavy duty Velcro type material to clip them on and off in about one second each. I tried it and it works like a charm. I'll try to send pics if anyone is interested. And just for the record, I am a long time, experienced helicopter/quad pilot and just like the looks with the guards on and it makes it look bigger in the air. The weight difference is almost nothing. Prop wash was an issue until I went to the new grey ES 300 props, now there is no prop wash going up or down.

Would love to see these pics.
Cheers,
Martin

Jax Quad said:

I can see how the Velcro would make them easy to remove, but would they stay on when you need them to guard the props? If they come off too easy, they don't serve a purpose except to make the Phantom appear larger.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. It's nice to see a really supportive community out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4