Case for airline travel or protect it in the big case?

Reaction score
I have a hard case for the P3 and all my accessories - and I'm happy with it - but it definitively exceeds the size limitations for a carry on.

I'm trying to decide which option is the best:

1. Buy a case/backpack/whatever specifically for airline travel.
2. Protect the P3 & RC with bubble-wrap or something inside the hard case and check it.

From what I have read here, the biggest risk to checking the case is the TSA unpacking and being unable to properly re-pack the case during an inspection. But how big of a problem has this been in reality?

On the other hand, if there's a reasonably priced option for the overhead bin, that could be money well spent for peace of mind.

Opinions?

Reactions: joet
I have a hard case for the P3 and all my accessories - and I'm happy with it - but it definitively exceeds the size limitations for a carry on.

I'm trying to decide which option is the best:

1. Buy a case/backpack/whatever specifically for airline travel.
2. Protect the P3 & RC with bubble-wrap or something inside the hard case and check it.

From what I have read here, the biggest risk to checking the case is the TSA unpacking and being unable to properly re-pack the case during an inspection. But how big of a problem has this been in reality?

On the other hand, if there's a reasonably priced option for the overhead bin, that could be money well spent for peace of mind.

Opinions?
I would get a strong suitcase take blades off and put fragile stickers on the bag you should also cheek with the airline if it's ok to transport the batteries / they may be co concerned about fire hazard

Reactions: joet
Casepro ....... I searched everywhere, casepro cases are one of the few cases that meet the domestic and international carry on size requirements. I just traveled to Iceland and back with the backpack version..... Fits in overhead bins and not one question when going through security. The backpack is very comfortable when worn as a backpack but kind of awkward to carry by hand. I got the backpack thinking I would use it to hike too my take off point but never did. If I had to do it over..... I would opt for the hard case with handle and wheels (it's actually smaller). I still may get one of those also, which there is 2 versions of, standard and elite. (Different types of foam inserts)

Why do you need to wrap a hard case in bubble wrap? Does the interior not offer good protection? You'd still need to carry on all of the batteries. I'd simply buy a $50 back pack case and carry it on, batteries and everything. How much would checking a bag twice cost.

There are many virtues to own a good backpack for your drone.
1. Lighter weight when lugging around your drone on vacation/business trips.
2. It's easier to lug through the airport. I typically throw it over one shoulder with a single strap, easy on and off the back when stopping and starting in lines, restroom, restaurants, gate, taxi, shuttle, etc.
3. Looks less conspicuous when travelling, less of a target for theft (assuming you don't have a logo on the backpack giving away what you're carrying).
4. Generally more room to carry things (Pro Craft, Think Tank Helipak)
5. Generally fits into the overhead compartment of an airplane easier (Helipak)
6. You can go conveniently go backpacking into the wilderness to fly. Many times I'll hike 1/4mi to a mile to hide myself from public view to fly. Occasionally I'll hike 5 to 10mi in special areas.
7. It's easier to carry your drone while riding a Segway, skateboard, bike, scooter or motorcycle.
8. It provides more options to get away from civilization to fly.
9. You get stopped less at airport security to be swabbed, versus hard cases (this is my observation).
10. Nobody thinks twice if you're walking around a city, subway, parks or beach with an unmarked backpack on your back. With a hard case in the same areas people are more likely to wonder whats in the case, raising eyebrows. You simply run a higher risk of looking "out of place", bringing suspicion to your presence lugging around a hard case.
11. You can walk faster and easier for longer distances with less fatigue, versus using a hard case.

On the other hand, if you're doing commercial drone work, using a hard case makes you look more professional. It makes you look more organized and serious about your work.

I just did a clip that covers traveling with your drone and show a few cases that I use. I'm on a plane a few times a week and include a few tips you'll need to know to zip through an airport. My suggestion would be to get a case that fits overhead and carry the drone on board with you and check your suitcase.

I picked up a back pack that was personal size (personal size is free on the airline) ,and had a carry-on for 10 day trip to cancun. No problems.And carried that bagwith me on some pretty big hikes
If you put it in a suitcase then you have to carry that suitcase where ever you want to fly. Much easier to get a back pack.
Heres the link Recommend a 17x13x8 backpack for air traval
And heres the bag ,it was $109.
Are you in NJ area,You can use mine
upload_2016-9-15_15-50-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-15_15-41-59.png
    upload_2016-9-15_15-41-59.png
    237.4 KB · Views: 317
Reactions: Lil Rascal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics