CASA Remotely piloted aircraft

Reaction score
Hi All

Saw there is a Casa RPA course for those who presumably want to fly for commercial purposes.

I dont want the certificate because I dont want to use for commercial purposes nor do I want to pay another $600 for medical test (have an expired Pilots licence... single engine aircraft.. flying cost to much).

Anyways I will email Casa and ask.. but does anyone have a clue wherr I could find/buy the course material? Wpuldnt mind just reading up on the material...

Anyone have this cert? Or going for it??

Thanks heaps :)

That pages gives a 404; However have sent an email to them... asking about where to get course material (and telling them I have no intention of commercial, just looking for extra info to ensure safe flight)

Hopefully they help... I mean they are here to make it safe...

I did see it says something about course is available in 2016, but that might be part of it etc..

PPL was easy.. just buy the book.. learn it.... learn to fly etc etc... no actual casa sylbus...

Anyways we shall.. and I'll let you folks know what response I get if anyone else is interested.

This mob has a bit of information regarding CC's and UOC's - http://rpastraining.com.au
You don't need a medical certificate for a CC just a pass in the PPL theory, Radio Flight Certification (AROCP), Manufacturer's Certificate for the UAV your flying and a Logbook with at least 5 hours plus $160.
Be aware that a CC only allows you to fly commercially under someone with a UOC.

Cheers.......Doug

Ah you serious..Thought I read you need a medical... PPL theory is basic... but I sold all my books grrr!!
Yeah your right, it says class 2 medical is optional.

Saw that website when I downloaded that app...Looked interesting... All though I was mainly interested to there see helipads and stuff where in my area.

1 question... what is a UOC ? It mentions it a few times, but does not have the meanining down the bottom in the "abbreviation" sections.

Anyways wouldn't mind seeing some of the course work anyways if anyone does it and has to buy any special 'drone' related books.

Another question.. Its legal for us to fly if we follow the guidlines on the page.. e.g don't fly over 400feet etc etc.... right ? As long as its not for commercial reasons I mean..

*edit* reading a bit more... PPL theory doesn't take 3.5 hours lol... well maybe for some :|

Direct from CASA's website ... http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... =PC_100375
From CASA's perspective, the difference between RPA and model aircraft is that RPA are used for commercial, government or research purposes and model aircraft are flown just for fun – for sport and recreation.

In other words, CASA classifies your unmanned aircraft by what you do with it. Licensing
Model aircraft
You do not need formal piloting qualifications to operate a radio-controlled model. But … you do need to observe some rules (see below: 'What's allowed').
It is illegal to fly a model aircraft for commercial hire and reward unless you have an unmanned operator's certificate covering that type of operation.

CASA replied back... kinda unhelpful, I guess.. They just replied back with all the certified companies who can run the course... Might call some tomorrow. Interessed to hear where they get the course work from (books?? Casa themselves) Can't imagine its an actuall text book, so perhaps if its Casa material, or any non text book material I can try swipe a copy at a good price..

Should be free for people not planning to do the course/commercial work if it will reduce risk to all concerned, but such is the government :)

Also be great to hear from anyone here who's done it ?

Seems like 99% of the companies offering at are aerial photography type places.

Those companies charge $5000+ for their courses.
Somehow I suspect they might be unwilling to give away their course material for free.
I also suspect there would be very little of any relevance in the courses.
Have a look at the course outlines on their websites.
Here's one http://ausacademy.org/wp-content/upload ... 014-v7.pdf

Meta4 said:
Those companies charge $5000+ for their courses.
Somehow I suspect they might be unwilling to give away their course material for free.
I also suspect there would be very little of any relevance in the courses.
Have a look at the course outlines on their websites.
Here's one http://ausacademy.org/wp-content/upload ... 014-v7.pdf

I agree I think this is all a money grab as these training courses cant get you for a cert to fly for commercial as the current formatt from casa requires you to have a business plan in place sop etc etc jump through hoops. Read the fine print they dont say after this course you can fly for commercial all they say hey for $5000 we will show you the ingredients its up to you to make the meal.
Goodluck .. just seams too me a new way these guys with ppl licenses finding a way to cash in on gullible people.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1