CASA Australia introduces easier Very a Small Drone commercial operations from 29 Sep 2016

So...what, you're going to have to notify CASA every time you want to go out and fly somewhere?? Or does this only apply to someone who wants to sell their images or video from a particular flight?

Last edited:
So...what, you're going to have to notify CASA every time you want to go out and fly somewhere?? Or does this only apply to someone who wants to sell their images or video from a particular flight?
Will only apply if you are operating commercially -

That part seems a bit pointless.
Thousands of drones in the air recreationally flying and they don't want to know but if you launch to do a couple of real estate photos at 40 feet they want to be advised???
At least they say they will have an easy online notification system.

That part seems a bit pointless.
Thousands of drones in the air recreationally flying and they don't want to know but if you launch to do a couple of real estate photos at 40 feet they want to be advised???
At least they say they will have an easy online notification system.

Totally agree, Meta4. It's the same absurdity as the law they have now where you need to be certified - not to FLY a quad, but to sell your work.

And what if you're one of those folks who lives in the countryside and just gets in the car looking for a safe and pleasant place to fly? I often don't know where I will end up - I do check that I'm not near a NFZ, and I do check out the area once I'm there for power lines, towers, farm houses, livestock, etc...but my flights in my area aren't always planned in the sense that I definitely know where I'm headed - often times I have an idea of where I'm going and when I get there, I just figure it's not the best place to take off and fly, and then I look for some place that is.

I wonder how specific they expect us to be when notifying them...just the town or the exact location with road names...?

Feels a bit like having to tell your mum first where you're going when you're heading out... [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just posted by CASA in their newsletter:

"Updates to remotely piloted aircraft rules
Regulatory requirements for a sector of the booming remotely piloted aircraft industry are being eased. Commercial operators of very small remotely piloted aircraft will no longer need to obtain regulatory approvals such as an operator’s certificate and a remote pilot licence. The changes, which take effect from 29 September 2016, apply to remotely piloted aircraft used in commercial operations weighing less than two kilograms maximum take-off weight. These operators will need to notify CASA that they intend to use very small remotely piloted aircraft for commercial flights and must operate according to a set of standard operating conditions. These mandatory conditions include flying only in day visual line of sight, below 120 metres, keeping more than 30 metres away from other people, flying more than 5.5 kilometres from controlled aerodromes and not operating near emergency situations. An online system will be used by the commercial operators of very small remotely piloted aircraft to notify CASA of their operations. The package of changes made to the regulations covering remotely piloted aircraft also permits private landholders to carry out a range of activities on their own land without the need for approvals from CASA. This includes remotely piloted aircraft up to 25 kilograms in weight where no money is paid for flights. CASA is finalising a series of advisory circulars covering remotely piloted aircraft operations. These will cover training and licensing, operators and operations, general information and the sub-two kilogram class."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1