Carry on battery limit?

Reaction score
Friend of mine flying this morning from BWI to Orlando was carrying 5 phantom batteries on his carry on. All fully discharged, he was pulled aside after going thru the scanner and was told the limit was 3. He got into a brief pissing match and finally said screw it and called his wife. Luckily he lives close enough to the airport and had the time to meet his wife to give her 2 batteries.

Do you know which airline?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I believe it was AA, their seemed to be some confusion between the workers. It was easier for his wife to come and get them and overnight UPS the batteries to him.

I haven't seen any limits, I'm going to Vegas in October and planned to take 4 batteries.....maybe I'll just stick with 3 lol

Or bring all 4 and put two in each carry on:D

I believe it was AA, their seemed to be some confusion between the workers. It was easier for his wife to come and get them and overnight UPS the batteries to him.

I haven't seen any limits, I'm going to Vegas in October and planned to take 4 batteries.....maybe I'll just stick with 3 lol

I'd do the two and two as you eluded to above.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: FASTFJR

Airline policies vary but a limit of two is pretty typical. TSA inspectors are not always fully trained on how to handle this, as well. I recommend placing a printed copy of TSA regulations and specific airline luggage restrictions in your carry on bag. Present this politely if challenged, as an antagonistic approach never works with TSA or airline employees.

Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

Pack Safe

Restricted items − Baggage − American Airlines

Excerpt from AA

We allow up to 2 spare batteries for personal use, with restrictions:

• Each spare battery is individually protected in accordance with our lithium battery acceptance policy

• Batteries are in carry-on baggage only

• For a lithium metal battery, lithium content cannot be more than 2 grams per battery

• For a lithium-ion battery, total equivalent lithium content cannot be more than 8 grams per battery

• Up to two batteries may be carried as long as total lithium equivalent content is between 8 and 25 grams

Reactions: FASTFJR
Airline policies vary but a limit of two is pretty typical. TSA inspectors are not always fully trained on how to handle this, as well. I recommend placing a printed copy of TSA regulations and specific airline luggage restrictions in your carry on bag. Present this politely if challenged, as an antagonistic approach never works with TSA or airline employees.

Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

Pack Safe

Restricted items − Baggage − American Airlines

Excerpt from AA

We allow up to 2 spare batteries for personal use, with restrictions:

• Each spare battery is individually protected in accordance with our lithium battery acceptance policy

• Batteries are in carry-on baggage only

• For a lithium metal battery, lithium content cannot be more than 2 grams per battery

• For a lithium-ion battery, total equivalent lithium content cannot be more than 8 grams per battery

• Up to two batteries may be carried as long as total lithium equivalent content is between 8 and 25 grams

Great info, I guess since I have never traveled with my UAV on a plane I never gave it much thought

I know airlines have certain restrictions. However, TSA is not an employee of every airline. TSA has their requirements and I don't see that they have any right to apply possible airline restrictions to luggage they inspect. Here is TSA's info on batteries:
upload_2016-8-3_16-41-18.png

There is no mention of number or size. I'd certainly ask TSA where it shows that they have a right to reject someone based on the number of batteries they have. I have no doubt that there are tons of people who take more then two batteries through TSA. According to AA, their "2" limit also applies to lithium batteries. I've been through hundreds of TSA check points with more then 2 batteries and nothing has ever been said. I've been through TSA probably 10 times with 4 lipo Phantom batteries and never had them say anything. I've also had them swab everything after being checked and still never said anything. If I were him, I'd contact TSA and point this out to them.

Under 100wh per battery and there is no limit. 101+ Its 2 batteries.

I've carried on 12+ Larger LIPOs for jobs routinely without issue. TSA Always takes an additional look but they should know the rules.

The TSA's rules and the airlines can vary. You have to meet both sets of requirements.

No problem with 6 batteries going threw ACY ,FLL,Cancun
FLL swabbed every thing but they were cool and let me take it all out and put it back so nothing got damaged

This battery/airline question keeps popping up! To help people out I whipped up a resource to check airline policies on LiPOs. Let me know if I should add an airline. Click the logos to go to the airline policy directly.
Fly Safe!

Airline Rules For Drone Batteries

AA website says that less the 100wh you can take as many as you like in your carry on (implication is as many as you can fit within the weight/size limitations of carry on bags).

Attachments

• IMG_0289.PNG
    IMG_0289.PNG
    195.5 KB · Views: 359

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20