Carbon Props?

Reaction score
I need more props, see the Why Did You Crash thread. ;)

I noticed HeliPal has Phantom Vision Carbon props. Not a big price difference from the stock props. What's the benefit?

Thanks!

FlyingElvis said:

I noticed HeliPal has Phantom Vision Carbon props. Not a big price difference from the stock props. What's the benefit?

Thanks!

Not sure if the benefit outweighs the negatives, It seems the OEM Props are flexible for a reason...it softens turns and bounces in the crafts movements when its ascending and descending. Probably not a big deal for general flying, but for good video the DJI Props are probably better than aftermarket. Of course this is opinion only, but it makes sense, based on what I've read.

Many many people have tried aftermarket props and I havent hear any success stories. Carbon fiber as well as supposidly idential, but I havent heard from anyone that thet actually worked. From unstability to falling off mid flight.

Yes I'd be interested as well.
I fly Helis and carbon props are great when doing 3d.
They are stiffer and head speed gets faster. Those are the major benefits and great when flying 3d .
Negative side I can think of:
They require better balancing, are stiffer so can cause more vibrations, are made of carbon which is a wifi blocker and cause more interference (as is metal), will probably decrease flight time, may cause more damage in case of a crash compared to plastic which will break / bend immediately on impact and so on.
So what are the benefits for flying a small drone used for filming and fpv? I wonder?

FlyingElvis said:

Thanks!

Hey I will tell you I Absolutely Love my ★CF Props★!!! So take the negitive Nellies with a grain of salt...ok
PM me if you need any particulars.
Moose

Moose said:
FlyingElvis said:

Thanks!

Hey I will tell you I Absolutely Love my ★CF Props★!!! So take the negitive Nellies with a grain of salt...ok
Moose
Why do you love them so much? Do they give you longer flight times ? Less jello? What's better ? I had on them my 450, took them off and went back to the dji props. Just liked the way if flew with the dji props better.

Mori55 said:
Moose said:
FlyingElvis said:

Thanks!

Moose
Why do you love them so much? Do they give you longer flight times ? Less jello? What's better ? I had on them my 450, took them off and went back to the dji props. Just liked the way if flew with the dji props better.

Haters want to Hate! ◆ Can't Relate......
Moose
Better Control in every flight configuration★Better for Windy conditions★and since your asking they just look better with my color motif...LOL

Attachments

• 20140402_194959.jpg
    20140402_194959.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 992
I don't think anyone is trying to be negative or a Hater as you put it. I'm just looking for empirical evidence they are a benefit for Videography (stability/softness). I've not read that they were, indeed I have read that may well be worse than OEM (as I had stated in my earlier post.) There is nothing firm on this either way....regardless of "cool factor".

Again...the Prop issue may well have different opinions based on the reasons you buy/fly/use your Vision.

Will reserve judgment until further testing.
Thanks,

The Rookie

RCRookie said:
I don't think anyone is trying to be negative or a Hater as you put it. I'm just looking for empirical evidence they are a benefit for Videography (stability/softness). I've not read that they were, indeed I have read that may well be worse that OEM (as I had stated in my earlier post.) There is nothing firm on this either way....regardless of "cool factor".

Again...the Prop issue may well have different opinions based on the reasons you buy/fly/use your Vision.

Will reserve judgment until further testing.

The Rookie

Hey Rookie sorry if my Hater comment was taken offensively, after re-reading the post it did kind of sound like the type of comment I despise in a website like PP's. I have read several negitive opinions given regarding the CF Prop's and felt that the author was unfair and uninformed in their comments. I should have used better filter judgement of the key stroke.
★ Anyway- as a past owner of 20+ R/C helicopters and 1000's of hours flying them. I know that ALL of those birds perform better with CF Props.
Now I'm only 100+ hrs into flying multirotor ◆all with my P2V◆ and I ran 20 of those hrs using the stock props. I did my own research into buying a set of ★aftermarket P2V CF Props★ and found a Co. who made the ◆self-tight design in CF.(Did'nt even consider buying the type with seperate nuts) I bought a set to try out.(•••being leary of using CF props after almost loosing some fingers with my 1st 6ch Helo•••)◆wrote about that disaster in another CF Prop post◆, anyway I wasn't Hell bent on having too have CF Props. I just knew how much better they preformed than Wood or Plastic. So I decided to check it out.
When I received the props the first thing I noticed was how well they were made! I raced cars when I was younger and then raced Supercarts. I'm a big guy moose...lol; and when we built my 250 & 125 cart we needed to use a lot of composite carbon fiber, not only save on weight, but also safety.I am basically a hemophiliac,due to meds I have too take Anyway I worked with AJ Foyt's CF guy & learned when to use,why to use,where to use, and most of all spot a good or bad CF job!
Sorry for this long explanation to your question but I wanted you and anyone else to understand why I am so pro ★Carbon Fiber Composite P2V Props★.
*Anyway, back to the purchase I made of the props and my R/C hobby semi-expert opinion observed with my new set of CF P2V Props...
★Excellent Construction
★Perfect Balance ◆balanced @ factory
★Perfect Fit
★Superior thread construction compared to OE prop
★Superior Lift Performance
★Superior Thrust Scrubbing ◆deceleration
★Superior Performance in Windy Conditions
★Time Tests from 5 flights with CF never showed less than <18:30 or more than >21.50
★Time Tests from 5 flights with OE never showed less than<18:00 or more than >20:15
◇◇attempted to fly same obstacle course consisting of ▪alt to 150' full throttle and laps around
a dog park until 1st alarm sounded-then rapid desent too 10' off deck until 10% battery left.

**Now it was very windy the day I did this & the gusts were all over the place, so I don't put very much in these time findings. Reason I have never posted them, had my wife watching the FPV & our k9's @ the same time....
So I honestly couldn't say the times listed are accurate. Lets just say I'm pretty sure the times were not worse & most likely a little better...
★Overall after testing them the only 2 negitive characteristics I found were the safety issue.
◆THE CF PROPS ARE WITH OUT A DOUBT MORE DANGEROUS, I added ★Prop Guards★ to minimalize this issue.
◆And there louder than the OE Props.
I can summarize the issue of; "Why I Like them do much?

I just prefer the way they fly...simple

Now I was goofing on how they looked!!!
Even though I feel anyone stating that white plastic looks better than composite carbon fiber is a LIAR! So it is merely a coincidence that the colors due seem to be favored by me as shown in my WKA Championship Race photo!!! LOL

I hope this puts MHO of the CF Props issue to rest & is helpful to those curious...
Respectfully,
MOOSE

Attachments

• 20140402_223244.jpg
    20140402_223244.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 941
Moose said:
I did my own research into buying a set of ★aftermarket P2V CF Props★ and found a Co. who made the ◆self-tight design in CF.(Did'nt even consider buying the type with seperate nuts)

Respectfully,
MOOSE

Do you mind sharing the name of this company?

I purchased some CF props with the nuts off EBAY and they where horrible with terrible build quality. I initially didnt check for balance and was going to do a quick hoover test but as soon as the P2V left the ground it was obvious there was a major problem. I quickly landed without incident and when I checked for weight the heaviest was 20% heavier than the lightest and not a single one was balanced. I haven't wasted my time trying to balance these things but would be interested in a set of good quality self tightening ones to try.

Moose said:
BTW★ There are now CF Skids for P2V's selling on Ebay that are interesting★
About $45 I think....
Moose

cool but i dont really care for the antennas just dangling down like they have them..would look cool though with a painted black or grey vision.

FourWheelers said:
yawnalot29 said:
Moose,

where did you buy your well made, balanced CF prop for P2V?

I'd also like to know since I'm looking for more props.

OK I just visited Redrocket hobbys online store and if you enter phantom vision in the product search section, the CF Props I own & have tested are at a great price for the set of 4,$25.
Moose

Moose said:
OK I just visited Redrocket hobbys online store and if you enter phantom vision in the product search section, the CF Props I own & have tested are at a great price for the set of 4,$25.
Moose

Thanks!

Here's what I got:

"Phantom Vision" search resulted http://www.redrockethobbies.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=phantom+vision:

There seems to be 2 version:

$29.99
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Self-Tightening-Carbon-Fiber-props-Phantom2-p/maymtcp9443q(2).htm

$23.99
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Self-Tightening-Carbon-Fiber-props-Phantom2-p/maymtcp9443q-p(2).htm

I assume you tested the $23.99 one. They seem to look identical except cosmetic flaws (but not impacting flight performance). Looks like good value.

yawnalot29 said:
Moose said:
Moose

Thanks!

Here's what I got:

"Phantom Vision" search resulted http://www.redrockethobbies.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=phantom+vision:

There seems to be 2 version:

$29.99
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Self-Tightening-Carbon-Fiber-props-Phantom2-p/maymtcp9443q(2).htm

$23.99
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Self-Tightening-Carbon-Fiber-props-Phantom2-p/maymtcp9443q-p(2).htm

I assume you tested the $23.99 one. They seem to look identical except cosmetic flaws (but not impacting flight performance). Looks like good value.

After looking at your posts- I have biught 2 sets of the 23.99's & 1 set if 29.99's. I have tested the 29.99. And have kept them on the P2V for 60+ hrs now with flawless results. The props look -★Exactly★as they did the day I opened them out if the plastic seal they came in....

Moose

Only reason I wouldn't use CF props is that I like the way the stock props break in an accident. I'd rather the prop break then something else, like say the motor or shaft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik