Carbon props for the Phantom

MX45OR said:
I found some interesting props today wandering aimlessly through some websites.
They probably need some serious balancing.
http://rc-drones.com/gemfan9x5.php
They are priced right too

Those are some big sticks! They look impressive on that Phantom.

tanasit said:
Cheap but good quality 3 out of 4 is perfectly balance.
Need setting the gain higher or else it will oscillate.

def a good price.
but what does that mean by setting the gain higher (I've yet to delve into the gain setting and stuff in my Phantom).
and what's oscillation that occurs?

Gizmo3000 said:
tanasit said:
Cheap but good quality 3 out of 4 is perfectly balance.
Need setting the gain higher or else it will oscillate.

def a good price.
but what does that mean by setting the gain higher (I've yet to delve into the gain setting and stuff in my Phantom).
and what's oscillation that occurs?
Stock prop is flexible but the carbon one is super stiff thus gives different reaction to the GAIN setting. It depends on several factors (prop size and pitch, total flying weight, wind, etc), you will have to experiment on the gain setting. The stiff prop is much more sensitive to the balancing act by varying the speed of each motors, the carbon prop has more (quicker) respond so much so that the correction is over compensated and as a result produces the oscillation effects. This is similar to the coreless servo or digital servo for the rc helicopter rudder that needs to reduce the gyro setting otherwise the helicopter will oscillate or "fish tailing".
You can set the gain for the stock props up to 180% with no oscillation, try it and you will see.

tanasit said:
[
Stock prop is flexible but the carbon one is super stiff thus gives different reaction to the GAIN setting. It depends on several factors (prop size and pitch, total flying weight, wind, etc), you will have to experiment on the gain setting. The stiff prop is much more sensitive to the balancing act by varying the speed of each motors, the carbon prop has more (quicker) respond so much so that the correction is over compensated and as a result produces the oscillation effects. This is similar to the coreless servo or digital servo for the rc helicopter rudder that needs to reduce the gyro setting otherwise the helicopter will oscillate or "fish tailing".
You can set the gain for the stock props up to 180% with no oscillation, try it and you will see.

Interesting. so you change your gain in the NAZA software right?
never touched that stuff, but I'm def going to delve into it, as the Phantom does seem to react a bit fast to commands, and I want smooth flight!
is there a read-me that discusses all the settings?

No readme.txt but for less sensitive to the stick command, decrease the gain 10 at a time until you get the feel you want but you also want to make sure that it is still stable while hovering.
I only change pitch, roll and yaw gain.

tanasit said:
No readme.txt but for less sensitive to the stick command, decrease the gain 10 at a time until you get the feel you want but you also want to make sure that it is still stable while hovering.
I only change pitch, roll and yaw gain.

So you change it in the NAZA software,. then go out and fly and see how it behaves?
..then repeat as necessary?

Yes it is a tedious job but once done you will get the idea of what to set next time.
Play with the setting and you will never be satisfied. :)
Before I bought a laptop, I had to use my desktop and get 1 setting then drove to test at the field 5 miles away.
At one point, I'd been doing that on a daily basis for over a month to get where I like (for my Y6).
With the Phantom, you should be close to what you aim for in a few trials.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20