Carbon fibre props

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Phantom 2 with H23D gimbal and Go Pro 3, iOS D mini and AVL-58 transmitter attached. Which carbon fibre props are the best for this setup? Do they vary depending on the weight of the drone? I also have prop guards but the Phantom has flipped over on occasion causing damage to the factory Phantom props.

rodemic said:
Hi, I have a Phantom 2 with H23D gimbal and Go Pro 3, iOS D mini and AVL-58 transmitter attached. Which carbon fibre props are the best for this setup? Do they vary depending on the weight of the drone? I also have prop guards but the Phantom has flipped over on occasion causing damage to the factory Phantom props.

The stock P2 props are considered best. Carbon fiber props do not work well on the P2.

ianwood said:
The stock P2 props are considered best. Carbon fiber props do not work well on the P2.

ordered some stock props yesterday. some of those 3rd party (carbon fiber) props looked cool, but i figured it'd be best to stick with what definitely works. this post and a few others i read today are making me feel good about my decision.

Why do you imagine that carbon props will be better?

What problems are you trying to solve?

If you're still using training wheels (prop guards) what benefit do you hope to see
by switching to carbon props?[/quote]

Hey, prop guards rule! I am a 10 year hardcore heli pilot now into quads and I have no problems flying them. But I like the looks of the props, especially more visible in the air, and they do protect the props during transport. Just saying.

I figured they would be stronger and not chip/snap as easily as the stock ones. I guess this is not the case?

I tried carbon even the T-Motor 80.00 props on both the P1 and P2 back to the P2 Stock Props on both. They just fly better with the P2 props in my opnion. I also went back to stock motors after trying the T-Motors (189.00) was not impressed with them either. Seems like DJI did their homework. I did go with and really like these they even weigh very close to the much smaller stock gear. Alot more stable and gets the Znemuse up a little higher.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251435080395?ss ... 1497.l2649

Dtacmed said:
I tried carbon even the T-Motor 80.00 props on both the P1 and P2 back to the P2 Stock Props on both. They just fly better with the P2 props in my opnion. I also went back to stock motors after trying the T-Motors (189.00) was not impressed with them either. Seems like DJI did their homework. I did go with and really like these they even weigh very close to the much smaller stock gear. Alot more stable and gets the Znemuse up a little higher.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251435080395?ss ... 1497.l2649

The only problem with those taller gear is they won't fit in most cases while mounted. They do look nice though.

Carbon fibre props are an excellent match for the antigravity kit mentioned above.

There are two main failure points in a prop/motor. Bearings and prop hubs. Carbon props on stock motors makes little sense, and while not necessary, the extra punch the antigravity motors afford you, as well as the associated increase in load on the props during aggressive moves or saves (because of this new found punch) are best matched to carbon props. Not just any though. Most are for show. The t-motor carbon props are amazing quality and unlike the stock props under load, they don't dynamically de-pitch (twisting of the prop). This means you have all the thrust the motor can give all the time.

Now, why someone would go back to stock motors is beyond me. Antigravity motors have FAR better bearings and a fractional failure rate compared to the stock motors. The extra punch the motors give you helps get back some of the lost performance after adding all the gadgets, yet does so without a run time penalty. Add more rigid props, better performance and much MUCH better bearings and you have a sweet little upgrade that will improve the looks and reliability of your phantom.

Cheers

Magnumb said:
Carbon fibre props are an excellent match for the antigravity kit mentioned above.

There are two main failure points in a prop/motor. Bearings and prop hubs. Carbon props on stock motors makes little sense, and while not necessary, the extra punch the antigravity motors afford you, as well as the associated increase in load on the props during aggressive moves or saves (because of this new found punch) are best matched to carbon props. Not just any though. Most are for show. The t-motor carbon props are amazing quality and unlike the stock props under load, they don't dynamically de-pitch (twisting of the prop). This means you have all the thrust the motor can give all the time.

Now, why someone would go back to stock motors is beyond me. Antigravity motors have FAR better bearings and a fractional failure rate compared to the stock motors. The extra punch the motors give you helps get back some of the lost performance after adding all the gadgets, yet does so without a run time penalty. Add more rigid props, better performance and much MUCH better bearings and you have a sweet little upgrade that will improve the looks and reliability of your phantom.

Cheers

Thanks for that info! Food for thought, something to consider when I get a bit better at flying.

Magnumb said:

Cheers

Where is a good place to buy these motor's? I'm in the USA.

DesertFlyer53 said:

http://www.dronefly.com/ProductDetails. ... e=T-Motors

They're price-fixed just like DJI's hardware so they'll cost the same anywhere.

EDIT: I had an amazon link there at first, but then noticed they might not be selling the newer version of the motors with the cross-threading needed for the P2 props.

OI Photography said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

EDIT: I had an amazon link there at first, but then noticed they might not be selling the newer version of the motors with the cross-threading needed for the P2 props.

I'm confused. Don't I want the cross-threaded newer version so I can use my P2 props?

OK. re-read your previous post. You recommend ditching the stock props and going with carbon fiber props. Can you recommend the right props also?

DesertFlyer53 said:
OI Photography said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

I'm confused. Don't I want the cross-threaded newer version so I can use my P2 props?

Correct, sorry for the confusion. It looked like the ones Amazon is selling may not be that newer model, so I found the right ones at dronefly.

For your reference, the newer ones with the right threads have the model number MN2214-11. The older model is missing the -11 at the end.

I don't use CF props now, once I got the stock DJI P2 props I haven't used anything else since. They may not be the best in every scenario, but they're hard to beat in terms of flight times.

OI Photography said:
I don't use CF props now, once I got the stock DJI P2 props I haven't used anything else since. They may not be the best in every scenario, but they're hard to beat in terms of flight times.

Got it. I'll go with the drone fly motors. I would prefer to use my stock Phantom 2/vision props. Am I correct to assume that the stock props will screw on the same way as the old motors? They are all "self tightening" correct?

DesertFlyer53 said:
OI Photography said:

Got it. I'll go with the drone fly motors. I would prefer to use my stock Phantom 2/vision props. Am I correct to assume that the stock props will screw on the same way as the old motors? They are all "self tightening" correct?

You got it. They will probably take a little more effort to screw on to the t-motors at first (I experienced that and so have others), but they will screw all the way down with a little work. After screwing them on/off a few times they'll take less effort.

DKXjdGtl.jpg

OI Photography said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
OI Photography said:

You got it. They will probably take a little more effort to screw on to the t-motors at first (I experienced that and so have others), but they will screw all the way down with a little work. After screwing them on/off a few times they'll take less effort.

DKXjdGtl.jpg

Outstanding! Thank you very much for your help. How much more flight time have you gained? I here they will give you about a minute more flight time. Doesn't sound like a lot but every little bit helps when you're carrying a lot of weight. Also less vibration too and better bearings. Did you feel the price was worth the upgrade? I think that better motors is worth the price. Bad motor=crash!

DesertFlyer53 said:
Outstanding! Thank you very much for your help. How much more flight time have you gained? I here they will give you about a minute more flight time. Doesn't sound like a lot but every little bit helps when you're carrying a lot of weight. Also less vibration too and better bearings. Did you feel the price was worth the upgrade? I think that better motors is worth the price. Bad motor=crash!

My pleasure! I don't think I've gained much flight time with the new motors, maybe a minute in best-case conditions. They do "feel" and sound like they run smoother than the DJI stock motors but I can't really put any hard numbers on that. For me the purchase was worth it simply because I feel more comfortable running motors made by a company with that as their core business.

Not trying to stir the pot but just want to put it out there...

There are a bunch of people who got the anti-gravity motors, went through all the effort to install them and ended up wishing they never did. And a number of others have said they noticed no difference. And then there are some who love them. The bearings may be better but you can also put ceramic bearings that are just as good if not better in your stock motors for about $70 (once you've crashed enough times to mush up the stock bearings).

And no matter what, don't touch any CF props. Only use stock OEM P2 props! At least until a third party can design ones that don't suck.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie