Carbon Fiber Reinforced Props

Reaction score
Hey guys,

After a month of waiting, I finally received my carbon fiber reinforced props from the DJI store. These things are badass looking, if nothing else.
Take a look at my first impression video, which included these things in action in slow motion (240 frames per second).

Here is a followup video discussing the weight a little further.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

After a month of waiting, I finally received my carbon fiber reinforced props from the DJI store. These things are badass looking, if nothing else.
Take a look at my first impression video, which included these things in action in slow motion (240 frames per second).

Definitely lighter? Have you weighed them for accurate comparison? I heard that they were slightly heavier and that the motors had to do much more work to spin them in the first place, also everyone's battery life per flight has been shorter because of the extra weight.

I also heard that because of the rigidity of the blades and extra thrust, that the stability is compromised, and that on descent the turbulence is higher yet again compromising stability. Lots of people crashed on these props after many flights on the plastic ones.

If you have time, I'd like for you to address what I wrote here, because almost all of the user feedback I have seen has been negative.

In fact it's because of all of that negative feedback that I cancelled my CF prop order.

Definitely lighter? Have you weighed them for accurate comparison? I heard that they were slightly heavier and that the motors had to do much more work to spin them in the first place, also everyone's battery life per flight has been shorter because of the extra weight.

I also heard that because of the rigidity of the blades and extra thrust, that the stability is compromised, and that on descent the turbulence is higher yet again compromising stability. Lots of people crashed on these props after many flights on the plastic ones.

If you have time, I'd like for you to address what I wrote here, because almost all of the user feedback I have seen has been negative.

In fact it's because of all of that negative feedback that I cancelled my CF prop order.

That is interesting, because they are obviously lighter. I don't even need a scale to tell that. I cannot speak to performance of them yet, but they are undoubtedly lighter. I will see about getting an accurate scale to prove it.

That is interesting, because they are obviously lighter. I don't even need a scale to tell that. I cannot speak to performance of them yet, but they are undoubtedly lighter. I will see about getting an accurate scale to prove it.

Alright cool! I'm basing your review as a deciding point as to whether I should re-order them or not. There is a dealer I use on eBay that will have them in my mailbox within a week and I ordered 4 sets for my two P3Ps - that is, until I read a ton of reviews that all came back pretty negative for the most part. Lots of people reported the motors running hotter and battery depletion. They said it flew faster and was a big aggressive and sensitive. Then lots of people said they had issues with descent and overall stability :-( so I cancelled after that.

Alright cool! I'm basing your review as a deciding point as to whether I should re-order them or not. There is a dealer I use on eBay that will have them in my mailbox within a week and I ordered 4 sets for my two P3Ps - that is, until I read a ton of reviews that all came back pretty negative for the most part. Lots of people reported the motors running hotter and battery depletion. They said it flew faster and was a big aggressive and sensitive. Then lots of people said they had issues with descent and overall stability :-( so I cancelled after that.

Check this guys video that I found. He even shows them being weighed. I think they might have update them or something. A lot of the people that had problems with them were over a month ago it seems like. And then this one took 4 weeks to get to me, so maybe they had to update the product? Just a thought

Reactions: merophosis
Check this guys video that I found. He even shows them being weighed. I think they might have update them or something. A lot of the people that had problems with them were over a month ago it seems like. And then this one took 4 weeks to get to me, so maybe they had to update the product? Just a thought

That's very possible. I'm awaiting your review, my friend.

Fly safe!

Sir, I would ask that you weigh your original set of props vs. this set. I know that people want to believe the money they've spent is for a good reason. However, from everything I've read about the CF props being offered thus far, they are simply plastic props with a CF overlay to make them more rigid. One cannot add a layer of ANYTHING to a given prop already in production without adding to their weight.

Sir, I would ask that you weigh your original set of props vs. this set. I know that people want to believe the money they've spent is for a good reason. However, from everything I've read about the CF props being offered thus far, they are simply plastic props with a CF overlay to make them more rigid. One cannot add a layer of ANYTHING to a given prop already in production without adding to their weight.

I will try to get a scale and weigh them for you. However, they are worth the purchase to me because eI like the look of them.

Also, your logic of weight is inaccurate. If you take on item and you wish to overlay something onto it to make it more rigid, yet keep the exact same dimensions of the overall product (they are the same dimensions for lift and thrust), it is certainly possible to make it lighter. This can be achieved if the material you add to it is light than the material that you removed to keep the same dimensions.

I will try to get a scale and weigh them for you. However, they are worth the purchase to me because eI like the look of them.

Also, your logic of weight is inaccurate. If you take on item and you wish to overlay something onto it to make it more rigid, yet keep the exact same dimensions of the overall product (they are the same dimensions for lift and thrust), it is certainly possible to make it lighter. This can be achieved if the material you add to it is light than the material that you removed to keep the same dimensions.

PhantomJAK, you simply CAN NOT take a given prop, put more stuff on it (CF overlay) and expect it to be lighter. Without a doubt, it will be more rigid. However, that presents its own set of performance envelops and issues.

I can see where these types of props would be beneficial. Yet also, without those props being constructed of ONLY CF materials, you're not going to convince me they are lighter.

I have a postage meter like most people. I would be quite willing to order a set to show the difference in weight. They WILL weigh more. Simple fact given their origins.

PhantomJAK, you simply CAN NOT take a given prop, put more stuff on it (CF overlay) and expect it to be lighter. Without a doubt, it will be more rigid. However, that presents its own set of performance envelops and issues.

I can see where these types of props would be beneficial. Yet also, without those props being constructed of ONLY CF materials, you're not going to convince me they are lighter.

I have a postage meter like most people. I would be quite willing to order a set to show the difference in weight. They WILL weigh more. Simple fact given their origins.

You are not reading what I wrote. These props are the same dimensions (i.e. thickness, etc) so it is clear that they simply did not "Just add a CF overlay".

Also, watch the video a couple of posts up that I shared. He clearly weighs them right after the stock white ones and they are 2 grams lighter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nannerz
You are not reading what I wrote. These props are the same dimensions (i.e. thickness, etc) so it is clear that they simply did not "Just add a CF overlay".

Sir, I've read up on these extensively. The props I've read about are overlaid. NOT fully carbon fiber. This could mean a LOT of different things. At worst, it means they took an original prop and then, sanded it down so they could overlay CF and build it back up. At best, they took a regular prop, sanded down a very minute amount and then, overlaid it with CF and then balanced the prop.

Should a purely carbon fiber prop be produced, I'll be interested. As they stand right now, I'm not interested as they will have little benefit over the stock props. I do have some experience in full sized helicopter rotor blade construction and this isn't, as of this point, impressing me very much.

Sir, as I requested, simply weigh your original props and then, see what your CF overlaid props weigh. If the company you've ordered from is giving a true product, then it will, at a minimum, weigh the same as your originals. If you've actually managed to find a company making fully carbon fiber props, then that weight loss will be evident and I would highly interested in knowing the source.

Good luck to you sir.

Send them to me and I'll weight them for ya! [emoji12]
Seriously though, all the speculation means nothing. A scale will let us know and won't lie.
Keep us posted when you get them weighed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sir, I've read up on these extensively. The props I've read about are overlaid. NOT fully carbon fiber. This could mean a LOT of different things. At worst, it means they took an original prop and then, sanded it down so they could overlay CF and build it back up. At best, they took a regular prop, sanded down a very minute amount and then, overlaid it with CF and then balanced the prop.

Should a purely carbon fiber prop be produced, I'll be interested. As they stand right now, I'm not interested as they will have little benefit over the stock props. I do have some experience in full sized helicopter rotor blade construction and this isn't, as of this point, impressing me very much.

Sir, as I requested, simply weigh your original props and then, see what your CF overlaid props weigh. If the company you've ordered from is giving a true product, then it will, at a minimum, wiegh the same as your originals. If you've actually managed to find a company making fully carbon fiber props, then that weight loss will be evident and I would highly interested in knowing the source.

Good luck to you sir.

These are the DJI Carbon fiber reinforced ones from the DJI store. Of course they are not pure carbon fiber. You need to get your facts correct before attacking me. No where in my video did I state they are pure carbon fiber.

Facts:
1. These props are lighter
2. I like the black look
3. They are worth it to me to purchase.
4. I was just giving my personal opinion on them and initial impression in case someone else might be interested in them.

Feel free to exit this thread at any time.

Send them to me and I'll weight them for ya! [emoji12]
Seriously though, all the speculation means nothing. A scale will let us know and won't lie.
Keep us posted when you get them weighed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Check this video out and fast forward to 2:40. He weighs them right then and there. I don't have time to get a scale right now, but I will get one this weekend to put this to bed.

Reactions: AmosMoses
The carbon reinforced ones are a bit lighter but it doesnt matter at all, the difference is not from interest because its so little. They are not made from carbon fibre, its still plastic but reinforced a bit with carbon fibre. Real carbon fibre is more expansive and laminated carbon fibre layers in synthetic resin etc.. This is super light and flexible. The reinforced plastic ones are just made to be stiffer and more rigid i guess because stiffer props make the quad more nimble to steering inputs. So please dont think they are made from carbon fibre, i guess this is a little bit misleading here. Real carbin fibre props are for example the t-motors antigravity 9*3 but they are of course much more expansive and they are only 9*3

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean.. Carbon Fiber Reinforced is what it says on the packaging or website, then it means it's an overlay.

These are the DJI Carbon fiber reinforced ones from the DJI store. Of course they are not pure carbon fiber. You need to get your facts correct before attacking me. No where in my video did I state they are pure carbon fiber.

Facts:
1. These props are lighter
2. I like the black look
3. They are worth it to me to purchase.
4. I was just giving my personal opinion on them and initial impression in case someone else might be interested in them.

Feel free to exit this thread at any time.

Sir, I have not, at ANY time, "attacked" you.

All I've done is simply request that you weigh your original props vs. these CF overlaid ones. I suspect they will be the same weight or, heavier. The video you posted showed a man who may or may not have zeroed his scale. He seems fairly confused on certain points.

Before I order a set myself, I'd like to know your observations. If these are props that have been shaved down and then, CF overlaid, I have no issues with that! CF will just make them stronger. Remove some flexibility which means I need to know that for flight characteristics, but they will be stronger.

I'm a bit confused as to how you could be so offended by my questions. I simply wish to know some true facts provided by a fellow flier.

The carbon reinfirced ones are a bit lighter but it doesnt matter at all. They are not made from carbon fibre, its still plastic but reinforced a bit with carbon fibre. Real carbon fibre is more expansive and laminated carbon fibre layers in synthetic resin etc.. This is super light and flexible. The reinforced plastic ones are just made to be stiffer and more rigid i guess because stigger props make the quad more nimble to steering inputs. So please dont think they are made from carbon fibre, i guess this is a little bit misleading here. Real carbin fibre props are for example the t-motors antigravity 9*3 but they are of course much more expansive and they are only 9*3
Ask the DJI Reps on the site.--- maybe that can add a little light to this interesting subject.

Sir, I have not, at ANY time, "attacked" you.

All I've done is simply request that you weigh your original props vs. these CF overlaid ones. I suspect they will be the same weight or, heavier. The video you posted showed a man who may or may not have zeroed his scale. He seems fairly confused on certain points.

Before I order a set myself, I'd like to know your observations. If these are props that have been shaved down and then, CF overlaid, I have no issues with that! CF will just make them stronger. Remove some flexibility which means I need to know that for flight characteristics, but they will be stronger.

I'm a bit confused as to how you could be so offended by my questions. I simply wish to know some true facts provided by a fellow flier.

I think we are starting to get somewhere here. We can all agree that these are in no way 100% pure carbon fiber props. Neither you nor I claim for them to be. I know they are lighter because I am holding them, however I WILL go out and get a scale to do an accurate weight test to compare them and I will post them to this site for you guys. Give me a day or so to get this done for you. I will also do some flight tests and observations with these to compare to the stock ones.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
I think we are starting to get somewhere here. We can all agree that these are in no way 100% pure carbon fiber props. Neither you nor I claim for them to be. I know they are lighter because I am holding them, however I WILL go out and get a scale to do an accurate weight test to compare them and I will post them to this site for you guys. Give me a day or so to get this done for you. I will also do some flight tests and observations with these to compare to the stock ones.

Brother, I would LOVE some first hand knowledge! I have almost ordered these things for my P2V+ V3 on about five different occasions. I'm just a bit gun-shy knowing what I do about CF produced parts vs. "reinforced" parts.

I would be highly interested in knowing their weight and, if you're able, their balance. I have the scale and balancing ability, so before I make that purchase, I'd just like to know from first hand experience what you think of them.

Flight wise, I would expect a much more stable and responsive bird. However, if they're significantly heavier, it would place more of a load on the motors which would result in less flight time and less motor life.

I look forward to your experience with some real, outright data. So many posts here just say, "They're lighter because I said so and with them, I fly longer because I said so!"

Just looking forward to some true, unaltered data man.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj