Carbon fiber props and interference

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm starting this post to see if anyone has experienced this problem. I recently purchased carbon fiber props for my P3P . I took it out this afternoon and noticed it wasn't acting quite right. It seems to over adjust four Wind and it wasn't as responsive as before. I'm not talking about just the attitude from the props I'm talking commands from the remote control. It seemed to have a mind of it's own. I had an extremely hard time landing because it would jump from side to side. Initially I thought it was my IMU calibration. So I took it in recalibrated and tried again with no luck. The only other thing that has changed was the props. So I've put back my old stock props and wouldn't you know it flies like new. Please beware if there's anyone else out there considering carbon fiber props I personally would not recommend it.

Very strange. I suppose in theory carbon is a conductor and it could interfere with the GPS signal. If placing foil on top of your P3 can block the GPS I suppose some types of carbon fibre would as well.

Very strange. I suppose in theory carbon is a conductor and it could interfere with the GPS signal. If placing foil on top of your P3 can block the GPS I suppose some types of carbon fibre would as well.
Yes that is exactly what I Think is happening. I'm not sure if it's with the GPS or the IMU . I was able to bring up my sensors on my tablet and noticed the Numbers jumping around quite radically therefore the bird was trying to compensate. It was pretty scary for a minute. I'm sorry I started this post I didn't notice the other one, but I see other people have used these without any issue.

Did you use DJI carbon reinforced props or any third party?

I'm using DJI CF reinforced props since day one of P3 and I never had any issue. Just to prove your point, I will try stock white props too and see if that gets me better control or do I see any difference?

Last edited:
I recently purchased carbon fiber props for my P3P . I took it out this afternoon and noticed it wasn't acting quite right. .. I had an extremely hard time landing because it would jump from side to side.
Probably not a GPS related issue as the props don't cover the GPS antena but if it was particularly noticed on landing it may have been that the antennas in the legs were blanketed
Initially I thought it was my IMU calibration. So I took it in recalibrated and tried again with no luck. So I've put back my old stock props and wouldn't you know it flies like new. Please beware if there's anyone else out there considering carbon fiber props I personally would not recommend it.
People don't appreciate the amount of effort DJI's design engineers put into producing a tuned propulsion system with the motors, ESCs and props are all matched to work with the Phantom.
You aren't likely to improve by swapping random aftermarket parts.

Probably not a GPS related issue as the props don't cover the GPS antena but if it was particularly noticed on landing it may have been that the antennas in the legs were blanketed

People don't appreciate the amount of effort DJI's design engineers put into producing a tuned propulsion system with the motors, ESCs and props are all matched to work with the Phantom.

I would have to say I agree with that completely. Performance right out of box is superior to any upgrades I have tried. That's what happens when the weather gets cold I get bored.

Did you use DJI carbon reinforced props or any third party?

I'm using DJI CF reinforced props since day one of P3 and I never had any issue. Just to prove your point, I will try stock white props too and see if that gets me better control or do I see any difference?

Lesson to us: Let's not use third party props. Stock props are not expensive, there is no reason to get into trouble. It's important part of the engine of P3.

Reactions: flybid

The props are on top of the P3 and almost touch in the middle. They are between the gps sensor and the sky. Having said that without proper testing my theory could be way off!!! Bit of a coincidence though!

Never been a fan of the carbon fiber props. The stock props work perfectly & are less likely to shatter in an impact. I do wish DJI offered the stock material props in black, as well as a black version (faux carbon fiber look) of the P3 (including controller).

Reactions: flybid
The props are on top of the P3 and almost touch in the middle. They are between the gps sensor and the sky. Having said that without proper testing my theory could be way off!!! Bit of a coincidence though!
Here's my old P2V+ giving an idea how big the gap is ... plenty enough for GPS reception.
i-BQ4TNgZ.jpg

Yes they are third party. But I think I'll just stick with the stock setup it seems to work just fine.
Ive had 3rd party props be unstable in flight and wreck phantoms. Never had a good 3rd party prop and data shows stock 9450's work slightly better that dji brand carbon fiber

I only use third party CF props. When I check them for balance they are almost perfect. The standard props deform under load and therefore give less thrust.

Reactions: Timritchieblue
I use to CF props. With my battery mod in the amount of weight it adds I'm a little worried that the plastic standard props could break in flight specially with the active braking. T motor 9538 props actually improved my flight time but they were little bit unstable and I lost some speed. Definitely not worth $100 it costed to try them out.

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
I only use third party CF props. When I check them for balance they are almost perfect. The standard props deform under load and therefore give less thrust.
What information do you have to support this claim? Testing would show that there is no gain with CF props. DJI states the same.

I do believe you would be wrong with that assumption. The 4 props have a full 4 inches of clearance between blade tips. The GPS antenna is only 2 inches across leaving more than an inch of blue sky clearance all the way around the antenna.

dji_phantom_3_stripped_13.jpg

Dji Phantom 3: Torn Down Before Taking Off! First Ever Phantom 3 Live Anatomy! - MakeTheOne

The satellite signals do not all come down vertically! Some are bound to come through the arc of the props. If the props reflect GPS signals it could cause problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik