Carbon Fiber propellers

While I have not tried carbon fiber propellers I have read the regulations in a lot of countries outside the United States which specifically requires the stock propellers. Stock propellers tend to cause less bodily harm if accidentally become in contact with a human being, meaning if the drone was to accidentally hit a person it would cause less harm. If you are not going to travel outside the United States with the drone you do not have to worry about that regulation.

On the other hand DJI has a slew of 700 engineers, Design, Electrical, Mechanical to mention a few, which spends hundreds of hours conducting tests in labs and have all concluded thru scientific tests that the current design of propellers is adequate for the drone for various reasons. In another words there is no real benefit to carbon fiber propellers, not to mention once the drone is 300 ft in the air no one will see them anyway.

Be careful, I have also read threads about crashes related to carbon fiber propellers. Such crash will definitely, inarguably will be not a warranty issue.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the carbon fiber propellers from drone world?

Not sure why you are asking, but its very simple, carbon props are for agility, and will only introduce more vibes into your craft, and be less forgiving, it will probably therefore also make the craft more nervous as the IMUs will pick up the extra vibrations and start translating corrections.
So if you are asking for photography purposes, its just a waste of money and picture quality...
Only large drones with longer prop arms and heavier payloads would benefit from this, as polycarbonate props will be too soft for heavylifters.

I used Carbon Fiber for awhile on my P3P and when I went back to stock glad I did. I think it was costing me some time on the flight and other then that did nothing for the price.

If the CF props are properly balanced there would not be any increase in vibration and could wind up being a tad less than the stock props as I doubt they are balanced. A well designed CF prop could be a bit more aerodynamic thus reducing drag therefore increasing flight time though the reduction in drag will tend to reduce yaw authority a bit. But, how do you know if the CF props you buy are more aerodynamic than stock props -- how can you know without testing and testing would be difficult as the difference would not likely be more than a few percent or probably less than 30 seconds flight time. You'd really have to bench test them and measure current and power as well as thrust and then do that with both sets of props and then switch back and forth several times.

So, although a properly designed set of CF props could give you a tad more flight time you could just as easily get less flight time. And, as has been mentioned, the plastic props will be less likely to cut your fingers off or do serious harm versus the CF props.

Brian

I was not aware of DJI actually was selling carbon fiber props. I've only seen the aftermarket ones that says "for DJI P4P".
I've seen a few articles/reviews on the CF props from Drone World and none were good.
I'd stick with stock props.
DJI sells the black plastic props, genuine DJI brand at Best Buy to go along with there BB black edition P4 so if you want the cool factor of black props just go with the DJI brand props. Not a CF prop "for DJI".

I had three different CF prop types different manufactures and different pitch for my two other quads (Yuneec) and I went back to stock props after noticing since they are so stiff the bird didn't handle the winds as well and didn't seem much improvement at all. They were the Aeronaut CAMcarbon Light,
MAYTECH 13x4.5 CF, and Maytech 13x3 CF. The Aeronaut CAMcarbon Light were made in Germany and Maytech made in China. All were factory balanced and I checked them all myself-all good.
The higher pitch did seem to be a little zippier in throttle response but even though I checked the balance on all of them my 4K grey Typhoon seemed to have more vibration in the camera gimbal than stock.
For sure the higher pitch I had to be more careful on descending down to avoid VRS and they chopped up the air below significantly. Descended using figure 8's, forward while left throttle down, circles, etc...

They did look cool but even after going back to the stock pitch Maytech CF aftermarket ones the ability for the quad to have flex in the props hindered the stability in video and still pics with much wind at all.
I didn't get any props in any of the videos due to the stiffness of the CF though.

Unless there was a specific DJI tested/manufactured prop that has been thoroughly tested with the P4P I'd steer clear of them.

I much prefer the stock props on all my quads. No difference in battery life/run time with stock or CF.

Just my take on them, your mileage my differ and you might have different experiences with yours but that is my observations regarding CF props.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4